SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : I asked the Lord that I might grow

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

I asked the Lord that I might grow

Saints of God, I felt led by the Holy Spirit to post this here, as I believe someone needs to read it. Whoever you are, let this hymn speak assurance into your weary, discouraged spirit. You will recognise the writer, John Newton, as being the author of the famous "Amazing Grace." In fact, "Amazing Grace" is but only one of his treasures; Newton's entire hymnody is filled with exquisite jewels yet to be discovered by our generation.

I asked the Lord that I might grow
In faith, and love, and every grace;
Might more of His salvation know,
And seek, more earnestly, His face.

’Twas He who taught me thus to pray,
And He, I trust, has answered prayer!
But it has been in such a way,
As almost drove me to despair.

I hoped that in some favored hour,
At once He’d answer my request;
And by His love’s constraining pow’r,
Subdue my sins, and give me rest.

Instead of this, He made me feel
The hidden evils of my heart;
And let the angry pow’rs of hell
Assault my soul in every part.

Yea more, with His own hand He seemed
Intent to aggravate my woe;
Crossed all the fair designs I schemed,
Blasted my gourds, and laid me low.

Lord, why is this, I trembling cried,
Wilt thou pursue thy worm to death?
“’Tis in this way, the Lord replied,
I answer prayer for grace and faith.

These inward trials I employ,
From self, and pride, to set thee free;
And break thy schemes of earthly joy,
That thou may’st find thy all in Me.”

John Newton

2006/7/14 7:22Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: I asked the Lord that I might grow

Paul,
This indeed is a jewel. I think I will copy/paste it in another document for future reference.

Just a comment: many on this board are hankering for revival and this is wonderful. But do we realize revival begins with me? With me submitting my entire being to God and allowing Him to cleanse me from head to toe and everything in between? Does revival not begin with death to the self-life and unless you are willing to let go, it will indeed be a traumatic time. But willingness to let go is the key to how traumatic it will be.

Which reminds me of an observation I made when talking with people who have a child that is terminally ill. I tell them how you need to submit yourself entirely to God in this matter (this is the short of the long) and in so doing you will experience the presense of God is a mystical sort of way. Would you know? people do NOT want to do that! (They cannot see beyond their immediate desires.) Which actually is very foolish because God is going to do/allow what he wills without our approval. So if you want to see things from God's viewpoint, you better move over to His side. (FYI, we had a DD who went to be with the LORD at 25 YO, leaving behind 2 children and a loving DH.)

Thanks for posting!

ginnyrose

2006/7/14 9:05Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Dear ginnyrose,

Before I answer your post, can you please tell me what a DD and a DH is? I see you work in a field that is related to mine. I'm a mortician, and I talk to the bereaved all the time. God bless you for responding to this post. Many people aren't interested in soul-searching surrender to God; they want instead to talk about the flashes of revival and other ephemeral stuff (not that revival isn't important!). It's just that I believe you hit the nail on the head - revival must happen in me first by allowing the sin-purifying flames of God to be applied to my own heart. Only then do I have the right to pray for revival to happen elsewhere.

Paul

2006/7/14 9:23Profile
roadsign

Re: A rare Jewel!!!!!!!

This hymn comforts my heart. Really it grants permission to accept our trials. It gives us permission to feel pain, to weep, to agonize, to grieve, and yet at the same time remain thankful to God.

It makes a powerful theological declaration: Our God uses fiery trials for his glory and for our growth.

Consider how this hymn affects the way we view life. Consider how it affects our prayers for others and also for ourselves.

This hymn is indeed a rare jewel. Thanks for posting it!

Diane

2006/7/14 10:02Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
A rare Jewel!!!!!!!

It's tremendous, isn't it! It refreshed my soul, gave me such comfort, such awe in the perfect ways of our God. Oh, Lord, cleanse us still more, let your glorious blaze reveal the hidden lusts and secret desires that still hold dominion over hearts!

2006/7/14 10:54Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy