SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How many times has this happened to you?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Ah, you're on the right track, combat. And never forget when you tuckum in at night to hug and kiss them and speak of your love to them. Do THAT from the cradle.

:-Drm

2006/6/30 16:03
Combat_Chuck

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Ah, you're on the right track, combat. And never forget when you tuckum in at night to hug and kiss them and speak of your love to them. Do THAT from the cradle.

Amen! :-D

I still remember how much it meant to me when my parents tucked me in every single night.

I also remember the times of discipline from my father and I now look back and am thankful for it, and to God for having godly parents who went against the grain of our godless society and disciplined me-- in love.

I always hated the discipline and the hard bargain my father had for me. I was always resentful at the time, but now I am forever in debt to my parents and will never be able to repay them in full.

Adam (age 18)

:-)

2006/7/1 3:19Profile
roadsign

Re: love vs? discline

Hi folks,
I sense that my overall message has been somewhat misunderstood. I think the reason may simply be in the way some words are typically used. And THAT tendency is a concern to me because it affects our perception of God. So I address no one in particular here:

Love and disciple are often viewed as two opposites. One is sweet and cuddly, and the other is pain and punishment.

Consider this verse:
“Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me” (Ps. 23)
How might these instruments of discipline be comforting? How does a shepherd use them to teach/guide/discipline his sheep?

Inflicting physical pain is NOT the ideal teaching tool, though not to be excluded. If it is overused or misused it has a tendency to backfire down the road. There are lots of other measures. For example: Consider the school of hard knocks: Let the child experience the consequences of his forgetfulness. Being cold one day should help him remember his coat next time. Then again, for some kids that measure may be foolish – even life-threatening. Wisdom is needed.

I must admit that before I had kids, I knew exactly what to do. I was going to MAKE them be good. That reminds me of a saying:

“If you want to know how to raise kids ask someone who hasn’t had any”.

Like me, parents tend to have lofty ideals when they start out. Why, we will NEVER be like those loser mothers in the supermarket!

But through experience and trials and complications of life, we realize we know very little, and we need God’s help. We discover that we have been depending on our own strength and on others in our society to make it happen right. Our kids have a way of humbling us and pointing us God-ward. I speak for myself. I rejoice in what God has accomplished and is still accomplishing.

God bless you as you continue to open your hearts to him. Life is sure an adventure.

Diane

2006/7/1 10:00Profile

Re:

Quote:

Inflicting physical pain is NOT the ideal teaching tool, though not to be excluded. If it is overused or misused it has a tendency to backfire down the road. There are lots of other measures. For example: Consider the school of hard knocks: Let the child experience the consequences of his forgetfulness. Being cold one day should help him remember his coat next time. Then again, for some kids that measure may be foolish – even life-threatening. Wisdom is needed.

Hmmmm? If I understand you correctly, you perhaps think the best way to get the child to remember that hot pots and pans are not to be touched, would be to just to let them burn themselves, perhaps even disfigure their body? Indeed, wisdom is needed, but only simple wisdom.

Here's where it begins:

I'll just bet you never had a one of your children keep reaching for the candy dish after you said "don't touch", and meant it --- really meant it!

.... On the other hand, you probably removed the candy dish ----you know, temptation and all that.

2006/7/1 11:42
mamaluk

Re:

How many times the Lord uses the rod to chasten me and to guide me..praise HIM !

Proverbs 10:13
In the lips of him that hath understanding wisdom is found: but a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding.

Proverbs 13:24
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Proverbs 22:15
Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:13-14
Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Correct our children and ourselves in accordance to HIS Word, lest GOD corrects us with them when they grow old. For HIS corrections = love.

In Christ, mamaluk

2006/7/1 12:00Profile

Re:

In an effort to make spiritual application permit me to first draw an analogy.

1. Let the child be our "self" nature.

2. Let the [born again] parent be the "soul" of us.

.... And thirdly let the other person wishing to enter into conversation/relationship with the parent/soul be the Holy Spirit.

Now what say you?

:-(rm

2006/7/2 8:57
mamaluk

Re:

Orm,

The child (self) yields himself to the other person (Holy Spirit) via the parent's (soul's) intimate relationship with God? ( hmm, I just added one more on to your analogy.)

mml

2006/7/2 10:05Profile

Re:

The soul is the thing that must yield to the Spirit. Self must [be denied] be made submissive to the soul that the soul be purified and made perfect in Christ. 1 Peter 1:22 (NASB-U)
"Since you have in obedience to the truth [Spirit] purified your souls ..............."

Can you see that?

2006/7/2 11:42
mamaluk

Re:

Ah, I see, nice!

There's just no way around to by pass obedience, is there?

2006/7/2 11:58Profile

Re:

Tis a shame this thread continues to go unchallenged when so much is at stake.
:-(

2006/7/3 8:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy