Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Church History Project

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Church History Project

Hi all
One of the things that becomes obvious as part of the sermonindex family is that there is a wealth of heart and experience and information out there.

I have been curious about something for many years and I think sermonindex may provide the solution. I would like to compile a database of the dates of preachers and teachers who have made significant contributions to the church of God. I have a hunch that God moves in waves and that truth has its high seasons in many places at the same time.

I would like to compile a list of dates to test out my theory. How about it? I am happy to compile the information if folk can supply it. A very simple format would suffice.

eg A W Tozer - borndate-glorydate - very brief bio.

Let me know what you think? Perhaps someone has already done this?

2004/1/13 9:46Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Church History Project

Quote:
Let me know what you think? Perhaps someone has already done this?

I think it is a spectacular idea! I don't think its really been done in a non-denominational setting and how far back do you want go Ron? I would help as much as possible and would love to help you display the findings.. maybe I could work on a timeline graphical image after with the compiled findings? :-P anyhow I think its a great idea count me in.

2004/1/13 9:59Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

----------------
Aiden Wilson Tozer (A.W. Tozer)
Born on April 21, 1897
Died on May 12, 1963

A 20th-century prophet" they called him even in his lifetime. His message was as fresh as it was uncompromising. His single purpose in life was to know God personally, and he encouraged others to do the same. He quickly discovered a deep, abiding relationship with God was something that had to be cultivated.
----------------

Is this a good format Ron?

2004/1/13 10:20Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

What a fantastic idea!
Think you might be on to something here Ron.
Are you thinking along the lines of the speakers here?

Another thought, at a later point maybe a cooresponding cross refrence of who inspired them.
Something that I keep finding is the close proxemity of influences, like a thread weaving through many of these greats.
Sorry, don't want to muddy the waters.
Perhaps I could take on part of that aspect, since I opened my big mouth...
:-D

2004/1/13 11:18Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Another thought, at a later point maybe a cooresponding cross refrence of who inspired them.

Yes I have noticed that there is a thread of inspiration and that people that where on the same level fellowshipped and were aware of one another even half way across the world. The best example of this is in the "Interview" video or audio where Leonard Ravenhill talks about alot of the men of God in his day and who inspired him.

This could be a really big task and in someways hard to find out.. but I since Mike offered!! lol I think if we all help out this could be done also ;-)

2004/1/13 11:25Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Greg wrote ----------------
Aiden Wilson Tozer (A.W. Tozer)
Born on April 21, 1897
Died on May 12, 1963

A 20th-century prophet" they called him even in his lifetime. His message was as fresh as it was uncompromising. His single purpose in life was to know God personally, and he encouraged others to do the same. He quickly discovered a deep, abiding relationship with God was something that had to be cultivated.
----------------

Is this a good format Ron?

This would be fine, perhaps an extra field (column) for the main geographical locations of their ministry?

2004/1/13 13:36Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
This would be fine, perhaps an extra field (column) for the main geographical locations of their ministry?

Sure great idea, what do you think of Mike's idea of having a section for inter-linking relationships or who inspired (was the mentor) of the person?

2004/1/13 13:42Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Hi Ron,
Jim Lutzweiler, who is the archivist at Southeastern Seminary, Wake Forrest, Univ. ( not the bartending school),has been very helpful to me in the past along these lines. I recently passed some related information to Greg (that I got from Jim) on Lynn G. Broughton. Broughton was among other things, a controversial preacher, and a contemporary, and personal friend of G.Campbell Morgan.
Jim Lutzweiler's email is: lutzjscn@infi.net. If that one doesn't work I've got another one I'll give you.
I expect any day to receive a copy of Greg's definative Doctoral Disertation on the life of Broughton. At this point and to my knowledge noone else has written it. :-D
Clutch :-P

2004/1/13 13:45Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Greg wrote I think it is a spectacular idea! I don't think its really been done in a non-denominational setting and how far back do you want go Ron? I would help as much as possible and would love to help you display the findings.. maybe I could work on a timeline graphical image after with the compiled findings? anyhow I think its a great idea count me in.

A time line would be wonderful, although it might get a bit congested. Did you ever see the shareware Chronos software. It was a good idea but very flaky in use.

How far back? mmm? I'm thinking about that timeline... but the Quakers seem to be a genuine fresh start. I think their views particularly on 'perfection' influenced the Wesleys. The Wesleys and the Quakers influenced the Salvation Army. The Salvation Army influenced Hudson Taylor and so on...

I was thinking of using a spreadsheet to collect the data. Is that the best way?

2004/1/13 13:49Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Clutch
you wrote Broughton was among other things, a controversial preacher, and a contemporary, and personal friend of G.Campbell Morgan.

You see this is the kind of thing that excites me. Campbell Morgan was a unique character in that he was a congregational minister who reckoned his spiritual home was with the Methodists. He is my favourite expositor. The Methodists of his day would have been the folk that Leonard Ravenhill trained under... and so it goes on.

2004/1/13 13:53Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy