SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Church History Project

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I was thinking of using a spreadsheet to collect the data. Is that the best way?

yes that would probably be best, is there going to be a field for the denomination or group they are associated with?

I think afterwards when all the information is compiled a simpler time could be constructed showing the main key people and associations. I am very excited about this :-P My 2000 book library is going to come in handy after all! Yes checking out alot of the influnencial quakers, brethren, wesleys, etc is going to be great!

2004/1/13 13:53Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Re:

I think that if the info is to be put into a real database we may need to define a few columns first. To give it any real meaning we would need to have the truth that this person emphasised as one of the columns. The idea of linking a person to his mentors would also be of benifit I believe.

for instance:

Name->Watchman Nee
Born->1903
Died->1972
Time of Ministry->1920-1952
Emphasis->Local Church
Mentors->Jessie Penn Lewis, T Austin Sparks, JND

Looking at the above I am thinking that the best solution is to have two tables interlinked. One with the basic bio info. One with truths empahsised. From those two, interesting queries could be done, like list all truths emphasised between 1800 and 1850 for example.

Thats just a rough idea off the top of my head, sitting down to plan it may yield the need for further tables and fields.

Great idea Ron.

2004/1/13 13:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Sure great idea, what do you think of Mike's idea of having a section for inter-linking relationships or who inspired (was the mentor) of the person?

Yes, definitely... a separate or integrated project? I only offered because I was interested. I would be happy for Mike to head up the whole thing if he has the time and inclination.

You do have to be careful with the web don't you? A quiet afternoon, a thought or two, and suddenly you have world-wide cottage industry on your hands! :-P

2004/1/13 13:57Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Thats just a rough idea off the top of my head, sitting down to plan it may yield the need for further tables and fields.

Greg
I don't know Mike's background, but Stuart (almondBranch) is a techie. How about asking him to spec it out for us? MSAccess might suite you better for your timeline? Stuart's relational database seems to be heading in that direction?

Perhaps we should let it bounce around for a day or two to see if any one else 'comes out of the woodwork'. Stuart's example of fields looks excellent to me.

This is exciting, I have wanted this for years!

2004/1/13 14:02Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Re:

Hi Ron,
Sort of like Issac when he re-dug his father, Abraham's wells. The first two were ones that he tried to dig in the places that he himself chose;1.Esek " to poison your eyes" ( best I can tell); strong implications here about what goes in a person.
2.Sitnah "hatred"; root word for Satan.
After failing , he went to:
1.Beer-lahai-roi,"The God who lives and sees what we do" :-o
2.Beer-sheba, "Well of the Covenant"; a great place to camp out. :-D
3.Rehoboth, "space, or room ". A place to grow. Sort of like sermonindex. ;-)
I 'm not sure, but I think this MIGHT preach Ron.
Clutch :-P

2004/1/13 16:10Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
but Stuart (almondBranch) is a techie. How about asking him to spec it out for us?

Stuart would you be able to set up the tables and the inter-linking in MS Access?

Ron (philogus) do you have MS Access on your computer and have you used it before. I still think you should gather all the info and if stuart could set it up or help you get the structure in the software program then all is left is Mike, Lars, me and others to go nuts on the web and research till we drop.. (hopefully not like flies). I will pace myself I can't speak for others though :-D

2004/1/13 16:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I have MSAccess97 SR-2. In the past I have written fairly simply databases for it but am now very rusty. I am comfortable enough to be a user/owner but if someone creates the database they will need to be sure to save it so that I can access it with MSAccess 97. Anyone familiar with MSAccess should be able to create entry forms etc

I am happy to assemble information as it becomes available.

Stuart, are you receiving us?

If others have other data fields (see AlmondBranch examples in this thread) in mind please let us know. This is not to commit anyone or make promises but it will be easier if we can get it right to begin with.

2004/1/13 17:19Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Sorry guys, all I can offer is moral support. This all is way over my head. Looking forward to the results, though. :-)

In Him, Chanin

2004/1/13 18:06Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Re:

Quote:
Stuart, are you receiving us?

Loud and clear. I would be glad to give it a go. I will spend some time tomorrow designing tables and playing around with relationships.

If anyone has any sugestions in the meantime...post away.

2004/1/13 19:31Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Whew! (Edited version)

Being that we have a rough outline going. Will start pulling together what I can from what I have, this will also force me to finish catagorizing my bookmark/favorites links.

Assuming that we will have info on certain individuals, for instance McChenyne coming from multiple sources, that should provide a good cross reference in documentation.

One question I have is how you want to pull this together. A 'master list' of sorts?

Knowing that Greg has a pretty vast library as well as a few others here, the coverage should be pretty good. Finding their mentors may prove to be a bit of a task, but I am willing to 'go fetch' out into the WWWilderness, hit the book store, whatever is necessary.

The question still remains if this would be a seperate or intergrated aspect of what you originally intended Ron. Feel that which ever way is the most convientient for you, that will make this go forward and not bog down...at your service.

Quote:
Perhaps we should let it bounce around for a day or two to see if any one else 'comes out of the woodwork'

Agreed

Mike

2004/1/13 20:45Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy