SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Old fashion tent revival meetings

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Old fashion tent revival meetings

Last night we visited an "old fashion" tent revival meeting... complete with sawdust and huge tent. Never been to one before. Probably 350 people in attendance. The hymn singing was really great... the kind you'd expect here in the mountains of North Carolina. The preaching was firey (and from the KJV). There were probably close to 30 people who went forward at the end for various reasons.

Anyone ever been to one of these? If you ever get the chance, you should.

Krispy

2006/5/24 13:02
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Old fashion tent revival meetings

They walked the ol sawdust trail huh? I've never been to one, but I would like to go to one. Anyone ever been to a Brush Arbor? Or should I ask if anyone has even heard of one? ;-)

2006/5/24 13:43Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Here is a picture of one.

[img]http://www.studioblountsprings.com/arbor.jpg[/img]

2006/5/24 13:48Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi Krispy...

Yes, I have been to several tent meetings. I have often wondered about the reasons that such meetings seem to be so effective. I feel that tent meetings (and camp meetings, outdoor services, etc...) allow people to attend without forcing neo-modern religious traditions upon them. In my opinion, the only thing worse than traditional extrabiblical religious customs are the modern extrabiblical religious customs.

Such non-traditional meetings often allow many people to realize that God is not confined to a church building, chapel or fancy dress clothes (your "Sunday best"). If God can meet you on the saw dust covered grounds of an old tent, then God can meet you anywhere.

The most amazing meetings that I have ever attended were with the Tarahumara in the remote Sierra Madre Occidental mountains of southern Chihuahua, Mexico. Their church meetings were held beneath trees, in caves, or in the log cabin sanctuaries that were built by missionary teams in this huge mountain range. Electricity isn't available (and is unavailable to nearly all of the Tarahumara). There weren't any fancy sound systems, pianos, organs, hymnals or choir robes. There weren't any "day care" services available. There weren't even any chairs. But the Lord visited us mightily during those meetings! The Tarahumara live primarily in caves with little to no modern influence, so most of the visitors had [u]never[/u] heard of Christ. Since converts to Christ are often harshly persecuted amongst the Tarahumara, the tears and cries of repentance in those meetings were almost certainly real.

I have often wished that all believers could experience the simplicity of the faith as is known by the Tarahumara.

:-)

2006/5/24 14:07Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Yes, I have when I was a young girl back in the 50s. They were very common then. The meetings could go for four weeks, 7 evenings a week straight! Now can you imagine a person preaching that long - every night!! Oh! and what were their living quarters like? a small (by today's standards) travel trailer which housed his wife, and family of several children.

Later this evangelist sold his tent, the 18-wheeler that carried it, and had the meetings in buildings. Somehow, it was not the same and neither were the responses. Maybe by then people had gotten too rich and did not feel a need for a Savior? Just guessing....

I miss those days...

Krispy, I am glad to hear someone still has the vision to minister in such an environment. Expensive buildings, programs, "professional actors" (my description) leading worship is a turnoff for many and perhaps the Holy Spirit as well?

Blessings,

ginnyrose

2006/5/25 10:09Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Chris wrote:

Quote:
There weren't any "day care" services available.

The local conservative Menonite community holds a tent meeting every summer for a week. They sing old time hymns without instruments. The entire family, including the babies and all the children are part of this meeting.

This seems so different than what I have become use to. Today in our wisdom, we are taught that children are a distraction for the adults. I have lived under this teaching for about 7 years now and have come to see this as an unfruitful method of man. We come to the building, we are encouraged by the ministry to sign in our kids with the conveniently supplied Sunday school children's ministry. And then we rush to find our seats in these plush air condintioned auditoriums immerced in comercially designed sound systems, stages and sometimes fully developed orchestras. Oh yes I almost forgot the two or three strategically placed projection screens.

I have decided against allowing my children to be seperated from us in service. We attend as a family undivided. This decision found its roots in the tent meeting that I have attended.

Thanks Krispy for your thoughts.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/5/25 10:59Profile
brentw

Ohio

Quote:
Last night we visited an "old fashion" tent revival meeting...

To bad its old fashion ;-)

"Ask for the old paths"

I like this post!

2006/5/25 13:16Profile

Re:

Actually they are meeting everynight this week. We've only been able to make it to one. We may go tomorrow night again.

Krispy

2006/5/25 13:23
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

This might be of some interest to you guy's:

http://www.brusharbor.net/

2006/5/25 15:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy