SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : FEATURED ARTICLE: Holiness by J.C. Ryle

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

the longest discussion...

bro Mike

Quote:
Why is a topic of such great importance not more ... heeded? Does the mere length of it scare off some? Or is it the content? Real questions...

i remember when you brought up the matter of this article on another thread saying that if this discussion doesn't become the longest on this forum, then there is something wrong with us. the matter of God's Holiness is moct crucial for we are called to be Holy and Perfect as He is so like you i'm unsure why something of such gravity is not given it's due attention. :-(

it seems to me though that it is several things:
1)it's not a thing which is talked about in the mainstream, and even outside of that Holiness tends to be on the fringes.
2)we wretched men are averse to His Holiness for it exposes what we hold to be HOliness and Righteousness for what it is before God, filthy rags, that hurts egos.
3)we wretched men are also not keen on going above and beyond where we are in general. on many levels we'd rather do the bare minimum. perhaps a consequence of easy believeism?
4)the misconceptions of what Holiness is tend to put people off too. HOliness is a thing which is unique to God but we being bought by the blood of the lamb and are to be reformed in His image (which is that of God) [i]have[/i] to be Holy.

Holiness in us is an expression of Christ formed in us, His life flowing out of us and even to the heathen, the presence of such is made plain and it is convicting.

the purpose of creation is that God may glorify Himself through His Church. to show His manifold wisdom to the principalities and powers. For God to be glorified (which is the Christian's sole purpose for existance) His Holiness and Righteousness must be made plain for all to see, this way we [i]can[/i] say Christ lives in me because the evidence is there. of course this means being at odds with the majority because this road is narrow, but praise God He gives us grace enough to see this done.

Quote:
What I did find and hopefully by way of encouragement, reading back through all this was a sense of excitement building up within. That this is attainable ... today. What more do our hearts long for than to be well pleasing in His sight, to feel the Lords approval despite the uncanny and unbelievable (careful there...) possibility that that is. It is there, waiting for us to basically just ... co-operate, to both give up and get up! That great paradoxical mystery that we find help in our infirmities. The thing can be done! And better yet, if and when (today would be a good start) we get going in this tremendous matter, who gets the glory for it? What could be more purely ultimate than to be able to truly apprehend this passage that I awoke to this morning;

AMEN bro AMEN!!! Christ would not have called us to such if there was no provision for it! the word says we can do ALL things through Christ which strengthens us! bro Mike i pray we see that this is all about God and [i]His[/i] glory and not our own and as such it can only be done on His terms and by His hand at work in us unhindered. He doesn't need our bright ideas, He's got it covered/sewed up already and we need to get with His program.

Quote:
To be sure, there must be some going down into those areas of serious contemplation, of things that need to be dealt with, before coming up. But let us not fear that and let us not fear being Holy because of all the misconceptions and misunderstandings that either we have caught by tradition, by outward show, by the fear of man, by even the fear of failure ... remember that is yet 'tomorrow' even if it is in the next hour.

ah bro Mike you've brought up a couple more things which keep us from Holiness, fear of man and failiure. If we fear man, then i'm afraid we've not learned to fear our Lord enough. if we fear failiure, then we have not learned to trust God enough when He said to Paul 'my grace is sufficient for thee" and when He revealed to Paul that we can do all things through Christ which strengthens us.

Lord Help our unbelief!AMEN.

2006/7/5 11:54Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

FEATURED ARTICLE: Holiness by J.C. Ryle

Quote:
A holy man will follow after purity of heart.

2006/7/6 17:43Profile
npautsky

Texas

Re: FEATURED ARTICLE: Holiness by J.C. Ryle

Quote:
And This I do boldly and confidently say, that true holiness is a great reality. It is something in a man that can be seen, and known, and marked, and felt by all around him. It is light: if it exists, it will show itself. It is salt: if it exists, its savour will be perceived. It is a precious ointment: if it exists, its presence cannot be hid.

Judging by his [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=313]picture[/url] I would say this man is speaking from firsthand experience. Mr. Katz and Mr. Spurgeon also testify to this reality in this [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10825&forum=34&1]passionate consideration of holiness.[/url] I believe these testimonies are true. I would say this subject presents itself as a prime candidate if we're ever in need of something to "pray through" on.

2006/7/6 19:16Profile
calebnz

Re:

Thankyou for posting this. I am currently printing it off to read.
I read the other artical posted from Ryle. Special Rules for young men, and that had a great affect on me.

2006/9/2 4:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy