SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Church History Project

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

One question I have is how you want to pull this together. A 'master list' of sorts?

This may depend on the technology we decide to use. If we use MSAccess the sorting and interrogation potential is endless. We could export the most popular sorts as an MSExcell spreadsheet which should make it more accessible to more people. Access is less distributed that Excell.

Let's wait and see what Stuart comes up with.

2004/1/14 5:36Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi all
I think we are paused while we wait for a first draft data fields and possible suggestions of what engine (access or excel) we use from AlmondBranch?
I received a couple of leaflets from an old friend of mine yesterday. He is in his mid-eighties, has been the Lord's from early teens, and has actually listened to some of our 'greats' in the flesh eg Campbell Morgan, Austin Sparkes. He used to live close to where Oswald Chambers had his Bible College on Clapham Common. He has had a long interest in the 'cross-referencing' of the saints. One of his leaflets is amagined musings of some of the 'greats' based on contemporaries and in some cases known meetings. For example he talks about the Wesleys meeting with Isaac Watts. It is a literary version of what we have in mind.

I am going to spend an afternoon with him and get him to talk. I'll record the chat as possible data for our project. I'll keep you in the picture.

2004/2/1 11:56Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I received a couple of leaflets from an old friend of mine yesterday. He is in his mid-eighties, has been the Lord's from early teens, and has actually listened to some of our 'greats' in the flesh eg Campbell Morgan, Austin Sparkes. He used to live close to where Oswald Chambers had his Bible College on Clapham Common.

:-o :-o :-o

Quote:
I think we are paused while we wait for a first draft data fields and possible suggestions of what engine (access or excel) we use from AlmondBranch?

Yes I am excited to forsure spend time on this project.. hmm but where is almodbranch?.. :-P

2004/2/1 11:58Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I wrote I received a couple of leaflets from an old friend of mine yesterday. He is in his mid-eighties, has been the Lord's from early teens, and has actually listened to some of our 'greats' in the flesh eg Campbell Morgan, Austin Sparkes. He used to live close to where Oswald Chambers had his Bible College on Clapham Common.

Greg wrote :-o :-o :-o

Greg,
to me that is one of the great blessings of your website. We are the first generation to have been able to listen to our spiritual ancestors. Their writings are wonderful, but there is something in the voice... I have introduced a young disciple in the church here to Duncan Campbell. He says 'you can tell from his voice that he is an eye-witness'. He's right.

You might even listen to some of these writers and the flow of their language is so amazing that you might wonder whether the drama was taking over, then you listen to them, and you hear the break in their voice as they struggle to express the things that are breaking their hearts, and you know you are listening to eye-witnessess.

Thank you again, dear brother, for yours and others labours on our behalf on this site. Public services in the UK have a rule of thumb that every one critical letter represents 300 more who felt the same but didn't write. I suspect that similar proportions may operate in Christian circles, so multiply that 'Thank you' by about 300 to get a better picture... ;-)

2004/2/2 0:10Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Re:

Sorry folks, I have been quite busy over the last couple of weeks and away from home for a bit.
Philologos, I will email you some sort of a template later on today, or more realisticaly tomorrow morning. We can take it from there.
:-)

2004/2/2 1:19Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Philologos, I will email you some sort of a template later on today, or more realisticaly tomorrow morning. We can take it from there.

thanks Ron (almondbranch) for your helping out so much :) is there any word on how this is going? I am one of those over anxious reseachers that wants to hit the books to help compile info for this project :-P

2004/2/9 11:41Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Ok, I've been gone for a while, someone fill me in on this by sending me an email. I would love to help out with this one.

2004/2/9 17:46Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Hulsey
Welcome home.
This thread represents the whole conversation. So if you read it from the beginning you will be as wise as the rest of us.
We are paused at present for first draft database structure that AlmondBranch is going to produce.
We need to think through how we can collect the data.

2004/2/9 22:29Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Are you looking for something like this?:

John Chrysostom:

From A.D.347-370 (youth, trained in rhetoric under the pagan Libanius from whom he recieved the name Chrysostom meaning "Golden Mouth". converted later in his youth to Christianity)

From A.D.370-381 (lived an ascetic and monastic life. composed his treatise on the priesthood to his friend Basil)

From A.D.381-398 (his public life as a priest--presbyter--and preacher in Antioch)

From A.D.398-404 (his time as bishop of Constantinople)

From A.D.404-407 (his exile and death)

Libanius when asked on his deathbed who would succeed him as the teacher of rhetoric at his school is reported to have said, "Ah, but it would have been none ohter than Chrysostom had the Christians not stolen him from us."

Chrysostom and some friends had formed a small monastic community in the city of Antioch after his mother had implored him not to leave for a monastary until after she had died. Begging him not to make her a widow yet once again probably moved young Chrysostom's heart to care for his mother until her death. So, making the best of the situation, he became a monk in his own home

At this point in history, those who sought after the monastic life actively avoided the appointment to public ministry for fear of all the temptations of power. However the piety and godliness of many of these men made them targets of the community for forceful ordination. Some were captured and tied up and brought before the local bishop to be ordained. The prevailing atmospere of the time was that once one was ordained to a community, he felt required to fulfill his call and would stay. Some coptic churches still practice this tradition by chaining and tieing up new preists about to be ordained into the ministry; although they go quite willingly now. To avoid this, Chrysostom even tricked his friend Basil into accepting ordination as a priest to avoid being elected himself. Some years later he would be forced into the office.

As his fame as an able preacher grew, it became clear that he would become the bishop of Antioch. However, when the bishop of Constantinople died, a detachment of soldiers was sent to Antioch to "kidnapp" Chrysostom and take him back to the eastern capital of the Roman Empire. The security was needed to avoid potential riots as he was very popular in the city.

Upon arriving in Constantinople he immediately set the Church on its ear. He defrocked all the Arian ministers and destroyed their churches, sold off all the un-needed church property and gave it to the the needy of the city. He opened a new hospital for the poor, and changed the service times so that the poor could come to the services.(It seems the last bishop had been in the pocket of the rich so to speak and only held services when most of the poorer working classes were working.)

He quickly drew the wrath of the emporer's wife. This confrontation would eventually lead to his banishment. On his journey to Pityus in the Caucasus Mts., one of the most inhospitable places in the empire, Chrysostom died. He was buried in the Chapel of the martyr Basiliscus on the 14th of September in 407. His remains were later taken back to Constantinople and reburied with the emporers and patriarchs beneath the altar of the Church of the holy Apostles.

2004/2/12 7:00Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

I think its going to be something more simplier as this:

----------------
Aiden Wilson Tozer (A.W. Tozer)
Born on April 21, 1897
Died on May 12, 1963

A 20th-century prophet" they called him even in his lifetime. His message was as fresh as it was uncompromising. His single purpose in life was to know God personally, and he encouraged others to do the same. He quickly discovered a deep, abiding relationship with God was something that had to be cultivated.
----------------

so the name, born, died, main church or ministry, short bio, *(mentors and people that influnced him/her).

2004/2/12 7:05Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy