SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons :  Six Short Rules for Young Christians -by Brownlow North

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
  Six Short Rules for Young Christians -by Brownlow North

[img]http://www.wicketgate.co.uk/pointing.gif[/img]

[b]Six Short Rules for Young Christians[/b]
-by Brownlow North

1. Never neglect daily private prayer; and when you pray, remember that God is present, and that He hears your prayers. (Heb. 11:6).

2. Never neglect daily private Bible reading; and when you read remember that God is speaking to you, and that you are to believe and act upon what He says. I believe all backsliding begins with the neglect of these two rules. (John 5:39).

3. Never let a day pass without trying to do something for Jesus. Every night reflect on what Jesus has done for you, and then ask yourself, "What am I doing for Him"? (Matt. 5: 13-16)

4. If you are in doubt as to a thing being right or wrong, go to your room and kneel down and ask God's blessing on it. (Col. 3:17). If you cannot do this, it is wrong. (Roms. 16:23).

5. Never take your Christianity from Christians, or argue that because such and such people do so and so, therefore, you may. (2 Cor. 10:12). You are to ask yourself, "How would Christ act in my place"? And strive to follow Him (John 10:27)

6. Never believe what you feel, if it contradicts God's Word. Ask yourself, "Can what I feel be true if God's Word is true"? And if BOTH cannot be true, believe God and make your own heart the liar. (Roms. 3:4. 1 John 5:10-11).

NOTE:
Brownlow North was a man greatly used of God in the great 1859 Revival that swept the North of Ireland. His grandfather was the Bishop of Winchester, who was the son of Lord North, and once Prime Minister of England. Brownlow North, then, was an aristocrat; but, as we well know, position has no bearing on a man's spiritual quality, and Brownlow North spent his days in godless living. "For forty-four years of my life," he tells us, "my object was to pass time pleasantly; so long as the day was spent agreeably I was satisfied". In 1854, God laid him low with a sever illness and raised him to life eternal to work the works of God. Two books give us an insight into the life and work of Brownlow North. "Wilt thou go with this man?" The story of his life; and "The Rich Man and Lazarus", which is a collection of the sermons which he preached during that great awakening in 1859.

2006/6/30 17:42Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Six Short Rules for Young Christians -by Brownlow North

Praise the Lord, these rules are imperative to establishing a healthy walk with Jesus. Leonard Ravenhill said that every backslidden Christian he had counselled was backsliddden for one of three reasons. The Christian had either:

1. Stopped reading and meditating on the Word
2. Lost his or her appetite for prayer
3. Never had a true understanding of worship

I think it says a lot about the current condition of the church, if these 6 rules were intended for "young Christians" back then! I don't like saying this, but you'd be hard pressed to find ordained pastors today that follow these rules.

God bless, Paul

2006/6/30 19:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy