Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dreams and the Spirit-led life

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Dreams and the Spirit-led life

Removing to another place, I came among a people that relied much on dreams. I told them, except they could distinguish between dream and dream, they would confound all together; for there were three sorts of dreams; multitude of business sometimes caused dreams, and there were whisperings of Satan in man in the night season; and there were speakings of God to man in dreams. But these people came out of these things, and at last became Friends.
-[i]Excerpt from the 'Autobiography of George Fox'[/i]

Personally for me I don't really have dreams that much at all. And if I do it's because I have over slept in most cases. I have had a few dreams in my Christian walk where I know it was God trying to say something to me. But also on the otherside I have been tormented in my dreams a few times with awful images and thoughts from Satan. I truly know and believe that God uses dreams as He does everything else to speak to His Saints. It's something that is very important and useful for direction, enouragement and also vision (propechy).

[b]Daniel 7:1 (niv)[/b] - In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon, Daniel had a dream, and visions passed through his mind as he was lying on his bed. He wrote down the substance of his dream.

But as I always maintain there is always a 'more sure word' given by God, the scriptures. We can sometimes have a hard time knowing whether our thoughts or visions are from God so to be able to rely on His Word the Scriptures is our foundation.

[b]2 Peter 1:19 (niv)[/b] - And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

2004/1/5 14:32Profile
moreofHim

Re: Dreams and the Spirit-led life

Oh goodness! I'm not into debating. All I can say is that is the way the Lord has spoken to me for about two years now- my 14 yr. old daughter also. Sometimes they are in tandem. This is coming from someone who does not even have the gift of speaking in tongues- so I'm not into having this gift or that.

I know that there are many who are skeptical- and that's ok. The dreams are mainly for myself (correction, warning) anyway- only sometimes about others. I have no idea why I have them but I DO Know the difference betwenn having one that means something- and just having too much pizza the night before.

I could never debate this- I only know what the Lord gives me and that is that. Here is just an example of something He gave me a few months ago and I wrote an article about it:

~Lawful but not Beneficial~

Do you have something in your life that is lawful but not beneficial- "legal" but not morally or spiritually advantageous for you personally?

Some of you know my background with fitness. For almost two years now I've been led to stay home from the gym and exercise at home. Once, I tried going back to the gym to "test the waters" and see if it was the right thing for me to do. I was led not to go.

About a month ago, I decided it was time to try again. I thought (in my own good judgement, ha ha) that I could be a light to others there, etc... I went, thinking that if I wasn't supposed to go, that the Lord would give me a dream. He usually gives me a dream if I am doing something that isn't pleasing to Him.

For two weeks- no dreams about it. I was feeling good and more comfortable going back, getting into a routine. My oldest daughter was at home watching my other two children, and I was only going three days a week.

Finally, after two weeks the Lord gave me a dream. Before I tell you the dream, let me first tell you that when I was 17 and 18 years old I had a fake I.D. Yes, that was me back then. I used to use it to buy beer or alcohol while underage. I will never forget that feeling of being so nervous and paranoid standing in line waiting to pay, knowing that I had a fake I.D. It was a terrible feeling of not knowing if I was going to get caught- but , worth it at the time (so I thought.)

Now the dream: I was standing in line at that same liquor store waiting to buy some type of alcohol. I just remember feeling relieved because I was "legal" now and didn't have to be nervous or paranoid that I might get caught. I kept saying to myself as I was standing in line, "Wow, I can actually buy this stuff now and it's legal."

I knew my husband was out of town in the dream, and that just my oldest daughter was at home. I was planning a night out. The next part of the dream, I was somewhere sitting on the floor talking/ socializing with a couple of guys. All of a sudden I knew the time was really late and I needed to get home- but I didn't really want to leave because I was having such a good time. No pressures of home, kids, etc... Before I left I remember talking to a couple of ladies about fitness training. When I got home my husband was waiting there and I had to explain why I had left my daughter alone so long. End of dream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I looked back on the dream I realized that I was so happy and relieved that it was now legal for me to be buying the liqour- but the fact was that it was still morally wrong and not beneficial for me to do so. The same with going out for the evening(without my husband). I am a grown woman and am able to run my own life- but what I was doing was not right for me in the sight of the Lord. I was trying to get away with things because I felt it was "legal" or legitimate. There is no law against it.

So it was with going to the gym. The Lord was trying to tell me, "Chanin, I'm not going to tell you it's not legal- there is no law or rule that says you cannot go. But it's not morally or spiritually beneficial for you, for your family, and maybe for others around you. I knew this was true and because I work out in the free weight area at the gym (where mostly men work out) I was around alot of other men. I did not interact with many but it is not good to tempt others or cause them to stumble, even because of our own freedom.

Paul says "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own, but each one the other's well being." 1Cor.10:23-24 ...whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense... just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved." 1Cor.10:31-33

Are there things that we're doing that seem "legal", but in the Lord's eyes are not beneficial for us or for others around us? Maybe what we're doing makes not only us stumble but makes others stumble. There is no rule or law against many things but the Lord knows best. I am so humbly grateful for His guidance.

2004/1/5 14:58Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Oh goodness! I'm not into debating.

me either :-D

Quote:
I could never debate this- I only know what the Lord gives me and that is that.

After reading your testimony I agree its from the Lord, It's great to be sensitive to His leading and guidance. There is great joy in obedience what a wonderful place to be in.

-----------
EDIT: If you are intrested Chanin I just posted another experience that I think might be similar to your fitness experience (well at least you could relate abit to me). [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=911&post_id=5824&order=0&viewmode=flat&pid=5459&forum=44#5824]Basketball Experience[/url]

Whenever I play basketball now which is quite seldom, usually once a week, its my time to get excercise and also use a gift I had to be a witness to unbelievers. But I couldn't see myself going everyday to play, I feel the Lord has given me freedom to do this and I have a responsiblity because of it.
-----

I would be intrested in finding out more about dreams in the bible and other peoples experiences with dreams.

2004/1/5 15:08Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: a few Oswald Chambers' insights.

This is not a debating point, just something I thought might interest...

many folks are familiar with this KJV verse: Psalms 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.

The ASV has an alternative marginal translation: Psalms 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early, To take rest late, To eat the bread of toil; For so he giveth unto his beloved sleep. {Or in sleep}

Oh, the secret treasures that He gives to His beloved ones in sleep

"I wonder if we have ever considered the Bible implications about sleep? It is not true to say that sleep is simply meant for physical recuperation; surely much less time than God has ordered would have served that purpose. The ASV suggests a deeper, profounder ministry for sleep than mere physical recuperation. The deepest concerns of our souls, whether they be good or bad, are furthered during sleep. It is not merely a physical fact that you go to bed perplexed and wake clear-minded; God has been ministering to you during sleep. Sometimes God cannot get at us until we are asleep. In the Bible there are times when in the deep slumber of the body God has taken the souls of his servants into deeper communion with Himself [Gen 2:21 15:12] Often when a problem or perplexity harasses the mind and there seems no solution, after a night's rest you find the solution easy, and the problem has no further perplexity. Sleep is God's celestial nurse who croons away our consciousness, and God deals with the unconscious life of the soul in places where only He and His angels have charge. As you retire to rest, give your soul and God a time together, and commit your life to God with a conscious peace for the hours of sleep, and deep and profound developments will go on in spirit, soul and body by the kind creating hand of our God" Oswald Chambers: The Highest Good.

2004/1/5 15:34Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Philologos,

thanks for posting that. I have read ALOT of Oswald Chambers but never come across that. Comforting to me in a way.

I have only had "Lord given" dreams since my brokenness, surrender period. I really believe that He gave them to me to convict me in certain things. He tested me to see what i would do about them- would I obey. I hopefully have proved that I "fear" Him in this and I believe that is why I have continued to dream.

I cannot imagine a person having God given dreams under unsurrendered circumstances. This could be dangerous.

I know quite a few in the prophetic community who have dreams or interpret them. I am always amazed/dissapointed at their interpretations. They usually want them to relate to some specific purpose (of their own purposes or wishing).

When I have a dream- even if it isn't about me and about someone else- I always check MY heart first. Maybe this is about me, am I guilty of this myself.

Long ago, I made a decision to never be a hypocrite. The Lord hates a hypocrite. I will never convict someone or preach/teach to someone anything that I have not first done myself.

I also pray that I will never be deceived- nor ever deceive anyone. I would rather have my mouth shut forever. The Lord knows this.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't be this far along without them. I would have given into some sin that would have kept me back. Even if it's just about getting a new car (should I or shouldn't I) or I am stuck with trying to explain how strongholds get imbedded in the first place. He answers me many times with a dream.

It also goes in waves. I'll have two weeks where I have them every other night. Then a couple of weeks and no dreams at all.

I can say that the more time goes by, the more I understand what He was trying to say. I get frustrated sometimes because I want to know the full meaning right away. I have to be patient and let Him confirm things to me.

I'll try to relate a few more as time goes by. It really is very miraculous when I look back at it all now. Arielle and I always say that He must love us an awful lot to be so concerned with these details in our life. He is taking His time, molding and shaping even the little things ("perfecting" us, I like to call it.)

2004/1/5 18:10Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:Stop counting sheep, just talk to the Shepherd

Here is a lovely old hymn from Charles Wesley.

1 How do Thy mercies close me round!
For ever be Thy name adored!
I blush in all things to abound;
The servant is above his Lord.

2 Inured to poverty and pain.
A suffering life my Master led;
The Son of God, the Son of Man,
He had not where to lay His head.

3 But, lo! A place He hath prepared
For me, whom watchful angels keep;
Nay, He Himself becomes my Guard,
He smoothes my bed, and gives me sleep.

4 Jesus protects; my fears, be gone!
What can the Rock of Ages move?
Safe in Thy arms I lay me down,
Thy everlasting arms of love!

5 While Thou are intimately nigh,
Who, who shall violate my rest?
Sin, earth and hell I now defy;
I lean upon my Saviour’s breast.

6 I rest beneath the Almighty’s shade;
My griefs expire, my troubles cease;
Thou, Lord, on whom my soul is stayed,
Wilt keep me still in perfect peace.

7 Me for Thine own Thou lov’st to take
In time and in eternity;
Thou never, never wilt forsake
A helpless worm that trusts in Thee.

we sing it to the tune Saxby

2004/1/6 7:03Profile
rookie

Re:

"For God may speak in one way, or in another. Yet man does not perceive it. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls upon men, while slumbering on their beds, then He opens the ears of men, and seals their instructions, in order to turn man from his deed, and conceal pride from man, He keeps back his soul from the Pit, and his life from perishing by the sword." Job 33:14-18

I do not have dreams often. About 3 years ago, I had a dream which drives my life today. I found myself in the midst of a crowd. I looked up towards heaven and I began to move above the crowd. When I saw what was happening, I looked down to the crowd. I began to descend down toward the crowd. The crowd had their arms raised up in a fashion as if they where trying to keep me on the ground in their midst. I immediately was stricken with fear, and I looked up to heaven once more. This time as my body began to rise up, a white robe instantly covered me. Then my rising accelerated without end. At that moment I experienced physically that I was actually rising. This feeling was similar to one that we might have in a fast elevator or amusement ride. This is the point where I woke from my sleep.

This dream has continually taught me to look to my Savior and not to men for the substance of my hope.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/1/13 15:50Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
This dream has continually taught me to look to my Savior and not to men for the substance of my hope.

That's awesome Jeff, thanks for sharing. 8-)

2004/1/13 16:25Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Thanks Jeff,

that dream is unforgettable, I'm sure.

So glad that I'm not the only one around here. :-)

~Chanin

2004/1/13 16:55Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy