SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Wedding Garment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Wedding Garment

This is something that has puzzled me for many years. The Lord has revealed to my heart and now I see. If what I see it correct, and I belive it is, the revelation and implication is quite profound for the church.

The Bible speaks of the Kingdom of God being likened to a wedding feast given by a king with everyone required to wear his wedding garment. (See Matt.22)

Question: How come this man didn't have one?

:-(rm

2006/5/15 10:26

Re: The Wedding Garment

Ormy posted:

"The Bible speaks of the Kingdom of God being likened to a wedding feast given by a king with everyone required to wear his wedding garment. (See Matt.22)

Question: How come this man didn't have one? "

xxxxxxxxx

Stever responds:

You and I know that Christ is the one that gives us the garment to wear. He "puts on" His robe on those that believe in Him, and then we become righteous because of our belief in what He did for us at Calvary.

The man in Matthew is an example of a non-believer that thinks he deserves heaven because of his own works, and therefore is denied entry.

In the ancient Jewish wedding, the Groom always provided the garments for guests to wear. Also, in the Blood Covenant Ritual, each of the two men participating would put their coats on the other. This would symbolize that they are putting on "their nature" onto the other. Also, they would exchange belts. The belt is what carried their weapons. This symbolized that they would each fight to the death for the other.

In ancient Jewish history prisons were not necessary because the blood brother of the one killed would provide retribution for his slain blood brother. They did have cities of refuge (6) that were run by Levite Priests, that were established to house those that had accidentally killed someone. The Priest would interview the person that wanted to enter, and if he was satisfied, he allowed the person to enter and live there. The blood brother was bound not to enter. Once the Priest died, the person was allowed to leave and the Blood Brother was not allowed to slay him.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Our belief in Jesus Christ as LORD, and in his death and resurrection provides us with "HIS NATURE" that He gives to us, that he "puts on" to us. No one can enter heaven or be married to HIM and live with HIM forever without it.

God bless,

Stever :-)

2006/5/15 11:08
npautsky

Texas

Re: The Wedding Garment

Hello Ormly,

I believe the wedding garment is a metaphor for a genuine walk with God. I think the Lord is saying
the exact same thing here only using a different metaphor:

Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried

in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white

raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the

shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint

thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

I believe the Lord is teaching us that we need to understand that in coming to him serious attention is to be paid to his commandments so that we will truly walk in his ways. In the first part of the parable of the wedding feast the people invited despised the Gospel and did not think it worthy of their time and effort. I believe the guest without the wedding garment represents the person who thinks salvation is a great idea but doesn't come to terms with the commitment to righteousness that is necessary to embrace the Gospel.

Tit 1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of

Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's

elect, and [b]the acknowledging of the truth which

is after godliness;[/b]

I believe that a person who trusts in the blood of Jesus to cover their past sins and who earnestly seeks first the Kingdom of God and his Righteousness will have a wedding garment and white raiment and gold tried in the fire.

I respectfully disagree with Stever on this subject.

I am curious to what the Lord is showing you on this subject.

2006/5/16 1:18Profile

Re:

But he did enter and was given the boot. Based on your explanation, how is it that he got that far? I can visualize him sitting there waiting to be served the first course, can't you?

Side question: Why do you think he was speechless when informed of his error?

May I suggest you let the verses say what they say and not let the garment mean anything other than what it was, i.e., a wedding garment, a requirement for entry.

:-)rm

2006/5/16 13:59

Re:

Thanks np! May I call you that for short?

You are touching on some of what I'm given to understand that the Lord has revealed to me. I will post it after a few more get a chance to respond with their versions. I guarantee this will cause a few ripples in someones theology..

Thanks

2006/5/16 14:08
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I've been praying about something that Wesley referred to as "entire sanctification." It's discussed at length by Oswald Chambers and a host of others, but it's not practiced within most holiness denominations in the church today.

Based on my understand is that this man was never fully sanctified. Justified yes (he was at the supper) but never sanctified (never wore the right garment). He was speechless because he new he wasn't properly clothed and it was too late for sanctification.

I was a bit terrified at this and then I did a search to see what others taught on this and it's consistent with what the Holy Spirit has been showing me.

Here's what Matthew Henry said regarding this passage.

Quote:
Many are called to the wedding-feast, that is, to salvation, but few have the wedding-garment, the righteousness of Christ, the sanctification of the Spirit. Then let us examine ourselves whether we are in the faith, and seek to be approved by the King.

Here's what Adam Clarke states in this commentary on this passage
Quote:
"Now, as without holiness no man can see the Lord, we may at once perceive what our Lord means by the marriage garment-it is HOLINESS of heart and life: the text last quoted asserts that the fine, white, and clean linen (alluding to the marriage garment above mentioned) was an emblem of the RIGHTEOUSNESS of the SAINTS. "

This is a very difficult passage to absorb and I pray that you will take it to your prayer closet and lay it out before Jesus.

2006/5/16 15:56Profile

Re:

Good insight, Hab.

Consider these few insights:

#1. He wanted what went with the occasion like food, fellowship, goodies, etc., but he didn't want to submit to wearing a garment for reasons we could easily speak of when making spiritual application.

#2. The servants at the door who were handing them out did not have the authority to prevent him from entering without one, nor were they given to judging him. He wanted in alright; wanted the blessings and goodies he was told would be his upon accepting the invitation, but on his own terms. In other words he refused to take the garment believing the invitation and association with the others would be sufficient---presumption to be sure as he soon found out.

#3. By "his own terms" I see as an unwillingness to be in what he viewed as "lock step" with the others.

#4. The "wedding garment" speaks of belonging; wanting to belong --- to what degree of intimacy it provided, I can't say, and the way to intimacy is strait.

This can open up much discussion that can bring needed rectification to many. When fully seen the Bible will read excitingly different.

:-Drm

2006/5/16 20:41
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Ormly,

As I read the text, I noticed the explanation Jesus gave in v. 14: "For many are called but few are chosen." The key is to discern the meaning of "chosen" and what is implied by this word.

As I understand it, many will accept Jesus as Savior but will not allow him to be their LORD and MASTER..all they want is some fire insurance. Big difference. Obedience is not considered essential in the redemption process.

ginnyrose

2006/5/16 23:23Profile

Re:

Indeed Ginny, That's how I see it also. Our churches are full of them. By the the thousands they flock to preachers who demand nothing from them; Who speak nothing of striving to enter the kingdom; Nothing of the strait gate and how only a few will enter; Service as a substitution for being...........Frightening and sad.:-o

Preach holiness and receive rebuke and riddical for teaching "self's - effort". There is no revelation to them that Love for God, per the great commandment, is the motivation for the self to please Him, self that should be a habitation for HIS SELF, the very nature of God. See John 17 and union with Him.

Thanks,

:-Drm

2006/5/17 7:26

Re:

Quote:

Stever wrote:
Ormy posted:

"The Bible speaks of the Kingdom of God being likened to a wedding feast given by a king with everyone required to wear his wedding garment. (See Matt.22)

Question: How come this man didn't have one? "

xxxxxxxxx

Stever responds:

"You and I know that Christ is the one that gives us the garment to wear."

And we must wear it. By choice it is ours to refuse. We must choose the way of the cross now that the work of the cross is completed.

"He "puts on" His robe on those that believe in Him, and then we become righteous because of our belief in what He did for us at Calvary."

Please define the word believe. Put legs on it.

"The man in Matthew is an example of a non-believer that thinks he deserves heaven because of his own works, and therefore is denied entry."

No. I don't believe that was the case. I believe he did believe the report and accepted the FREE salvation thus gaining entrance. He may even have been a good worker after entering, showing much congeniality, could even have taught sunday school. Good man --- just don't cross him. It will then you find out who or what it is he really loves.

"In the ancient Jewish wedding, the Groom always provided the garments for guests to wear. Also, in the Blood Covenant Ritual, each of the two men participating would put their coats on the other. This would symbolize that they are putting on "their nature" onto the other. Also, they would exchange belts. The belt is what carried their weapons. This symbolized that they would each fight to the death for the other."

Yes... but a symbol to be sure of what it should have been. WE both know that symbols don't work. We each can put a mask on but God will respect masks.

WHY? He sees the heart.

"Our belief in Jesus Christ as LORD, and in his death and resurrection provides us with "HIS NATURE" that He gives to us, that he "puts on" to us. No one can enter heaven or be married to HIM and live with HIM forever without it."

Words mean something Stever. Jesus put His nature IN us (John 20.22)and then upon us (Lu.24,49-Acts 2)to win the battle over our old nature that will wage war against Him. "He who overcomes I will give to eat of the Tree of Life". That's what He said. We all know the demands of our old nature and it is only when we LEARN to hear His (still small) voice that we have the opportunity to become overcomers. When we hear His voice, His "tug", we then have a choice to make, obey or rebell. Re-read Gal.5.16-26 again in that light and remember Paul is addressing Christians, not the unconverted.

I now give it back to you.

Thanks,

2006/5/17 8:00

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy