SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : (God's) Love is not (only) objective?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

(God's) Love is not (only) objective?

I hope other questions will spring naturally from considering this.

Love is [i][b]not[/b][/i] objective?

2006/5/18 3:24
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re: Love is not objective

If love is not objective, does that mean it is subjective? What is love?

Blake

2006/5/18 8:29Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

Love is [i][b]not[/b][/i] objective?

In the words of Pauline Hanson, "Please explain (pronounced 'exploin')?"
(Aussie joke, but serious question).

2006/5/18 8:32Profile
Treasureak

Love is Submissive... and as we All know love is patient, and kind it does not take into accout any wrong doings, it forgives and it gives, and it gives, and it gives.

What do you mean by objective?

I believe that love is wanting to get to know someone, without judging them. It's being sensative enough to know and discern certain concerns. It's to weep with those who weep, and to rejoice with those who rejoice.

What is Love? This is what my bible says;

LOVE, we may have given up on love. Perhaps we have waited for love to find us, only to be disappointed. Maybe our loved ones have hurt us so badily that we needed to numb ourself from the pain. In the past. It is God's will that we love others; without love nothing else matters 1 Corn 13:1-3 -- Love is more that a feeling, YES IT IS, it is choosing to behave in loving ways. It is a fruit of the Holy Spirit, produced in our life as we yield to God. Amen The bible defines it this way: "Love is patient and kind." " Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude" "Love never gives up!" " Love never loses faith", "Love is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance".

No one loves perfectly, but we must learn how to love. We can ask God to help us love others and stop waiting fro them to love us. We cannot expect to be good at loving right away; we should be patient as God's love grows within us and he teaches us how to love. When we choose to act in loving ways, the emtions will follow, and we will find that our love will be returned.

2006/5/18 14:54Profile
Scroggins

Dallas, TX

Re:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

4Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.

5It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

6It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.

7Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].

8Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. As for prophecy ([d]the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), it will be fulfilled and pass away; as for tongues, they will be destroyed and cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away [it will lose its value and be superseded by truth].

2006/5/18 15:05Profile
Treasureak

Quote:

Thanks Dorcas for beginning this thread.

It seems that the more we speak about Love, the more we desire to disect God's word and begin to share through out Scripture what LOVE is, what LOVE means to us personally, and What LOVE meant to God.

John 3:16, For God so LOVED the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish, but have eternal life.

LOVE IS SACRIFICIAL, it sacrifices it is always willing to go above and beyond. Without expecting anything in return, knowing that what you do you do it as unto the Lord.

2006/5/18 17:09Profile

Hi beenblake,

Quote:
If love is not objective, does that mean it is subjective?

I believe it has an [i]element[/i] of subjectivity, and am wondering if it should be [i]totally subjective[/i], to be like God's, or, do we think God is also objective in His love for us, as we are in our love for others in certain situations?

Quote:
What is love?

What is [b][i]pure[/i][/b] love (like)?

CJaKfOrEsT wrote
Quote:
(Aussie joke, but serious question).

Serious answer; is objectivity necessary when discerning who and what to love, or, is it a product of the Fall which God is forced to accommodate because humans can't function without it (because the world is now a dangerous place because of sin)?

Is God the Father's love 'objective'?

Is Christlikeness dependent on our [u]losing[/u] as much objectivity as possible?

This is not something I've heard discussed before, so I hope it challenges some of our / my assumptions, wherever they may be.

2006/5/19 6:13
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
1 Corinthians 13:4-8 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

4Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.

5It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

6It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.

7Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].

8Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. As for prophecy ([d]the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), it will be fulfilled and pass away; as for tongues, they will be destroyed and cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away [it will lose its value and be superseded by truth

Amen.......this is where I turn everytime I need to remind myself of what Love truly is. What GOD says love is does not appear to me to be based on conditions, but ever hopeful inspite of the conditions. Blessings in Him, Cindy

2006/5/20 9:33Profile

Re:

Quote:
Dorcas said : What is pure love (like)?

I have been asking myself the same question the past couple of months. And when the study is over, I will tell you of all my discoveries.

But for now, I found out "love" means to DELIGHT in something/someone.

So, God loves you, can mean in a deeper way. God delights in you.

But, above all, I think we can only know what Love is by when we have RECEIVED HIS LOVE. *God's love*

1 John 4:19
We love, because He first loved us.

And even in a more practical way to describe this. If you don't have money in your pocket, you won't be able to give it out to another person, neither will you be able to look at it and examine it. So, first GET some money, then you can give it away and examine it.

So, FIRST receive God's love (love = the 'money' in the analogy). Then examine it.

That's my 'rough' findings as of now. (Keep in mind, it's not greatly organized and such, but I'm only 1/3 of the way through the study)

2006/5/20 12:24
roadsign

Re: Yes, love is objective!

Dictionary definitions:

Objective
Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices: an objective critic.
Based on observable phenomena; presented factually: an objective appraisal.
Indicating a symptom or condition perceived as a sign of disease by someone other than the person affected.
independent of individual thought, and perceptible by all observers
perceptible to persons other than the affected individual

Subjective:
Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external world: a subjective decision.
Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.
Illusory. Existing only within the experiencer's mind.
Of, relating to, or designating a symptom or condition perceived by the patient and not by the examiner.

In view of these definitions, we would have to say that love is both. God’s love infiltrates the entire human race. Many do not believe in God's love, and for them it is neither a subjective reality nor an objective reality.

Love is objective. IT is real. It is a fact. God is love. However, without subjective awareness, or without accepting its reality one remains in denial.

Those who do not have a subjective encounter with God’s love will not be inclined to put their trust in him, or accept his mercy and forgiveness.

Love must be much more than an objective, doctrinal truth. It must be a subjective experience/reality in order for one to live a godly life that pleases God.

Yes, love is objective! If it wasn’t, it would only be an illusion. And trusting in an illusion is false trust.

As YeshuaIsMyGod posted:

Quote:
1 John 4:19
We love, because He first loved us.

Does that make sense?
Diane

2006/5/20 21:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy