SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why Revival Teachings Can Kill

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Why Revival Teachings Can Kill

view image here:

http://allathisfeet.com/picture_gallery/pictures/picture-7.jpg

2006/7/3 15:38Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

Many people here will spend their entire lives seeking, and will never find anything. Many people here are never going to "get it". This is because they will spend their whole lives seeking something other than God. They may be seeking something that God wants, but so long as they are seeking something other than the person, Himself, it is all in vain. They will spend their lives with opinions and ideas that have never been a reality. They will spend their lives with ups and downs, and many times that they think they "get it", and it only dissapoints them in the end.

Dont seek excitement. Dont seek externals. Dont seek fruits. Dont seek gifts. Seek Jesus!

Jesus is Victory. Jesus is Salvation. Jesus is Holiness. Jesus is Joy. Jesus is Revival. But dont seek Him for these things. If He is living in you, you cannot help but express these things. But dont seek Him for these things. Seek Him because of who He is. This is the will of the Father.

2006/7/3 15:44Profile
mamaluk

Re:

JFEdgar,

I appreciate this word picture and admonitions.

It's all too easy to fall into exalting the
men of faith and unconcsiously robbing God's glory simultaneously.

Surely Christianity is not about us, but about Christ.

Thanks for the post.
mamaluk

2006/7/3 17:27Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

:)

2006/7/5 16:04Profile
alanrepent

Re:

definitely. why would somebody seek to be "going the right way" or "be on the right path"? Forget the PATH!... Jesus says "I AM the Way"... the Way is a person.. not a lifestyle. it's REPLACEMENT, not duplication. We die, Christ lives. the devil is subject to Christ, not our lifestyle changes. we have to give up trying and start seeking with our hearts, minds, and souls. Many will try to enter in but will not be able. God can only bring resurrection to someone who dies first, not someone still hanging on. thanks joe for that. miss you guys a lot.

2006/7/15 12:58Profile
roadsign

Re: great image

I saved the image because I need to be reminded of the constant subtle temptation to emulate someone - hoping to "make it work" like it did for them.

We can be destroyed or at least worn out just trying hard to make revival (or anything) happen by trying to reproduce that "magic thing" that "worked" before. There are subtle sins under it all: Dependency on works, trying to manipulate God, and an idolatrous desire for the blessings rather than the Lord.

Diane

2006/7/15 14:09Profile
Compton

Re:The value of Godly Imitation

I certainly understand the spirit of this post,(...having expressed simiar concerns about mere outward imitation of faith in the recent thread "Is Revival teaching choking us?) ...but just to keep things interesting there is Paul's instruction in 1 Corinthians 4:16...

Wherefore, I beseech you, be ye followers of me as I also am of Christ.

...and this also from Paul.

Therefore I urge you to imitate me.

There is a kind of following after mature preachers of the Gospel that is not mere outward imitation I believe. While we seek the substance, and not just the form of Godliness in these men, let's also not burden ourselves with reinvention for the sake of 'authenticity'!

I am growing in awareness how our seeker sensitive postmodern quest for 'authentic spiritualtiy' is producing a Church that prefers unresolved spiritual contemplation rather then decisive conversion. Many Christians who claim to be recieving revelation straight from Rabbi Jesus would do better to simply begin with "Paul’s'" Gospel. Many are told to 'confess Christ' with sincerity and begin their 'authentic' journey with culturally relative expressions of faith never having understood Paul’s' words. "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."

Of course if a modern street preacher rides up to the bus stop on horseback sporting a powdered wig and knickers..well his 'imitation' of revival preachers is going to be distracting from his message. (Although he might draw quite a crowd!) Yet, like all children, we learn by imitation. So whom will we imitate? Brian McClaren or Jonathan Edwards? Joel Olsteen or John Wesley? Which Christian journey will we emulate; Pilgrim's Progress or Blue Like Jazz? (Not meant to be mean spirited, but simply showing how young Christians will imitate the Christianity they are first presented.)

I think there is a poor halfway imitation to be sure. Imitation of form and style only is the real danger this thread is about. Imitation of Godliness is quite safe ...and productive! For instance, who can read "Sinner in the Hands of an Angry God" in today's seeker sensitive climate without scratching their heads at first? Yet if we press through the historic man who wrote them, and get into his "slipstream' as one here on the forum put it...we might break through the mere pages and text into a Spirit born revelation. I do not see how this can happen with many of today's Christian influencers.

This is the value of Godly imitation. What must happen to my heart in order for me to come to grips with Edwards force of conviction behind 'angry God?' Godly imitation forces us to adhere to a benchmark. The real concern is not to be afraid of imitation, but missing the power behind the words of those we imitate.

It could be said that Ten Shekels and a Shirt is in the tradition of John Edwards or Charles Finney! And what century does Paul Washer sound like he is from? Certainly these 'modern' messages are Spirit Born...but my guess is that these men have also spent time with faithful revival preaching. We shouldn't read Edwards, Whitefield, or Wesley to imitate their form or style, but nonetheless, I am not afraid to say I hope to 'follow' them. These faithful men, and many many more like them, are like sign posts along the way, giving outward confirmation of the inward Word of God for this wayward and confused generation.

So I say, study all the excellence in Christian men whom God has provided for us along the way, but always remember that the kingdom of God is not in speech, but in power!

Just some more meat (or at least some 'taters) for the stew!

We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.

MC

2006/7/15 16:13Profile
DerekSpalla

Powder Springs, Georgia

Re: Scriptural Context

I like to do word studies and find the scriptural context for topics. Here are just a few passages regarding the seeking of the Lord. Another interesting study would be to look at what the Lord is seeking.

Kind Regards,

Derek

But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul. Deuteronomy 4:29

Seek the LORD and His strength; seek His face evermore! 1 Chronicles 16:11

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

One thing I have desired of the LORD, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD All the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, And to inquire in His temple. Psalm 27:4

Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it. Psalm 34:14

So shall I keep Your law continually, Forever and ever. And I will walk at liberty, for I seek Your precepts. I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings, And will not be ashamed. Psalm 119:44-46

Sow for yourselves righteousness; Reap in mercy; Break up your fallow ground, For it is time to seek the LORD, Till He comes and rains righteousness on you. Hosea 10:12

Seek the LORD, all you meek of the earth, Who have upheld His justice. Seek righteousness, seek humility…Zephaniah 2:3

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Matthew 6:33

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Hebrews 11:6

2006/7/17 9:10Profile
roadsign

Re: finding the fine line in the sand

Quote:
Wherefore, I beseech you, be ye followers of me as I also am of Christ.

...and this also from Paul.

Therefore I urge you to imitate me.

….and this also from Paul:

there are quarrels among you.
What I mean is this:
One of you says, "I follow Paul";
another, "I follow Apollos";
another, "I follow Cephas";

still another, "I follow Christ."

I add this verse to the discussion to highlight (perhaps for my own sake) the subtle, but sad truth that it is all to easy to turn a godly man into an idol – to put him on a pedestal and deify him and his methods. I’ve been there a few times, and so am aware of the subtle tendency: As soon as God blesses me through someone, I want more “blessing” from that person than God has permitted. And then I take my eyes off Christ.

Clearly Paul understood this sinful bent and draws a fine line in the sand: “Follow me and imitate me AS I FOLLOWS CHRIST.” So it is his Christ-following life that we imitate.

I love reading biographies of the great saints – and am deeply stirred and encouraged by their Christ-centeredness and their accomplishments. Yet, at times doubts about myself pop in my mind: “Why can’t I BE and DO like him/her?” or “If I did what he did, maybe I could have had the same results?” Well, the truth is, I am not him/her. I am me. And my God is sufficient to lead me into the godliness that he seeks.

Can we trust him for this?

Yet we can be just as proud as some of the divisive Corinthians who put their noses in the air and said, “I follow Christ, (and that is why I don’t need Paul, Appolus or Cephas.... ie I don't read books written about man or by man. I don’t need them.)”

Clearly there is no formula to immunize us from our tendency to stray. It is a heart issue – a constant struggle to remain Christ-centered. How we use (or abuse) our heroes depends on what foundation we place our lives – man or the Man.

Diane

2006/7/17 10:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy