SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is Expository Preaching?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
inotof

Morehead, KY

What is Expository Preaching?

Hello all,
I have a question for those out there that minister. I have heard the term “Expository Preaching” in recent months and while I think I have an idea of what exactly that term means (e.g. preaching that is the result of exegesis) I wonder if perhaps someone could enlighten me with an example of an expository minister that might have a message or two on this site. Also,
I have come to understand that there are different types of messages as well (topical, word studies, those with prophetic implications) would anyone have an example of what an “un- expository message would be? I’m not seeking to stir controversy, I glory that Christ is preached at all, I simply feel I could better under stand the terms if I saw or heard the dynamic that makes them such. Thanks a bunch. Dave

2006/5/27 13:59Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: What is Expository Preaching?

www.EXPOSITORY.ORG, Preaching-Resources

Expository preaching deals with the structure of the text. It wrestles with the text to the point that you can understand thoroughly what it is saying. And then reproduces it in language understandable by your hearers. That’s the work of a expository preacher.

IN Christ: Phillip

2006/5/27 14:54Profile
MR_CPK

Indiana

Expository preaching differs from topical preaching in that the former concentrates on a specific text and discusses topics covered therein, whereas the latter concentrates on a specific topic and references texts covering the topic. Chuck Smith and most Calvary Chapel ministers use this method. Charles Spurgeon, A.W. Pink, and John MacArthur are also generally classed as expository preachers. Hope that helps.

2006/5/27 15:01Profile
Logic

inotof wrote:

Quote:
would anyone have an example of what an “un- expository message would be?

an example Expository preaching would be Carter Conlon, and an example topical preaching would be David Wilkerson.

2006/5/27 18:39Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

In my homiletics class in Bible school we learned expository preaching.

Expository preaching takes a certian text, expounds the text, illustrates the text, applies the text, and appropriates the blessing.

It seaks to extract the meaning of a certian text, puts it in it's context, and then applies it to the hearers.

Topical preaching on the other hand may take many differeint related scriptures with a simular topic. Topics such as faith, prayer, justification, the Blood of Christ, or other topics.

Martine Lloyd Jones was an expository preacher and his method is expounded in "Preachers and Preaching"

I would say Watchman Nee tended to be more topical as most of his books and his messages begin with a collection of related verses and his exposition is based on the aggragate of them. He saw the Bible as a whole and opperated on the principle that scripture interpretes scripture and to gain the full measure of revelation, one must compare all the related verses.

His preaching style and method is shown in "The Ministry of the Word" and he placed a great emphasis on the constitution of the preacher.

Most preaching nowadays however just takes a verse or two as a spring board and launches into whatever the preacher wants to talk about. And it usually ends up not having anything to do with the text. Usually the scripture is just a spring board to psycology, to the latest agenda of the church, or some other thing. The people think they have heard a biblical sermon when in reality they have not.

Graftedbranch

2006/5/30 19:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy