PosterThread
Combat_Chuck

Septuagint and Masoretic

Which is better, why?

2006/6/9 4:08Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Septuagint and Masoretic

Don't know but I only read English anyhow, so if they are in Greek or Hebrew they are no good to me. However, I guess you are looking at which text is most reliable. Who can say? Someone will, but it's not me. Sorry, I'm not much help, but you will get the help you are looking for. God bless.

2006/6/9 5:07Profile
Combat_Chuck

Lol. Thanks enid :-D :-D

2006/6/9 5:30Profile

Quote:

Combat_Chuck wrote:
Which is better, why?

This is going to depend on whom you ask most likely.

I prefer the Masoretic, but since Im not getting into another discussion about the details concerning which text is 'better' I dont think I want to list the reasons why.

What Id do is research both sides trying to find a lot of information from Neutral sources....compare also the words and accusations of those who take one side or another with these neutral sources and see if you can put a bigger picture together.

This is what led me to believe that it is the actual Greek Majority Texts that are 'Gods word'....

Good luck :)

2006/6/9 13:21
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I believe that the Hebrew Masoretic text was the originally inspired Word of God, BUT most quotations of the Old Testament in the New Testament are from the Greek Septuagint Translation rather than the Masoretic text. There are many indications that the Septuagint translation was the 'default version' for Palestinian Jews as well as for those of the Diaspora.

2006/6/12 15:26Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

From my understanding, the LXX is generally a pretty good translation of the Hebrew. However, at times it is not so good, and has a tendency towards paraphrasing sometimes. But being that I don't know Hebrew, I cannot really say how accurate it is.

2006/6/12 19:26Profile
PeterAV

[b][color=0000CC]Masoretic is the best,of course[/color][/b]
The Hebrew Bible from the Hebrews is obviously going to be way superior than a translation by what is termed as "disobedient Jews" that were not obeying God's commands.

1]Only the tribe of Levi was the custodians of the written words.

2]Jews were not permitted to go back to Egypt.

3]No quotation in the New Testament that Jesus or the Apostles ever quotes are from the LXX[72].

Now tell me,Why would a non-existent Greek Old Testament that is supposed to be from 220 B.C. to be more superior than the word of God given to the Jews?

In fact,if one reads all of the textual critics,not one of them give one verse from this Greek Old Testament written BEFORE the time of Christ that any New Testament writer "used,"or quoted.
Here is a short list of gentlemen that have studied this and have found nothing in a lifetime of study as Dr.Ruckman puts it.
Kulilek couldn't find any.
Neither did Origen or Aristobulus.
Neither did Symmachus or Aquila.
Neither did ben Sirach or Philo.
Neither did Augustine nor Josephus.
Neither did Swete or Wurtheim.
Neither did Kenyon or Custer.
Neither did Skehan or Bruce.
Neither did Pfeiffer or vanderkam.
Neither did Metzger og Ira Price.
Neither did Schaff or Burgon.
Neither did Hills or the AV translators.
Neither did Bob Jones III or John Akerberg.
Neither did James White or Bob Ross.
Neither did Sumner nor A.T.Robertson.
Neither did B.B. Warfield or Kenneth Wuest.
Neither did Bratton or Swindoll

Along with many more to boot;
Aland,Nestle,Nida,Farstad,Hodges,Trench,Hort,Miller,Scrivener,Erasmus,Vincent,Thayer,Albright,John R.Rice,Lightfoot,..or..or..

Simply because there is no verse.
The Masoretic Texts are the best.

PeterAV
Every word of God is pure:

Quote:

Combat_Chuck wrote:
Which is better, why?

2006/6/12 20:48Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Stever, why did you register a new name just to make this post?

Quote:

People wrote the Law all over the place. It adorned their doorposts and even their clothing.

Quote:

Jeremiah went to Egypt to prophesy. Joseph took Jesus to Egypt. Going to Egypt itself was never forbidden.

Quote:

3]No quotation in the New Testament that Jesus or the Apostles ever quotes are from the LXX[72].

This is simply wrong. Most of the NT quotes of the OT are from the LXX. Sometimes the wording is exact.

Quote:

Now tell me,Why would a non-existent Greek Old Testament that is supposed to be from 220 B.C. to be more superior than the word of God given to the Jews?

I don't think anybody here has asserted that the LXX is supperior to the Hebrew. It's like the KJV, only a translation, and a tranlsation will never be superior to the original, as something always gets lost in translation. However, studying the LXX has an advantage, as it can (but not always) better help us understand some more difficult passages in Hebrew.

2006/6/12 21:52Profile

Re:

by KingJimmy on 2006/6/12 16:52:16

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stever responds:

You are wrongly accusing me of something I did not, and would not do.

I have never changed my "identity" to post here, ever, and I never will.

How can an honest man do such a thing? Why would especially a Christian, who has nothing to hide, ever contemplate doing such a thing?

If I post anything here, it is under my own post name "Stever".

You are mistaken.

God bless,

Stever :-D
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:

Quote:

People wrote the Law all over the place. It adorned their doorposts and even their clothing.

Quote:

Jeremiah went to Egypt to prophesy. Joseph took Jesus to Egypt. Going to Egypt itself was never forbidden.

Quote:

This is simply wrong. Most of the NT quotes of the OT are from the LXX. Sometimes the wording is exact.

Quote:

I don't think anybody here has asserted that the LXX is supperior to the Hebrew. It's like the KJV, only a translation, and a tranlsation will never be superior to the original, as something always gets lost in translation. However, studying the LXX has an advantage, as it can (but not always) better help us understand some more difficult passages in Hebrew.

2006/6/12 22:38
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

My apologies then. I just find it very strange to be on a similar topic from not too long ago, and to have a message in my message inbox that makes very similar claims from you as the message in this post. I guess somebody out there is simply using the same web sites and such you often use for your posts.

2006/6/12 22:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy