SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Opposition From Everyone

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

[i]Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled[/i] (Matthew 5:6).

This Beatitude again follows logically from the previous ones; it is a statement to which all the others lead. It is the logical conclusion to which they come, and it is something for which we should all be profoundly thankful and grateful to God. I do not know of a better test that anyone can apply to himself or herself in this whole matter of the Christian profession than a verse like this. If this verse is to you one of the most blessed statements of the whole of Scripture, you can be quite certain you are a Christian. If it is not, then you had better examine the foundations again.

Martyn Lloyd-Jones

2006/6/15 16:18Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Hi, IWantAnguish

Well I have had all the anguish I want, because of my circumstances and situations and mistakes I have made. I found that The Anguish of Christ is good enough for me. For by His Stripes I am healed. I don't need to go around and flagellating my self on the back with a whip. Christ took all that on Himself for us. Most of all He took all my punishment and saved me, because I believe on His Name. Jhn 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:

1Jo 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Christ is my repentance, for I would not even know what to repent of unless The Christ in me by the Holy Spirit gave me understanding of what to repent of. I have been a Christian for thirty years, and in itself that makes me nothing. It does make the Christ in me greater, by, line upon line and precept upon precept and I am still learning of things that I need to repent of which I never even knew were to be repented of. It will go on for the whole time I am in this body of flesh and in the renewing of my mind to the Mind of Christ.

There is nothing I can do to save myself and there is nothing I can do to make me better. It is not up to me to save myself and it is not up to me to keep myself saved. Phl 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:

It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me, is the One I must trust for initial salvation and every aspect of working out my salvation with fear and trembling to the Spirit of Christ that is in me. The Holy Spirit will give me revelation of Christ and how I am to live my life in Him. The only life I now have is Christ in me the Hope of Glory. If I choose to live my life going around and believing I am the one that must be perfect and feel all the Pain that Jesus Felt on the Cross, then Christ died in vain, and the Cross is to no avail.

We must see ourselves on the Cross with Christ. We are as dead to sin as He is. When that perfect Head of Christ, dead and hanging on dead shoulders on the Cross, that took all the sin of the world on Him. I was dead with Him, as dead to sin as He is. Reckon yourselves dead to sin and alive unto Jesus Christ. Galatians 2:19-21 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

The Law of my mind in Christ Jesus is to trust in Him for all that He has and is making me to be, a son of God by the Teaching and Power of the Holy Spirit who is revealing Christ in you the Hope of Glory. Colossians 1:26-29 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

If we really want freedom in Christ, then we must trust in Him and not ourselves. If His stripes are not good enough for my freedom and I think I must feel the stripes as He did, He died in vain and I am not trusting in Him for my salvation, but trusting in my on condemnation to save me. Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Made me Free, Praise God. Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Rom 6:20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

Rom 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

Walk in freedom and He truly will make you free indeed. Who is our freedom, praise God through Christ Jesus we can do all things. 1 Peter 2:24-25 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

And most of all: Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/6/15 16:19Profile
IWantAnguish

Re:

I would like to give thanks to all you guys that have taken time out of your schedules to try and help me out... it means a lot-

I just had a thought about Jacob, and his life of lies. How he lied and stole the blessing from his earthly father, and lived a lie.

It finally came to the point of life and death, where he would meet Esau. Only then did he get into the confrontation with God.

God wrestled with Jacob, Jacob wrestled with God. God asked, 'What is YOUR NAME?' As if God didn't know.

I believe that God has a choke-hold on me at the moment... but I've still got some fight left... God asking me, 'Who are you Sam?'

And I respond, 'I'm not as bad as you say I am, look at what I've done for You, look at how I struggle for You... I'm not that bad...really...'

But still He asks, 'Who are you?'

2006/6/15 18:24Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I would be happy to send you some tapes on repentance. I have several hundred of them and I'm sure it's the Lord heart that you hear a number of them Sam.

My son is Korean and will be a freshmen at VCU in the fall. That being said, I will be spending a lot of time in Richmond.

I praise God for the conviction of sin in your own heart and would encourage to simply go to wherever you pray and stay in the presence of the Lord until you are through. The old-timers called it praying through, which simply means you pray until there's an assurance in your spirit that God has answered your cry. He wants to pour out to you this gift of repentance.

An old preacher named G.C. Bevington in the early 20th century called conviction of sin "turning on the x-ray machine." I'm praying in my spirit right now that God will turn up this x-ray machine until this work of regeneration is complete in your heart.

Feel free to email me and I'll be happy to send you some tapes, as well as pray with you. Today is the day of salvation!

Sam, I'm going to go out on a limb here and claim your soul for the kingdom of God by faith in the blood of Jesus. I'm also standing and believing that God is going to use you to bring revival to VCU, real revival.

2006/6/15 22:54Profile
IWantAnguish

Re:

Wow... I've been following the directions of Charles Finney on his 3rd lecture concerning revival...

After I wrote down all of my sins, and remembering those long lost sins that I thought I had run away from... they all came bubbling up to the surface. And guess what... after all this time, after saying God, give me repentance, I DON'T WANT TO !

Look at me, this wretched self that I am. I look at this sheet of paper, and I say to myself, 'No, God, not this one... I might get kicked out of college for this one... God... I don't have the money to return all of these... There must be another way... God...'

But I've made my decision... I will follow through. Perhaps I will get kicked out of college. Perhaps I will end up in jail. But my conscience will finally be at rest with God. This is it guys... I earnestly ask for your prayers.

2006/6/16 2:30Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Caution...

Sam,

You are still foremost in my prayers...
Whatever you do in all this matter, all the things you read ... I plead with you, take it to prayer and let the Lord press upon you what it is He is requiring of you. Not my suggestions, nor Finney's, nor anyone else's. Certainly those who watch out for your soul and wish to provide whatever counsel they have are to be considered, this site is just an endless well of life changing thought to absorb and contemplate, to think ...

Brother I feel compelled to bring forth a word of caution on Finney's listing here. It is to dodge absolutely nothing. There is a great danger of either the accuser or our own misery making usurping that which only God Himself can bring to bear ... The problem I have with this is in bringing up the past, by [i][u]ourselves[/u][/i] unaided, if one was to really continue on this path backwards, digging up every past sin .... Where does it end? Some of the sins of your past will leave you absolutely powerless to do anything with ... Some will be those that you have already asked forgiveness for, whatever your feelings might scream at you now years later about (I wasn't sincere, I didn't really mean it ...) Brother, the point is, if [u]you[/u] do the deciding in these matters you will be setting yourself up for all kinds of trouble and unnecessary navel-gazing that can become a sin in itself.

Sam, it is at times an exceedingly difficult thing to do, to shut off the chattering mind and get quiet and silent before the Lord. To wait and let go of yourself to Him who knows you far better than you ever will, but it can be done. Again, it is to dodge absolutely nothing. It is fair I believe to state that the Lord will not overwhelm you with anything more than one main item or area at a time.

Oh hear my heart here brother, I have been down into this morass before, many dark, dark nights of the soul, it is to go [i]through[/i] it, not to setup camp there. Sam, without a doubt the Lord deals with us corporately as well as individuals and if I am ever constantly surprised by the Lords ways not being [i]my[/i] ways I couldn't begin to tell it. I will go out on a limb here with our brother Ed and really it is not that far a reach. I tremble to say it, the Lord is at work in you ...

Rom 2:4 [i]Or do you think so little of the riches of his kindness, forbearance, and patience, not realizing that [u]it is God's kindness that is leading you to repentance[/u][/i]?

A bit further out on the limb ... Sam, I hope I am wrong here, but I also hope that you are not hedging everything on a 'silver-bullet' so to speak. It very well may be a process that the Lord takes you through 'line by line, precept by precept' in your heart. He may well overwhelm you in a moment, I pretend to have no idea which. There is an ultimate question expressed by Paul;

[i]He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?[/i] Act 19:2

Settle this through your repentance brother. It may well defy your understanding and your ability of expression. But you will know it and [u]no one[/u] but the Lord Himself can bring it to your heart and acknowledge it to your mind. Your assurance will be a peace that passes all understanding.

My prayers go on.

Pray Sam ...

Another thought...
Luk 8:5 [i]A sower went out to sow...[/i]

You might consider reading ever so slowly and prayerfully Luke 8:5 right on through Luke 8:15.
Where is Sam in all this? Between you and the Lord brother. Ask yourself, but more importantly, ask the Lord to reveal it to your heart.

2006/6/16 10:01Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Philip,

Can't agree more with your post! "The Book of Romans is the abc ( foundation ) book of a Christian", someone once said.

It has helped me often whenever I re-visit Romans and Ephesians. First in solidifying doctrine,which in turn strengthens my faith, the latter reminds me often to guard myself with the Armor of God..and see the spiritual darkness casts by the devil.

Yeah, the spiritual freedom brought forth from these two Books alone help me tremendously whenever I slip into the depressive state of mind

Thank you all

2006/6/16 10:33Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: Good Enough for Luther....

Fully Mamaluk,

I agree. If (Romans) the Word of God, helped that confused religious Augustinian monk who was responsible for what we now call the Reformation; it will most certainly be of benefit to your young friend 'Sam?' in discovering the meaning of true salvation in Christ.

In Christ,
Aeryck

2006/6/16 10:52Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
I have no conviction of the Spirit within my HEART. I can't control my heart. And my heart is still stoney, and yet to be renewed.

I don't know what you think conviction is. If not what you are confessing.

The Spirit convicts us we are dead, that we are lost, that we are apart from Him, that we have no faith in Him, that we are outside of Him and he is not within us. This is conviction.

And the answer to this conviction is to confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead.

Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Call upon Him. Confess Him. Say, "Lord JEsus" save me, Lord Jesus come into me, Lord Jesus I have no faith, Lord Jesus be my Saviour.

Do this, Call upon HIm, Confess your condition, your hard heart, your inability to believe in Him and He will respond.

Graftedbranch

2006/6/16 11:01Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

The only sin I was convicted of was that I was lost and apart from Christ. I was convicted that I was a lost sinner.

I did not hate sin till I was regenerated and had the Life of Christ within me. Then I had a new consciousness of sin and a hatred for it and a desire to live free from it.

But it is a false gospel which tells us we must repent of this or that first. We must hate sin and fosake all sin before we can be saved. We can no more do this than the man in the moon.

We repent of our independant self rightouse life, or we repent of a life apart from God, confess we are lost and unable to change ourselves. It is this confession that brings in God's salvation, regenerates us and enables us to lay hold of Christ.

In my opinion Finny will only wad you up in yourself and cause you to stay from Christ trying to make yourself acceptable to Him by this or that or by digging into yourself trying to repent.

Rather confess Christ, call on Christ, thank Him for His redemption, Thank Him for suffering on the Cross for your sins and for raising from the dead. Confess Him calling on Him as Lord and your spirit will be regenerated.

If there is some thing in particular the Lord wishes to deal with you on, ask HIm to show you. Only the Lord can reveal the condition of the heart. He does not expect us to do His work for Him. In fact, it is the greatest hinderance to obtaining His Light for us to try to dig it up by looking into ourselves. The more we look, the darker the pit we fall into. And this is the testimony of all the Saints.

Trying to work up repentace is futile. You might as well take a thorn bush and lash your back. Rather call on the Lord, confess your condition, confess your lack, confess your blindness, confess your hardness. And Look to Him.

"As Moses lifted up the Serpant in the Wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up that whosoever believes into Him might not perish but have Life which is Eternal."

Graftedbranch

2006/6/16 11:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy