SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fasting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Quote:
Umm, just a querry for habakkuk3 and anyone else that would like to answer I suppoose.

Quote:
but we should do it only as the Holy Spirit dictates.

I think the struggle for some is that fasting somehow merits us something. It doesn't but that being said it's a discipline for any serious-minded Christian. My answer sounds like a pat answer but it's really not.

The question to take to the Lord is when (not if) He wants you to fast. Many Christians refuse to fast, simply because they're unwilling to deny themselves. I've found the Lord will be very specific about this and as I've walked in obedience it hasn't been "hard" at all, because He supplies the grace to walk out what He's asked us to do.

I thought the advice given from Ignatius was good because we often (or perhaps I'm in the minority) wish to chastise ourselves for some reason, which can lead to [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascetic]asceticism[/url]. I'm finding that God's chastistement is sufficiently painful enough and that beating on myself merits nothing and in fact angers God at times because it substitutes repentance with self-flagellation.

I completed two extended fasts fairly close together several months back at the request of the Holy Spirit and got off the track on the last fast and disobeyed what the Lord asked me to do and nearly died. My body went into a starvation mode and I was extremely ill and still have some residuals as a reminder.

The Lord God was very gracious to me and simply told me to repent and not to go beyond what He asked me to do and used my wife to rebuke me. It was humbling and terrifying. Once your body goes into a starvation mode, you literally feel your body dying. I can't quite explain what that was like and I have faced death before but never quite in this particular way.

It was a very painful lesson but the Lord was gracious to me. That being said, I need not do more nor less than what the Lord requires. Since it is a "when" and not an "if," I would also caution against saying well the Holy Spirit didn't tell me to fast, so I'm not going to. If that's true, than get to your closet and ask Him to tell you but don't rationalize it. Rationalization is simply an excuse for obedience.

Hope this is helpful and more specific.

2006/6/27 15:24Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Fasting, prayer and giving are not options. They are necessary in the Christian walk. They are not easy, but they are not impossible or Jesus would not have wanted us to do them. Concerning breaking an extended fast, it can be more difficult than the fast itself. I know from personal experience. But, thankfully, I did not overdo it. A long fast needs to be broken slowly. Be careful, and use this weapon as God has designed us to, 2 Cor10v4. God bless

2006/7/10 9:52Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

I need to fast. I know I do. I start a fast, but never get it completed. Is it because I am trying to do it in my own strength? I always can find a reason not to fast....

Lord, help me to deny me.

:-(

2006/7/12 11:05Profile

Re:

A recommendable book on fasting - 'God's Chosen Fast' by Arthur Wallis.

2006/7/12 11:15
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

I have read that. Good book.

2006/7/12 11:24Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy