SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Brothers and sisters please pray for me!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Combat_Chuck

Brothers and sisters please pray for me!

I know God is making me to be a missionary/evangelist/preacher/soul-winner, and to be completely honest, [b]it scares the crap out of me!!![/b] I feel like Jonah.... I don't want to go to ninevah! I don't want to preach repentance!

I now know why Leonard Ravenhill once said (something like this), [b]"anyone who chooses to be a preacher is an idiot"...[/b]

I now understand why John Wesley once said, "To this day [b]field preaching is a cross to me[/b], but I know my commission and see no other way of preaching the gospel to every creature".

This is such a high calling.... I feel like I have so much responsibility to God, I must press on.

Please pray for me. I must be faithful to my calling, and at this point I must [b]"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Tim. 2:15[/b]

Please pray for me that I will be faithful to God: That I will fear God, and not man; that I will seek God's approval, not mans' approval; that I will embrace the rejection of the world and walk humbly with my God; that I will preach the whole gospel truth, and not the prevalent doctrines of devils.

Adam

2006/6/19 4:47Profile

Re: Brothers and sisters please pray for me!

Hi Adam,

Perhaps you will find a sense of security from what God said to Jeremiah in chapter 1. I have great sympathy with your cry, but, many of us have been through that wobble of feeling unequal to the task. You don't need me to tell you that you can't do it alone, nor, to point out that this season is one where God will edge you off your own familiar territory, and into greater and greater dependence on Him. When it comes to the crunch, you know and He knows, that unless you are walking step by step in step with Him, disaster awaits you. I once heard a preacher say it is 'like walking on water' - that venturing out into the unknown. But we know Who Else was walking on the water, so you're in Good Company. :-)

Here's Jeremiah, vv 4 - 19.

Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you;
I ordained you a prophet to the nations."

6 Then said I: "Ah, Lord GOD!
Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth."

7 But the LORD said to me:
"Do not say, 'I am a youth,'
For you shall go to all to whom I send you,
And whatever I command you, you shall speak.

8 Do not be afraid of their faces,
For I am with you to deliver you," says the LORD.

9 Then the LORD put forth His hand and touched my mouth,
and the LORD said to me: "Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.

10 See, I have this day set you over the nations and over the kingdoms,
To root out and to pull down,
To destroy and to throw down,
To build and to plant."

11 Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
"Jeremiah, what do you see?"
And I said, "I see a branch of an almond tree."

12 Then the LORD said to me,
"You have seen well, for [b]I am ready to perform My word[/b]."

13 And the word of the LORD came to me the second time, saying,
"What do you see?" And I said,
"I see a boiling pot, and it is facing away from the north."

14 Then the LORD said to me:
"Out of the north calamity shall break forth
On all the inhabitants of the land.

15 For behold, I am calling
All the families of the kingdoms of the north," says the LORD;
"They shall come and each one set his throne
At the entrance of the gates of Jerusalem
Against all its walls all around,
And against all the cities of Judah.

16 I will utter My judgments
Against them concerning all their wickedness,
Because they have forsaken Me,
Burned incense to other gods,
And worshiped the works of their own hands.

17 "Therefore prepare yourself and arise,
And speak to them all that I command you.
Do not be dismayed before their faces,
Lest I dismay you before them.

18 For behold, I have made you this day
A fortified city and an iron pillar,
And bronze walls against the whole land --
Against the kings of Judah,
Against its princes,
Against its priests,
And against the people of the land.

19 They will fight against you,
But they shall not prevail against you.
For I am with you," says the LORD, "to deliver you." (NKJV)

2006/6/19 5:06
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Quote:
I know God is making me to be a missionary/evangelist/preacher/soul-winner, and to be completely honest, it scares the crap out of me!!! I feel like Jonah.... I don't want to go to Ninevah! I don't want to preach repentance!

Adam, thank you for your honesty. It was quite refreshing.

Praise God it's not about you but rather what Jesus wants to do in your life. The Lord has this awesome way of dealing with our resistance, not sure how He does it but I thank God that He knows how to break every fear, every bit of resistance in my heart.

I would like to tell you Adam that it's not painful but that would be a lie. This breaking is immensely painful because Jesus wants to live his life in you (Christ in you, the hope of glory). That means the self-life has to die. I trust Jesus to finish this work in your heart and will keep you in prayer.

Here's an Oswald Chambers devotional that I thought was on point. It's called the "Do You Walk in White."

DO YOU WALK IN WHITE?

"Buried with Him . . . that . . . even so we also should walk in newness of life." Romans 6:4

No one enters into the experience of entire sanctification without going through a "white funeral" - the burial of the old life. If there has never been this crisis of death, sanctification is nothing more than a vision. There must be a "white funeral," - a death that has only one resurrection - a resurrection into the life of Jesus Christ. Nothing can upset such a life, it is one with God for one purpose, to be a witness to Him.

Have you come to your last days really? You have come to them often in sentiment, but have you come to them really? You cannot go to your funeral in excitement, or die in excitement. Death means you stop being. Do you agree with God that you stop being the striving, earnest kind of Christian you have been? We skirt the cemetery and all the time refuse to go to death. It is not striving to go to death, it is dying - "baptized into His death."

Have you had your "white funeral," or are you sacredly playing the fool with your soul? Is there a place in your life marked as the last day, a place to which the memory goes back with a chastened and extraordinarily grateful remembrance - "Yes, it was then, at that 'white funeral,' that I made an agreement with God."

"This is the will of God, even your sanctification." When you realize what the will of God is, you will enter into sanctification as naturally as can be. Are you willing to go through that "white funeral" now? Do you agree with Him that this is your last day on earth? The moment of agreement depends upon you.

2006/6/19 10:31Profile
Combat_Chuck

Re:

Thanks so much to both of you for sharing with me, It was very encouraging.

The best thing anyone here can do is pray for me.

thanks,
Adam

2006/6/20 0:15Profile

I will be praying.

There are two more things I'd like to add..

The first is, that even the timing of this request from you, is part of the process of your going on and through with God's will for your life. Amen. He is drawing you after Himself.

The second is also about timing in a way - that He allows and brings us through situations and circumstances to enable us to grow into the person He can [u]trust[/u] when the heat is really on, to trust Him and not try to go it alone in a crisis. No situation or circumstance is outside His knowledge, and your mission is to exploit every one of them to know God more IN that situation or circumstance, as much as your heart dare.

The quote from OC that Hab3 gave you, reminds me of this from the same speaker, which I think is an intensely practical exhortation.

December 18th.

THE TEST OF LOYALTY

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God." Romans 8:28

It is only the loyal soul who believes that God engineers circumstances. We take such liberty with our circumstances, we do not believe God engineers them, although we say we do; we treat the things that happen as if they were engineered by men. To be faithful in every circumstance means that we have only one loyalty, and that is to our Lord. Suddenly God breaks up a particular set of circumstances, and the realization comes that we have been disloyal to Him by not recognizing that He had ordered them; we never saw what He was after, and that particular thing will never be repeated all the days of our life. The test of loyalty always comes just there. If we learn to worship God in the trying circumstances, He will alter them in two seconds when He chooses.

Loyalty to Jesus Christ is the thing that we "stick at" to-day. We will be loyal to work, to service, to anything, but do not ask us to be loyal to Jesus Christ. Many Christians are intensely impatient of talking about loyalty to Jesus. Our Lord is dethroned more emphatically by Christian workers than by the world. God is made a machine for blessing men, and Jesus Christ is made a Worker among workers.

The idea is not that we do work for God, but that we are so loyal to Him that He can do His work through us - "I reckon on you for extreme service, with no complaining on your part and no explanation on Mine." God wants to use us as He used His own Son.

2006/6/20 2:53
dohzman

Dear Brother Adam,

I know that many churches have preached that God will send someone to places they don't want to go to, and do things they don't want to do. But they frustrate the grace of God in such teachings. Vision is desire, it runs along the lines of faith hope and love. The Lord will always give the person He calls a vision----ummm---a burden, a desire to do....if you please, somethingHe has called you to. Than He will equip you, that's usually where cross bearing comes into play , a learning to dieing out to self, that all part of the training. But if you don't already have a deep seated desire and drive, a burden for or vision for _________(fill in the blank), than I suspect you either need to spend more time seeking the Lord ormaybe you called yourself or possibly someone you respect has called you in a thus saith the Lord. Think about it, I have to run, God Bless Bro. Daryl.

2006/6/20 7:32Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

dohzman wrote:
I know that many churches have preached that God will send someone to places they don't want to go to, and do things they don't want to do. But they frustrate the grace of God in such teachings. Vision is desire, it runs along the lines of faith hope and love.

Amen...You are a wise man Daryl.

Adam,

I want to ask you, have you done open air before? I ask this because I have had an increasing burden to preach in open air for over a year, but it wasn't until about four months ago that I gave it a go. Right up until I stepped up onto my soap box, and right up until I had openned my mouth, the thought ofdoing it scared me to death. But once I started, I didn't want to stop. I can honestly say that I can (am *Edit* :oops:) constrained by God to limit the amount of open air that I do, and if I had my way, I would be raspy voiced from preaching all day.

Give it a go. Listen to Ray Comfort's [url=http://www.wayofthemaster.com/mp3/tape06.m3u]How to Witness and Preach Effectively[/url], for practicle insight. One of the best points that I found was to memorise John 3:16, and pull it out when you get lost for words. It's amazing. It fits in anywhere, and if it doesn't give you another idea, then you can leave then thinking about it.

You don't need to be obnoxious and offensive, in fact it can work against you, if you are. Just be sincere. Demonstrate you love for sinners, and your concern for their lost condition.

Step out, and watch Jesus. After all his "burden is easy" and his "yoke is light". Be yoked to him, and have a go. You might surprise yourself, and have fun.

2006/6/20 8:17Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy