SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : When is one free from the law?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

This is copied from another thread...but it speaks to this thread as well...

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth
and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store
up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor
rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for
where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matt 6:19-21).

"SELL YOUR POSSESSIONS and give to charity; make yourselves
money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven,
where no thief comes near nor moth destroys. For WHERE YOUR
TREASURE IS, there your heart will be also" (Luke 12:33-34).

In both of these sections of Scripture we find the word "treasure." The carnal mind has not the capacity to understand the treasure that is of heaven. The carnal mind is subjected to that which is seen, that which is created.

Likewise we find other Scripture which point to the same precepts.

Luke 14:25 Now great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to them, 26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. 28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it— 29 lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, “This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ 31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 Or else, while the other is still a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace. 33 So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.

I have found myself counting the costs. I have ventured in my flesh seeking to conform to the precepts commanded of us by Jesus. I myself have found that frustration and striving is all that comes from living according to the commandments. And this is expected of all who come to seriously consider the demands of Scripture in our lives. We have been corrupted by the treasures that the world seeks. We have been taught that gold and silver can bring security and gladness. We are bombarded by Madison Avenue's messages which glorify the creation and not the Creator.

Jesus defines for us the nature of worldly treasure. It is clearly defined throughout the OT and NT. The carnal mind is given a clear picture of what Jesus demands of us. However, the Scripture alone, does not enable the carnal mind to understand the "heavenly treasure." Thus man is trapped and convicted by the law of God.

So attitude or oaths alone lead man to dispare. Legalizism takes root. Those who continue along this path might well be spoken of by Paul when he cries for his own people.

Rom. 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Do you hear and understand what Paul is declaring here?

Read each word, contemplate the sequence of thoughts, seek Wisdom.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/8/13 8:14Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Now there is a more excelent way. A way that looks to God for deliverance of coventousness...

Psalm 119:33-37,

Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes, and I shall keep it to the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law; Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart. Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, For I delight in it. Incline my heart to Your testimonies, and not to covetousness. Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things...

In this section of Scripture the Psalmist prays that God will deliver him from covetousness. Look carefully to the last verse...

"Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things"

The Lord through Scripture, and the work of the Holy Spirit replaces the things that we once treasured with things that are of His kingdom. This is the "way of His statutes."

In another place in Psalm 119:17-19,

"Deal bountifully with Your servant, That I may live and keep Your word. Open my eyes, that I may see Wonderous things from Your law. I am a stranger in the earth; Do not hide Your commandment from me..."

The treasures of the kingdom replace the treasures of this earth. Only by the bountifull grace of our Lord are we able to overcome those things which binded us to this earth. Look closely at the last part of the verse..."I am a stranger in the earth"

What does this say about the things this Psalmist values?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/8/14 20:26Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

In spending some time reviewing recent posts, Grafted Branch wrote:

Quote:
Only the Spirit can transform us into the image of Christ and that only as we behold Him through the Word (as the context of 2 Cor 3 reveals) as the Spirit unveils Him to us. And as we see Him, we are transformed into the same image by the Spirit who indwells us. Not all at one time. But little by little, day by day as we behold Him, as we are exposed, as we see the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ, we see some aspect of Him by the Spirit's light in the Word, we call on Him, we apprehend and we are transformed. He is worked into us and we become constituted with Him. And we live Him out and we know it. We are conscious that there is another Life at work within us and we know it is not of us but it is Christ in us.

This thought that you developed reminded me of this Scripture.

Proverbs 8:

32 “Now therefore, listen to me, my children,
For blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Hear instruction and be wise,
And do not disdain it.
34 Blessed is the man who listens to me,
Watching daily at my gates,
Waiting at the posts of my doors.
35 For whoever finds me finds life,
And obtains favor from the LORD;
36 But he who sins against me wrongs his own soul;
All those who hate me love death.”

All those who listen and do not disdain instruction will come to recognize the Holy One.

Proverbs 9:10

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

As you wrote:

Quote:
He is worked into us and we become constituted with Him. And we live Him out and we know it. We are conscious that there is another Life at work within us and we know it is not of us but it is Christ in us.

Knowing the Holy One is understanding.

God Bless

In Christ
Jeff

2006/8/20 1:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy