SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Praise Report: Open Door at Homeless Shelter

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Praise Report: Open Door at Homeless Shelter

Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to keep you guys posted (because I have mentioned it a time or two already) that my prayer request has been fulfilled and God has opened a door for ministry for me at a local homeless shelter. Beginning Monday, July 17 at 6:30 pm I will be conducting a weekly Bible study at the shelter.

Please be in continued prayer for me though.

I will need much wisdom in how to minister to a people that, culturally speaking, I have next to nothing in common with. Not to mention the drug and alcohol factors.

Also, the shelter I will be ministering at is in a horriable part of town that few police dare venture into unless called, and I will need God's protection, especially come the winter months when I will have to go at night.

I have to admit, I do feel somewhat afraid about it all. However, I know God will be with me through it all.

Pray for the local area drug dealers.

2006/7/5 22:42Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Praise Report: Open Door at Homeless Shelter

By the way, I look at this very much like doing missionary work, as the church is nearly non-existant in this area. A few churches give money to the shelter to help prop it up and feed the hungry, but nobody to my knowledge brings them the word of God. There are only one or two other churches in the entire area that even do bus ministry to there, besides the one I attend. So, keep this in your prayers as well.

2006/7/5 22:45Profile
repentcanada

Re:

Glory to God brother Jimmy!

2006/7/5 22:56Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Praise Report: Open Door at Homeless Shelter

Quote:
I will need much wisdom in how to minister to a people that, culturally speaking, I have next to nothing in common with. Not to mention the drug and alcohol factors.

Sure you do!

1Co 6:11 [i]And such were some of you[/i]

Such were many of us here. I know it goes without saying that the primary cause is one of heart disease that plague's the whole race, but in specifics I am sure there would be plenty of counsel amongst the former clouded heads.

My hunch is these matters would be further down the line anyway. Jimmy, this makes that perfect kind of sense in the Lords ways ... Something on the level of Brainerd who had all these 'gifts' for 'formal' ministry and the Lord sent him to the Indians.
Quote:
I have to admit, I do feel somewhat afraid about it all. However, I know God will be with me through it all.

That just reinforces it.

My prayers are with you. Do keep us posted.

2006/7/6 10:12Profile
mamaluk

Re:

KingJimmy,

Praise God for His ministry in you for this homeless shelter.

This reminds me of George Mueller and his orphanage, how he depended on God for the one last loaf of bread..and waited on HIM to the last second, his faith in God's provision never once budged. Most importantly, GOD provided for his work through every need and every crisis daily.

Thank you for your admirable testimony to the Gospel,
and please do count my prayers in too!
mamaluk

2006/7/6 11:37Profile
repentcanada

Re:

Brother Jimmy you have much more in common with the people you'll be ministering too than you think. They may be into sins of which you have no knowledge of, but you know the Savior who came to set people from their sins. He has set you free, and He can set them free as well. God bless you greatly.

2006/7/6 11:54Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Yes, the wonderful thing about most homeless people is that there is little pretense. They will either spurn you or repent. It's refreshing to talk to people who won't attempt to live in this imaginary place where one can follow Jesus and the world at the same time.

Most of the dear ones I've spoken to in this predicament are aware that they can't do this (i.e. serve both God and mammon). I pray the Lord God gives you a heart for these dear people. I'm glad that God is not a respector of persons.

The most difficult to minister to in America I believe are those in the church, not those outside of it because there is a desire to cling to a form of godliness, despite its obvious lack of power. I'm praying for a breaking of your heart as you minister to these dear ones that have been labeled outcasts by the world. Thankfully there is hope in Christ to any who will come and follow Him. I'm thankful He reached down into the bottom of the barrel and grabbed me.

2006/7/6 12:20Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Jimmy. I will definitely try to remember you in prayer.

If ever you care to or feel the need to share of your experiences you are welcome to send me a message. And remember to keep your spiritual eyes open brother. We know there's more to life than meets the natural eye.

Chris

2006/7/6 17:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy