SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Any great bible schools out there?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
DerekSpalla

Powder Springs, Georgia

Re: College = Pastor?

I would say that man will confirm where God has already called and ordained. Of course it is not necessary to be ordained or comissioned by man. When that is done, it is man's recognition of what God has already done.

In the natural, I would say it is more straight forward and practical to receive some training. To receive support and encouragement. To have a safe environment in which to practice and gain experience from a mentor. A college, ministry school or seminary would be a good place to be trained up. Even the disicples, including Peter were mentored by Jesus for three years. Jesus gave them opportunities to get their feet wet (sendiing them out two by two, feeding of the 5000, etc.). It wasn't until after these three years and the empowerment of the Holy Spirit that you have Peter preaching his first sermon. Yet Jesus had called him Rock long before man could have confirmed it to be true.

The training and the comissioning by man may not always be necessary, but it can be helpful and a very positive experience. Ultimately you have to decide for yourself if it is right for you.

Kind Regards,

Derek

2006/7/12 22:56Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

I think that if you want a job as a Pastor, most church denominations require that you are ordained, which means some training is necessary.

Best wishes in your search!

and May God Bless you!

2006/7/13 9:42Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:
Ravenhill once lamented that the only reason we need Bible colleges is because the local church has failed to do its job.

Are you saying that Bible Colleges aren't a good thing, or just giving an aside as to why many local churches fail in their purpose?

2006/7/13 10:15Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Quote:

MSeaman wrote:
I think that if you want a job as a Pastor, most church denominations require that you are ordained, which means some training is necessary.

So, it seems you need to decide who you work for, and who you answer to...

Classroom training is a good thing, but it's not what makes you a godly man, a shepherd of a flock, or anything else. It can help in learning doctrine, etc., but that's only one piece to the puzzle.

2006/7/13 10:22Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Are you saying that Bible Colleges aren't a good thing, or just giving an aside as to why many local churches fail in their purpose?

I'm all for Bible colleges... I have a degree from one, and am now in seminary, and would like to one day teach at one perhaps. Ravenhill's quote, which I agree with, I believe is an attempt to bring the local church to its full purpose... as a training house for all the saints.

2006/7/13 16:20Profile
RevKerrigan

South Central Kentucky

Re:

If you are looking for a college to go to then I would recommend [url=http://www.moody.edu/]Moody Bible College[/url]. You can even take it online if you like. If you are looking for a seminary, I would recommend [url=http://www.ses.edu]Southern Evangelical Seminary[/url] or [url=http://www.tms.edu]The Master's Seminary[/url]. I personally have a bachelor's degree in Religious Education from a small Christian university name [url=http://www.lacollege.edu]Louisiana College[/url] and have looked into possibly going to seminary. I have prayed about it quite a bit and haven't been led to do so. Obviously, I am not against college or seminary education either, but I have to agree with some that I have learned MUCH MORE on my own by reading the Bible, praying, listening to sermons, reading books, learning Greek, reading commentaries, etc.

2006/7/14 12:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy