· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : ARE YOU PRAYING FOR REVIVAL?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 ARE YOU PRAYING FOR REVIVAL?

[b]ARE YOU PRAYING FOR REVIVAL?[/b]

We have said the only hope for America and the world is revival. Our churches have so little life. Why is there no real conviction of sin? What are we doing about it?

Revival will not come by wishing, sighing, or whining?

Are you willing to respond in prayer? Are you willing to personally seek God for revival? It is time to pray!

"Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the Lord, till he come and rain righteousness upon you. (Hosea 10:12)

If you mean to break up the fallow ground of your heart, you must begin by looking closely at your own life. Examine and note the state of your walk with God. Don't play games.

Do not be in a hurry. Begin to take inventory. Write down on a sheet of paper those sins that so easily beset you from running the race.

Then seek God in prayer and believe for a cleansing. Let the Holy Spirit begin to do a work in your heart. Remember, God's voice is a "still small voice," and is not the nagging, scolding, badgering, and accusations which one receives from the devil.

Sins of Omission

1. Unthankfulness-How many blessings from God have you received which you have not thanked Him for?

2. Love for God has grown cold-Think of how you would feel if your loved ones never had any affection for you.

3 Neglect of Scriptures- Do you read the Bible daily? Is the daily newspaper, TV, and others things keeping you from reading His Word each day?

4. Unbelief- Have you charged God with not caring?

5. Neglect of prayer- Think of the times you have neglected secret prayer, family prayer, and prayer meeting?

6. Neglect of church attendance- Do you attend church faithfully?

7. Coldness in service- Have you allowed yourself to grow weary in well doing? Is your service to Christ a duty or do you serve with love?

8. Soul Burden-How compassionate are you for the lost? Do you pray daily for souls to be saved? When is the last time you witnessed to someone about Jesus?

9. Devotional life-Do you talk to God each day in prayer and meditate upon His Word?

10. Neglect of fellowship with the godly-Are you more interested in the fellowship of the world? Do TV, ball games, and activities come before church and prayer meetings?

11. Neglect of self-denial-Is the Kingdom of God more important than anything else?

Sins of Commission

1.Worldly Minded-1 John 2:15 "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

2. Pride-1 John 2:16 "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."

3. Envy-Proverbs 27:4 "Wrath is cruel, and anger is outrageous, but who is able to stand before envy?"

4. Lust-Matthew 5:28 "But I say unto you. That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

5.Judgments- Matthew 7:1-2 "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

6.Criticism- Philippians 2:14 "Do all things without murmurings and disputings."

7.Joking- Ephesians 6:4 "Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient but rather giving of thanks."

8. Lying- Colossians 3:9 "Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds."

9. Cheating- 1 Thessalonians 4:6 "That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified."

10. Hypocrisy -Luke 6:42 "Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye."

11. Robbing God- Malachi 3:8 "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."

12. Anger- Ephesians 4:31 "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice."

13. Hindering Others From Being Useful- Luke 11:52 "Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered."

14. Unforgiveness- Mark 11:26" But if ye do not forgive, neither will you Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Revival is nothing else than a new beginning of obedience to God.

The steps include:

Deep repentance,

Breaking of hardness of heart,

Humbling of self,

Forsaking of sin.

"Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?"

(Psalms 85:6)

“If Christians around the world were to suddenly renounce their personal agendas, their life goals and their aspirations, and begin responding in radical obedience to everything God showed them. the world would be turned upside down. How do we know? Because that's what first century Christians did, and the world is still talking about it.” - Henry Blackaby

2006/5/13 18:43Profile

Re: ARE YOU PRAYING FOR REVIVAL?

Quote:
Are you willing to respond in prayer? Are you willing to personally seek God for revival? It is time to pray!

I don't see the point in praying for revival anymore-- that includes personal and impersonal revival. I think what is more scriptural and important is most of those things you listed: the sins of commission & omission-- basically, just seeking God. I don't believe revival in the sense of "God moving" amongst a city/nation that has forsaken Him is biblical-- it is not taught in Scripture. What is instead taught is that once a nation turns against God in such boldness, it faces judgement and, ultimately, doom. Unless that nation repents. Which, in my estimation, is not going to happen.

But, and I know this wasn't the grunt of your post, but nonetheless-- What is the point of praying for a nation that has willingly turned their back on God? Honestly. Or, what use is it to pray yourself for revival when you are not doing anything? We must just seek God-- NOT revival. I was once trapped in "praying for revival" yet nothing changed... it only changed when I started praying for "Thy kingdom, Thy will"-- when I sought God. Those sins you listed were good (save for the "robbing God" part, which I disagree with, but that is for another discussion ;-)). And it is important that we should examine ourselves and see if there be any wicked way in us.

However, "Revival" in the sense of people coming to Christ will only happen when they want to. (E.g., Pentecost) God can't force them to repent. They have chosen their own path of iniquity. All we can do is proclaim the good news of God's reconciliation with man to them. They must choose. But praying that God would "move" amongst a people that have not yet "humbled themselves" and sought "His face"-- is pointless.

Wales experienced what they did partially because there was already a sense of reverence for God that is completely amiss in our society-- iniquity did not abound in the manner that it does here. In America, to preach against or condemn sodomy, is a "hate crime." Abortion is the "norm." Adultery isn't bad, etc. (If you don't believe me concerning Wales, just listen to the one testimony on here of the guy that witnessed the Welsh Revival-- it came to a nation that had already God's favour.)

Jordan

2006/5/13 19:06
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
I don't see the point in praying for revival anymore... What is instead taught is that once a nation turns against God in such boldness, it faces judgement and, ultimately, doom. Unless that nation repents. Which, in my estimation, is not going to happen.

A self-fulfilling prophecy.

In Christ,

Ron

If you will here stop and ask yourselves why you are not as pious as the primitive Christians were, your own heart will tell you, that it is neither through ignorance nor inability, but purely because you never thoroughly intended it.
― William Law

2006/5/13 21:09Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Revival

Quote:
I don't believe revival in the sense of "God moving" amongst a city/nation that has forsaken Him is biblical-- it is not taught in Scripture. What is instead taught is that once a nation turns against God in such boldness, it faces judgement and, ultimately, doom. Unless that nation repents. Which, in my estimation, is not going to happen.

Hi jordanamo,

There is a couple of links within this thread that might give you a different perspective on revival in general;

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=10524&forum=16&post_id=&refresh=Go]FEATURED SERMON: "Seek My Face" by Richard Owen Roberts[/url]

[i]For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us...[/i] 1Pe 4:17

[i]Here I found the benefit of a principle which I invariably adopt, of never pressing upon any human being my sentiments or wishes, without an absolute necessity. If a friend be reduced to the necessity of refusing or complying, he will feel grieved: but if, though with pain to himself, he do anything without being importuned, he has a sweet feeling of love excited by that very act; or, it he refrain from doing what you wish, he feels a love to you for not pressing him against his will.[/i] ~ Charles Simeon

2006/5/13 23:06Profile
bigd3862

Re:

Since when is revival an act of men? Yes we pray, and God can respond. But what is it that will bring real revival? An outpouring of the Holy Spirit?

Revival is not a function of a nation. That is the most unscriptural idea I have ever heard. The single greatest revival in the bible took place in a completely pagan city called Ninevah. It happend in response to God prophetic message of his judgement, in spite of the prophets protest.

To define revival, it must be said that it is not just a recommitment to God but an act of mercy from God himself in respone to real repentance and prayer.

Our problem is that we think that revival will take place with us in our current state. Without trivail, without pain, without sacrifice and especially without prayer. No revival in recorded history came without any of these. Unless the church, like the barren women of the OT, cries out to God without ceasing, this topic is a waste of time.

As Ravenhill said, "Unless the church is willing to say, like Rebecca, "Give me children lest I die"; Unless we are willing to say give me revival or give me death, nothing will change".

We want fast food, convenience store, microwave, instant gratification revival. As a result, we have no concept of the endurance in prayer necessary nor are we willing to wait for the "latter rain".

One last thought; Jesus was unable to do many miracles in His own home town. You know why? Because of their unbelief. NOTE: unbelief is not having little or insufficient faith. Unbelief is chosing to believe a lie instead of the truth.

2006/5/14 2:12Profile
roadsign

Re: There has been a lot of praying going on

Quote:
As Ravenhill said, "Unless the church is willing to say, like Rebecca, "Give me children lest I die".

This was actually Rachel's cry to her husband Jacob. She saw that here sister was having children and she wasn't. Her cry (Gen. 29:30) rose out of unbelief, impatience, and shame (of barrenness) - She was putting pressure on her husband - yet it was God who had shut her womb.

Quote:
Our problem is that we think that revival will take place with us in our current state. Without trivail, without pain, without sacrifice and especially without prayer.

There has been a lot of revival praying over the past years. Some years ago I surfed the net and was amazed at the amount of prayer - including fasting and 24 hour "coverage". I have been involved in regular prayer meetings for revival. With the amount of prayer that has been happening we should have seen revival several times over. I suspect that a lot of prayers are one-directional - there is no awareness of what God is saying to the pray-er. May we learn to hear what God is saying to us, not just what we are saying to God.

Isaiah, has an explanation for unanswered prayers and also a solution. Let us listen:

Isaiah 58
2 For day after day they seek me out;
they seem eager to know my ways,
as if they were a nation that does what is right
and has not forsaken the commands of its God.
They ask me for just decisions
and seem eager for God to come near them.

3 'Why have we fasted,' they say,
'and you have not seen it?
Why have we humbled ourselves,
and you have not noticed?'
"Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please
and exploit all your workers.

4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
and expect your voice to be heard on high.

5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for a man to humble himself?
Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed
and for lying on sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the LORD ?

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness [a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
"If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,

10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

We can beg God all we want for revival, but God is pointing a finger at us and calling us to our own responsibilities. Prayer can't replace that. I think Jordan is trying to get that across:
Quote:
What is the point of praying for a nation that has willingly turned their back on God? Honestly. Or, what use is it to pray yourself for revival when you are not doing anything? We must just seek God-- NOT revival.

In other words, unless we are willing to lay ourselves on the altar and submit ourselves to God our prayers are just hot wind.

Note in Isaiah 57 the use of the word "revive": It is applied to the contrite:

13 When you cry out for help,
let your collection of idols save you!
The wind will carry all of them off,
a mere breath will blow them away.
But the man who makes me his refuge
will inherit the land
and possess my holy mountain."

14 And it will be said:
"Build up, build up, prepare the road!
Remove the obstacles out of the way of my people."

15 For this is what the high and lofty One says
he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
"I live in a high and holy place,
but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
and to revive the heart of the contrite.

REVIVE (taken from Strong's): live again, flourish again, give life, nourish up, preserve, quicken, recover, repair, restore, save, be whole

Diane

2006/5/14 6:43Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Gods Glory

Finding a great deal of this very grievous and perhaps for a number of different reasons. Some of it likely due to emphasis and definition, some of it even to a suspicion that revival is something of a self seeking enterprise for blessing of our selves. I would challenge anyone reading these things to give an ear to [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=279]Richard Owen Roberts[/url] before going too much further with an opinion on the matter. Listen to a wise man who has given his life to understanding this subject. I believe one will have a different outlook on the whole matter and may be quite surprised to find that his discourses actually have less talk of the term revival and much more about God's glory and Holiness just as well our low level of concern for these things.

[i]When one reads the accounts of the First and Second Great Awakenings, however, the records indisputably show that those revivals were not secured through unusual efforts, proper organization or rightly ordered meetings. Those who were instrumentally involved did not use special means to promote what happened. Pastors simply continued in the work to which they had been divinely called, preaching earnestly and faithfully the full counsel of God, dependent upon Him in prayer and supplication. When revival occurred, these same men were preaching the same messages with the same desires, but with vastly different consequences. At such times, they often commented that what happened was a sudden and unexpected blessing.

Therefore, what characterizes revival is not the unusual means we might employ, but rather the "extraordinary" degree of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the normal means that God has given to the church. Revival is a work of God, a divine visitation, a gracious manifestation of God's glory. Jeremiah Hallock, a leader in Connecticut during the Second Great Awakening, is quoted in Porter's Letters on Revival: "As means did not begin this work of themselves, so neither did they carry it on. But as this was the work of the Omnipotent Spirit, so the effects produced proclaimed its sovereign, divine author".

Consequently, as the leaders in the First and Second Great Awakenings wrote and spoke of the great effusions of the Spirit during special seasons in their ministry, they did not disparage the reality of His normal and regular work in the church. They did not believe or promote the idea that true Christianity can only occur when there are revivals, or that without revival, all labor is futile. These leaders saw the duties of labor, prayer and evangelism to be constant in their ministry, and knew no biblical reason to be cast down by the ordinary. They had prominently before them, however, the possibility of revival, and affirmed that there are times when God is pleased to give the operation of His Spirit in extraordinary measure, and this may occur even when the church is in a low spiritual state.

This principle is illustrated and stated in the Scriptures. The earnest labors of Isaiah, Jeremiah and hosts of other faithful prophets and preachers of the Word did not produce immediate, extraordinary results, yet no one would dare say that their work was of no value. We must also remember the reassuring words of Jesus to His disciples in John 4:37-38: "One sows, and another reaps. I have sent you to reap that for which you have not labored..." Likewise, the Apostle Paul understood this principle, reminding the leaders at Corinth that "one plants, another waters, but God gives the increase" (I Cor. 3:6). May the Holy Scripture's assertion in Psalm 115:1-3 be a continuous source of comfort and strength:

"Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to Thy name give glory because of Thy loving kindness, because of Thy truth. Why should the nations say, where, now, is their God? But our God is in the heavens; He does whatever he pleases." Be encouraged in what God has called you to do! Be faithful to the normal means sovereignly given and do not think that you can improve them! Hope in God, and may we persistently ask Him to show us much favor and be pleased to pour out his extraordinary blessing again just as He has so many times before. [/i]

John Sale

[i]Here I found the benefit of a principle which I invariably adopt, of never pressing upon any human being my sentiments or wishes, without an absolute necessity. If a friend be reduced to the necessity of refusing or complying, he will feel grieved: but if, though with pain to himself, he do anything without being importuned, he has a sweet feeling of love excited by that very act; or, it he refrain from doing what you wish, he feels a love to you for not pressing him against his will.[/i] ~ Charles Simeon

2006/5/14 9:32Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: There has been a lot of praying going on

Hi everyone.

Diane, I think these are some strong points for us to consider.

Concerning

Quote:
our own responsibilities

While there is much we could choose to single out for discussion, I have been thinking in particular about the obedience of generosity, specifically our 'liberality' towards the impoverished brethren of the two-thirds world.

I wonder about this and consider how must God view our pleas for His visitation. How does He view our cries to see His glory and power from [b]where we are? [/b]

I ask this amongst the following facts as I understand them to be:

that we in the west enjoy the highest standard of living human beings on this planet have ever known.

that the average westerner has more opportunity and recieves more invitations to partake of the blessedness of the Gospel of Christ than any people have in the history of mankind.

that two-thirds of the world's population lives in comparative desitution and poverty and [b]multitudes of THEM have never heard the name of Jesus even once[/b]

How then does God view our cries? What is His reply? I will not pretend to speak for Him concering this. A passage from His word does come to mind however:

Quote:
For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened: But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality:

And what rings over and again are these words

[b]that there may be equality[/b]

Could it be that the way in which America and the west shall see revival is to release from her tightly clenched hands the means which are depriving it from a starving world in the [b]fullest measure possible[/b]?

Love never fails.

2006/5/14 10:03Profile
roadsign

Re: Robert Owen Roberts

Quote:
I would challenge anyone reading these things to give an ear to Richard Owen Roberts before going too much further with an opinion on the matter.

You got me going, Mike. I surfed the web for info about this man, and found the following comment on one site:
Robert's own personal library on revival is one of the largest in the country, and that he also helped build Wheaton's revival collection into the thousands of volumes. Mr. Roberts is known throughout the United Kingdom and the United States for his work in historic revival.
So now I will step aside and learn from this man. I am quickly discovering that he is a powerful preacher and writer - filled with Spirit and wisdom - an excellent source of knowledge on revival - and an inspiration for prayer.
Diane

2006/5/14 19:15Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: ROR

Hi Diane

Wonderful!

Having listened to the messages mentioned earlier have gone on to download the remaining and am just... You summed it up well;

Quote:
So now I will step aside and learn from this man. I am quickly discovering that he is a powerful preacher and writer - filled with Spirit and wisdom - an excellent source of knowledge on revival - and an inspiration for prayer.

A dear brother here sent me a couple of tapes some time ago and I was just taken back with his understanding and manner. For others peering in there is also a number of videos available here;
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=279]Richard Owen Roberts[/url]

2006/5/14 19:40Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy