Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Paul is the author of Hebrews

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Paul is the author of Hebrews

SI members,

I have always felt the author of Hebrews is Paul. Here is some evidence, I believe.

"For ye had compassion of ME in MY bonds," Hebrews 10:34 KJV

"You sympathized with those in prison" Hebrews 10:34 NIV

The NIV version implies the audience of the letter had sympathy for others in prison.

The KJ version states the audience of the letter had compassion for the writer of the letter because of HIS bonds. And who was imprisoned more for their faith in Christ then Paul.

Murray

2006/6/7 14:26Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re: Paul is the author of Hebrews

God is the author of Hebrews...

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets...

God...

Other epistles start with Paul a bondservant...
or Peter an apostle...
but this one starts with God..

That is all we need to know. Amen!?

2006/6/7 14:30Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

ForeEvidence,

I knew somebody was going to say that. I think we all know that every book in the bible is written by the Holy Spirit. I am just speaking of the vessel the Spirit came through. This is intended as a conversation piece, not an attempt to take the glory away from the godhead.

Murray

2006/6/7 14:33Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Hi murdog,

The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write. (II Thessalonians 3:17)

Not having a salutation at the beginning and end, how are we to wreckon with this passage if Paul wrote Hebrews? I have to agree with Foreevidence and just say that God wrote it. To me, the way in which it begins reminds me of the flow of Luke and Acts. But I think it impossible to say definitively. ;-)

2006/6/7 14:48Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Robert,

I also agree with forevidence that God wrote it. I have heard Hebrews attributed to Luke also. In my post I said this is just my opinion. I can't say definitively who wrote it. I just think it is Paul. I was only trying to create discussion.

Take Care,

Murray

2006/6/7 14:55Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Quote:
This is intended as a conversation piece, not an attempt to take the glory away from the godhead.

I know. It was just wanted to share an observation I learned when I studied the book and asked the same question.

No other book starts with God...
other then Genesis, in the beginning God...

But check this out, just for the sake of speculation and to throw a monkey wrench into some of our thoughts. Some people say that Barnabas the companion of Paul wrote this epistle. It would be interesting, although there is lack of evidence. But he was a Levite and knew the temple services, and he also was an apostle according to the book of acts. So could it be?

Also some have supposed it ot be Clemente of Rome, the disciple that took over right after Peter. But I don't know about that. Anyways just throwing stuff out there. Have fun... :-)

2006/6/7 15:03Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Forevidence,

Sorry for sounding too sensitive. I appreciate your input.

Murray

2006/6/7 15:05Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

No it's all good, don't worry about it.
Peace, not as the world gives!

2006/6/7 15:22Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I also agree with forevidence that God wrote it. I have heard Hebrews attributed to Luke also. In my post I said this is just my opinion. I can't say definitively who wrote it. I just think it is Paul. I was only trying to create discussion.

No problem at all. I took no offense. I just wondered if you had a theory on why Hebrews would not have the salutations that we find in the other epistles.

God Bless,

-Robert

2006/6/7 15:41Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

First we'll go for my rather unspiritual answer:

I dont think it was Paul because Pauls epistles are very personal and Hebrews is not,

Barnabas being a levite might shed some light on it but i think, and this is very speculative as i dont know the arguments for and against each candidate, that it could have been Appolus, after all he was 'man mighty in the scriptures' Acts 18:24, but this could be brought down by a factual bit of knowledge if anyone cares to take a swing at the root of this idea.

now for the more spiritual answer, not from me from my bro Steve,

whoever wrote Hebrews doesn't matter, we have 26 books of the NT that we know who the authors were but this one book God, for reasons unknown to us, has chosen to not tell us who the author is.

but it's still a fun kind of around the coffee table discussion.

2006/6/7 15:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy