SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Oswald Chambers Study Guide?????

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Aunt_Beth_64

Oswald Chambers Study Guide?????

Does anyone know if a study guide exists to accompany "My Utmost for His Highest" devotions by Oswald Chambers? I'm looking for something that adds commentary and/or questions for reflection that are based on the daily reading. Any tool that will help illuminate the meaning of each devotion for Bible Study students.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2006/6/9 21:05Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Oswald Chambers Study Guide?????

Quote:

Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:
Does anyone know if a study guide exists to accompany "My Utmost for His Highest" devotions by Oswald Chambers? I'm looking for something that adds commentary and/or questions for reflection that are based on the daily reading. Any tool that will help illuminate the meaning of each devotion for Bible Study students.

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but where does it stop, when we begin asking for commentary for commentary? I find the OC is best read and reread, and reread, etc with a gradual deepening of the comprehension. "My Utmost.." is intended to deepen our understanding of scripture, and I think that Chamber's would shudder at the thought that someone where to pursue a deeper understanding of "him" when he lived his life in such a way that de-emphasised him, that people would come to a deeper knowledge of "Him".

Having said all that, Chamber's biography "[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1572930500/qid=1149904136/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7917188-7382225?v=glance&s=books]Oswald Chambers: Abandoned to God[/url]" by David McCasland gave me some good insight into where Chamber's is coming from. As well as the historical formation of the concepts he speaks of. It is an enjoyable read, and I think that it beats having someone else do the dirty work for you.

I hope this helps.

2006/6/9 21:54Profile
Aunt_Beth_64

Re:

Aaron, thank you for your reply. Perhaps I did not state my query clearly, I am not looking for a resource to learn more about Chambers, rather I am looking for something that will help in a group study. I agree with you, on a personal level Chambers devotions are best read, re-read and meditated upon in order for wisdom to lead us to a deeper insight into scripture. I am not sure that reading and discussion the passages as a group can have the same result, but I am willing to try it because this group is very interested. I am trying to locate something that will help folks who aren't don't necessarily know how to study and meditate in a deep way learn how to do so.

Quote:

CJaKfOrEsT wrote:
Quote:

Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but where does it stop, when we begin asking for commentary for commentary? I find the OC is best read and reread, and reread, etc with a gradual deepening of the comprehension. "My Utmost.." is intended to deepen our understanding of scripture, and I think that Chamber's would shudder at the thought that someone where to pursue a deeper understanding of "him" when he lived his life in such a way that de-emphasised him, that people would come to a deeper knowledge of "Him".

Having said all that, Chamber's biography "[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1572930500/qid=1149904136/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7917188-7382225?v=glance&s=books]Oswald Chambers: Abandoned to God[/url]" by David McCasland gave me some good insight into where Chamber's is coming from. As well as the historical formation of the concepts he speaks of. It is an enjoyable read, and I think that it beats having someone else do the dirty work for you.

I hope this helps.

2006/6/10 0:00Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:
Aaron, thank you for your reply. Perhaps I did not state my query clearly, I am not looking for a resource to learn more about Chambers, rather I am looking for something that will help in a group study. I agree with you, on a personal level Chambers devotions are best read, re-read and meditated upon in order for wisdom to lead us to a deeper insight into scripture. I am not sure that reading and discussion the passages as a group can have the same result, but I am willing to try it because this group is very interested. I am trying to locate something that will help folks who aren't don't necessarily know how to study and meditate in a deep way learn how to do so.

Interesting that you say this, because "My Utmost.." is a compilation of verbatim notes taken during morning devotional groups at Zeitoun Egypt, taken by his wife Biddy. Each study is a compressed lecture, and as such are actually intended to be lecture material. Few realise that very little of Chambers work was penned by OC, but that Biddy was capable of taking short hand at a rate that was faster than any human being could speak. Her childhood dream was to be the secretary of the Prime Minister of England.

The other thing is that the audience that were present in the Zeitoun lectures were not theologians, or even bible college students, but they were soldiers fighting in the Great War (WWI). This is why the readings have such a relevancy about them, because they are not dealing with abstract themes, but "nitty-gritty" real life situations, to people who had no time for "fanciness" but were keenly aware of their own mortality.

I mentioned Chambers' bio, because I found that after I had read it, I could appreciate each of the readings context and purpose. Chambers was an extremely practical man, who had little time for speculation. He would read and study worldly literature as well as biblical, in order to grasp themes that many theologians ignored.

If you are concerned that "My Utmost..." would be difficult to bring into a group context, perhaps consider some of his lectures. Biddy spent the remainder of her life after Oswald's "gradulation" typing out his lectures for distribution, in order to preserve the legacy of what the Lord had done through her husband.

I began to post one of his earlier lectures [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=9493&forum=34&post_id=&refresh=Go]Biblical Ethics[/url], and consider your interest to be adequate motivation to continue. I slowed down because I put my reading of them on hold, and thought that integrity would require that I read it before sharing.

2006/6/10 8:27Profile
Aunt_Beth_64

Re:

Aaron-

Thank you so much for pointing me to your thread. Yes, please continue.

Beth

2006/6/10 23:59Profile

Re:

Dear Aunt Beth,

The best book for what you ask is DeVern Fromke's "The Ultimate Intention". O.C. and that book go hand in hand. It is also written with group study in mind. It has a study guide with Q and A after each chapter.
Fromke no doubt gleaned much from Chambers and quote's much of Chambers, Nee, Tozer and others in his work.

Orm

2006/6/12 16:55
Aunt_Beth_64

Re:

Orm-

Thank you very much, I will try to locate a copy. It sounds like just what I am looking for.

Beth

2006/6/12 20:30Profile

Re:

Go here Aunt Beth,

http://www.seekerstrove.com/index.html

:-Drm

2006/6/13 7:33
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Oswald Chambers Study Guide?????

Aunt Beth,

I would like to challenge you: instead of studying a man's work, why not take a book from the Bible, one you know the least about and make it a focus of your studies? If you do so, the rewards will be tremendous. It will beat studying OC works by a country mile! Try it! Hey! I have done it and as a result find the writings of many boring! Seriously! Why should I be satisfied eating left-overs when I can have a gourmet meal everyday? This is the difference between getting it first hand from God or getting it from a contemporary writer.

Just my opinion and testimony!

ginnyrose

2006/6/14 3:10Profile

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Aunt Beth,

I would like to challenge you: instead of studying a man's work, why not take a book from the Bible, one you know the least about and make it a focus of your studies? If you do so, the rewards will be tremendous. It will beat studying OC works by a country mile! Try it! Hey! I have done it and as a result find the writings of many boring! Seriously! Why should I be satisfied eating left-overs when I can have a gourmet meal everyday? This is the difference between getting it first hand from God or getting it from a contemporary writer.

Just my opinion and testimony!

ginnyrose

Oswald Chambers isn't left overs by any stretch of the imagination. He will bring fresh understanding to the scriptures... guaranteed.

Orm

2006/6/14 11:50

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy