SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : I am not my own

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
vico

I am not my own

"I have been before God, and have given myself, all that I am and have, to God; so that I am not, in any respect, my own... I have given myself clear away, and have not retained any thing as my own." -Jonathan Edwards -

2006/6/30 20:13Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: I am not my own

Quote:
given myself clear away

What a concise well crafted prayer of absolute surrender! Can we say such things? Oh Lord bring us to that place of total complete absolute surrender of all of our volition and desires. May our appetites and affections soley be put on You.

Teach us how to "give" ourselves "clear away".

2006/6/30 20:50Profile
Tears_of_joy

'There was a day when I died, utterly died, died to George Muller, his opinions, preferences, tastes and will; died to the world, its approval or censure; died to the approval or blame even of my brethren and friends and, since then, I have studied only to show myself approved unto God.'
-George Muller

2006/6/30 20:59Profile
Nellie

Re:

Would to God this statement "I am not my own," could be said of each Christian on SI.
It is my desire, through Christ, to be able to say this.

"I'm not my own,
I belong to Jesus,
For through His Blood, He purchased me.
Tho rough the road, I shall not waver,
For some glad day,
His face I'll see.

2006/6/30 22:40Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

"Lord Jesus, if you will receive me into your house, if you will but own me as your servant, I will not stand upon any term; impose upon me what conditions you please, write down your own articles, command me what you will, put me to anything you see as good; let me come under your roof, let me be your servant...make me what you will, Lord and set me where you will. I put myself wholly into your hands: put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put put me to suffering, let me be employed for you, or laid aside for you, exalted for you, or trodden under foot for you; let me be full, let me be empty, let me have all things, let me have nothing, I freely and heartily resign all to your pleasure and disposal."

- John Wesley

2006/6/30 23:12Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

"If we are truly surrendered, we will never be aware of our own efforts to remain surrendered. Our entire life will be consumed with the One to whom we surrender. Beware of talking about surrender if you know nothing about it. In fact, you will never know anything about it until you understand that John 3:16 means that God completely and absolutely gave Himself to us. In our surrender, we must give ourselves to God in the same way He gave Himself for us— totally, unconditionally, and without reservation. The consequences and circumstances resulting from our surrender will never even enter our mind, because our life will be totally consumed with Him." - Oswald Chambers

2006/7/10 9:53Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Another one from Oswald Chambers. This one hurt...

[u]To become one with Jesus Christ, a person must be willing not only to give up sin, but also to surrender his whole way of looking at things.[/u] Being born again by the Spirit of God means that we must first be willing to let go before we can grasp something else. [b]The first thing we must surrender is all of our pretense or deceit. What our Lord wants us to present to Him is not our goodness, honesty, or our efforts to do better, but real solid sin.[/b] [i]Actually, that is all He can take from us. And what He gives us in exchange for our sin is real solid righteousness. But we must surrender all pretense that we are anything, and give up all our claims of even being worthy of God’s consideration.[/i]

2006/7/10 10:09Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Yeah, hab, that one cuts to the quick! Thank you, I needed that. Ouch.

2006/7/10 15:34Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

I don't know how you feel about David Hogan, but I heard him say once, "You think you have rights, but the only right you have as a Christian is JESUS IS LORD."

Jesus is Lord, what a concept.

2006/7/13 11:44Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy