SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 6

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Great Quotes 6

The following are excerpts from Chapter one of [i]Tortured for Christ[/i]. I finished reading this first chapter today and thought to share some of it.

'I can say that they had all the Christian virtues, except the virtue of joy. This they had only at conversion, then it disappeared. I thought about this a lot. Once I asked a Baptist, “How is it that you know no joy?” He answered, “How can I be joyful when I have to hide from the pastor of my church that I am an earnest Christian, that I lead a life of prayer, that I try to win souls? The pastor of the church is an in­former of the secret police. We are spied on one after another and the shepherds are those who betray the flock. There exists very deep in our heart the joy of salvation, but this external gladness that you have—we do not have it anymore.”'

2006/8/1 14:50Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Great Quotes 6

More from Chapter one of [i]Tortured for Christ[/i]

"Christianity has become dramatic with us. When Chris­tians in free countries win a soul for Christ, the new believer may become a member of a quietly living church. But when those in captive nations win someone, we know that he may have to go to prison and that his children may become or­phans. The joy of having brought someone to Christ is always mixed with this feeling that there is a price that must be paid. We had met an entirely new type of Christian—the Christian of the Under­ground Church."

'She replied, “This is an even greater wonder. If in heaven there is an Almighty God, in whom in stupidity our fore­fathers believed, it would then be only natural that we should have thumbs. An Almighty God can do everything, so He can make a thumb, too. But if in heaven there is nobody, I will worship with all of my heart the ‘Nobody’ who has made the thumb.”'

2006/8/1 15:01Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Great Qoutes 6

and finally these...

'For example, I was later in prison together with souls whom God had helped me to win for Christ. I was in the same cell with one who had left behind six children and who was now in prison for his Christian faith. His wife and children were starving. He might never see them again. I asked him, “Have you any resentment against me that I brought you to Christ and because of this your fam­­ily is in such misery?” He answered, “I have no words to express my thank­fulness that you have brought me to the wonderful Savior. I would never have it any other way.”'

"When I was kidnapped by police and kept imprisoned for years in strictest secrecy, a Christian doctor actually became a member of the secret police to learn my whereabouts! As a secret police doctor, he had access to the cells of all prisoners and hoped to find me. All of his friends shunned him, thinking he had become a Communist. To go around dressed in the uniform of the torturers is a much greater sacrifice than to wear the uniform of a prisoner."

This last qoute reminds me so much of how Christ Himself had put on the uniform of the enemy(so to speak), being clothed in the form of our sinfull flesh so that He could seek us out in the prison of our sins! Praise God!

2006/8/1 15:07Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

'As the apostle says to Timothy, so also he says to everyone, 'Give
yourself to reading.' He who will not use the thoughts of other men's brains proves that he has no brains of his own. You need to read. Renounce as much as you will all light literature, but study as much as possible sound theological works, especially the Puritanic writers, and expositions of the Bible. The best way for you to spend your leisure is to be either reading or praying.'
-Charles Spurgeon

2006/8/4 15:04Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

“If I am immoderate, I am immoderate to God.”
- Bengel

im·mod·er·ate (-mdr-t)
adj.
Exceeding normal or appropriate bounds; extreme

2006/8/6 16:33Profile
Gery

Re:

"You are what you are when you are alone!"
-Unknown

2006/8/7 15:11Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

My brethren, let me say, be like Christ at all times. Imitate him in "public." Most of us live in some sort of public capacity—many of us are called to work before our fellow-men every day. We are watched; our words are caught; our lives are examined—taken to pieces. The eagle-eyed, argus-eyed world observes everything we do, and sharp critics are upon us. Let us live the life of Christ in public. Let us take care that we exhibit our Master, and not ourselves—so that we can say, "It is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me."

—Charles Spurgeon

2006/8/7 23:07Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

A true faith in Jesus Christ will not suffer us to be idle. No, it is an active, lively, restless principle; it fills the heart, so that it cannot be easy till it is doing something for Jesus Christ.

—George Whitefield

2006/8/7 23:10Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

How sweet is rest after fatigue! How sweet will heaven be when our journey is ended.

—George Whitefield

2006/8/7 23:11Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

I have found that the key to my victory is understanding that at any given moment, I could do the most despicable thing in the world. [b]I need God every hour![/b]
-Crawford Loritts

2006/8/8 20:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy