Discussion Forum : General Topics : Parables and KJV

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
allhavsinned

North West England

Parables and KJV

In another thread, Krispykrittr wrote:

Quote:

As for Chris' comments about certain words being difficult in the KJV, and having to sometimes rely on a dictionary or a Strong's... thats called "studying", and when you have to research certain meanings it can also open up other doors of understanding into God's Word as well... and I do not see that as a bad thing. If someone has truly been born again then the Spirit will instill in them a desire for the deeper things of God, and not just read the Word, but study it and delve into it like it was a treasure chest that they just found on a sunken pirate ship at the bottom of the sea.

I thought this was well said, a lot of people only 'read' the bible and they do that just cos they are told it makes them a better Christian.
But those who really read and want to know the bible, and of course Jesus, will read any version, no matter how 'hard' it is. My own daughter (11yo) reads the KJV when there are others available to her, because she knows it's the 'best' version. However this point has been debated elsewhere. Here I want to put a biblical perspective which I noticed this week.

In Mark Jesus says this...

Mk 4:10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the
twelve asked of him the parable.
Mk 4:11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the
mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without,
all [these] things are done in parables:
Mk 4:12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing
they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should
be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them.

So you see, Jesus didn't speak openly of the things of the Spirit, but left people in a position where, those who wanted to know more could find out more and those who were really not interested were left empty handed. I think the quote 'don't throw pearls before swine' comes in here.

It is my belief that newer versions of the bible try to explain it too much by putting it into modern language and even slang, I think the NIV actually says that in translating, the authors wrote the meaning of the verse rather than the literal translation, thus removing the work of the Holy Spirit to reveal God's meaning to us. (That's how I understand it anyway).

I welcome your comments and criticisms

Ste

2006/5/18 18:57Profile

Re: Parables and KJV

Quote:
I think the NIV actually says that in translating, the authors wrote the meaning of the verse rather than the literal translation, thus removing the work of the Holy Spirit to reveal God's meaning to us.

Thats called "Dynamic Equivalency", I believe. I think you're point is well stated. Many of the newer translations attempt to make everything clear for the reader... and in doing so they can not help but interject their own interpretations and spins on it, rather than just putting it out there as it is and letting scripture interpret scripture and the Holy Spirit be the teacher.

Thats only one reason to reject modern versions... there are many others as well, which have been debated to the point of nausia on this site.

Krispy

2006/5/19 9:28

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy