the inner city into the "comfortable" suburbs. We left it behind when
we stopped welcoming the bums off the street into our meetings
and started welcoming only the "respectable" people. We left it
behind when we stopped preaching "take up your cross" and
turned the gospel into a success formula - 'Seven Steps to your
Best Life Now.'

Somewhere in our comfortable suburban streetscape with its
manicured lawns we lost the real thing. Somehow in our concern
for "property values" and a better 'dental plan' we left it behind.
But that is not the worst part of it. The worst part is that we don't
know how to get it back again. Or perhaps we don't really WANT
to get it back again. The cost simply doesn't bear thinking about,
does it? And so, as we drive around in our nice shiny cars with
our groovy plastic toys, and attend "church" as we know it twice a
week for 2 hours;- As we live a life that is about as unlike Jesus
as you can get, a life of comfort and coddling undreamt of by
billions around the world;- a lifestyle in the top 10% of the earth
today (-in debt up to our eyeballs all the while) - the fact is that
we don't really CARE that we have lost original Christianity, do
we? We are too busy, man. Don't bother us with that kind of talk.

It will all be OK, the preacher tells us. We will all make it to
heaven in the end. We are all "decent" people here. We have
"prayed the little prayer". We have 'given our heart to the Lord'.

Oh yes. We will all make it, won't we? We are all good suburban
church-going folks here.

But what is this? What is that thundering voice I hear? "DEPART
FROM ME." 'But LORD... But LORD....'

"I said - 'DEPART FROM ME'. Don't call me Lord. You never truly
lived like I was your Lord and you know it. For I was hungry and
you gave me no food; I was thirsty and you gave me no drink; I
was a stranger and you did not take me in; naked, and you did
not clothe me; sick and in prison, and you did not visit me...."

What is the essence of true Christianity that we have lost, my
friends? It is simply described by James as follows- "Pure
religion and undefiled is this: To visit the fatherless and widows
in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."
(Ja 1:27). Amen!

2006/6/29 14:19Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re: WE'VE LOST CHRISTIANITY -Andrew Strom

Thanks for posting this!

How many more will go to hell before we wake up?

2006/6/29 16:42Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
How many more will go to hell before we wake up?

I think it is as simple as praying, "Lord, what is thy bidding?" When we determine to do his will He will shed His glory upon our way. There are needs all around us. It may just be a matter of picking one. The Lord will clarify His will as we begin to take steps.

2006/6/29 16:57Profile
Rahman

Re: WE'VE LOST CHRISTIANITY -Andrew Strom

The following promises were stated by Jesus, and penned by John to the 7 churches, what- some 1900 years ago? Just who were they written to? ... Were they written only specifically to those 7 literal churches back then? ... Or is it possible that like so many other instances in Scripture Rev. 2 & 3 serves the dual nature of warning us both then and now? ... i choose to think both, and have a tendency to place far more importance on Jesus' warnings in this modern day and time when so much of Christianity seems to be comfortably having Christ and this world too ...

i've often wondered just what Jesus does when He gets tired of knocking at the doors of our hearts in attempts to re-gain entrance by our re-pentance to Him ... Does He just walk away from us with His head hung down in defeat, or does He just kick the door in to we who already belong to Him, we given to Him by the Father, and dyed in His shed blood as proof of His rightful possesion ... i understand the intent of bro Strom's scriptural reference to "get away from me you workers of iniquity" but unless i'm mistaken these perpetrators are not members, and never were members, of the true Church of Christ ... And so out of context (to me) it can leave one with a sense of defeat for Christ, Christianity and His Church, which Jesus said the gates of hell shall not prevail against ... i believe bro Strom would have been better to have quoted the Rev. in what Christ says to His actual church about our becoming apathetic, self-assured and luke-warm ... The promise to His Church, His Bride, when we are out of spiritual alignment is "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten" ... This means that if we truly are of Christ Body, and we're two timing Him with the world, playing both ends from the middle, tho He's as long suffering as the representation of the Book Hosea, somewhere down the line we're gonna get "corrected" ...

They way i see it many saints may have seemingly gotten away with spiritual infidelity down along the corridors of time by passing on, but eventually some generation of slipped Christianity is gonna have to pay the price of God's patience running out ... Saints i may be as wrong as two left shoes, and i know a whole lot of folk who hope i am wrong, but i think we're that generation ... i believe the Body of Christ, particularly here in the west, and most particularly here in America, is in for the huge shock of actually experiencing Christ displeasure with what His Bride has become, and the correction that we'll have to endure to be brought back into shape ... 2Pet.3 speaks of scoffers saying "Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.". Many of us today may not be this bad, but i do believe that many saints today have been lulled into a false sense of security that Christ loves us so much He'll not do anything painful to us if we're off His track ... Maybe i am crazy, but that's not what i hear in these words ...

Rev.2
[4] Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
[5] Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.[7] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;

[14] But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.[15] So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
[16] Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
[17] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;

[20] Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.[21] And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.[22] Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
[23] And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.[24] But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.[29] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Rev.3
I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.[2] Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.[3] Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.[6] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

[15] I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.[16] So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.[17] Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:[18] I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.[19] As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
[20] Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.[22] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

i praise God that it may seem like we've lost Christianity, but we who are truly His can never lose Christ for He's faithful to us even when it's not vice-versa ... Who can seperate us from the love of God? ... i also praise Him that when i'm/we're thick headed, in a stupor, or just plain rebellious that His great and continual love for us may seemingly let us get away with our infidelity for a while, but eventually He will step in and correct us ...

i really love this part of bro Strom's message;
"Somewhere in our comfortable suburban streetscape with its manicured lawns we lost the real thing. Somehow in our concern for "property values" and a better 'dental plan' we left it behind. But that is not the worst part of it. The worst part is that we don't know how to get it back again. Or perhaps we don't really WANT to get it back again. The cost simply doesn't bear thinking about, does it? And so, as we drive around in our nice shiny cars with
our groovy plastic toys, and attend "church" as we know it twice a week for 2 hours;- As we live a life that is about as unlike Jesus as you can get, a life of comfort and coddling undreamt of by billions around the world;- a lifestyle in the top 10% of the earth today (-in debt up to our eyeballs all the while)"

Whatever our reasons for not being able to find our way back to repentance, don't worry, God's about to make the way back real plain to us all ... May Your correction fall swiftly Lord Jesus to the rousing of Your Bride to You and Your work, for the harvest is ripe and we're concerned with "property values" and a better 'dental plan".

2006/6/29 17:29Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy