SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Soaking the Soaked - 2 Kings 7:9

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Soaking the Soaked - 2 Kings 7:9

Soaking the Soaked - 2 Kings 7:9

A city I visited missed a hurricane that hit nearby, but we did get two days of the wet weather leftovers. We got off easy, but the rain really soaked us. One morning, while it was pouring, I drove by a bank, and I saw something that made me laugh. The sprinklers came on right on schedule. :-?They were doing a beautiful job of watering the lawn, which really didn't need any more water.:-o

Our word for today from the Word of God comes from the book of 2 Kings, which a curious story that's recorded in the seventh chapter. The capital city of Samaria is under siege, and there is a Syrian army that has cut off all food. The city is literally starving to death. There are desperate conditions in the city, as people are even resorting to cannibalism to stay alive. Now, there are four lepers who live outside the city, and they decide since they're already going to die, they might as well surrender to the other army. They hope maybe they'll be taken as prisoners of war and be fed.

When they get there, God has performed a miracle. The camp has been emptied out, and they find food and empty tents left there for them. They stuff themselves all night long, and then there is verse 9. "They said to each other, 'We are not doing right.'" It's about time they figured that out. "'This is a day of good news, and we are keeping it to ourselves. If we wait until daylight, punishment will overtake us. Let's go at once and report this.'" What a scene. These four men are sitting on this pile of food, while multitudes are starving.

This reminds me of those sprinklers on that rainy day when water wasn't really needed. A Christian family from the former Soviet Union said to a team that my daughter was once on, [b]"The problem with American Christians is that you are over feeded." [/b]

Well, he's right. We are very blessed. We are soaked with blessings that no Christians have ever had before. We have Christian everything. We've got Christian radio, Christian TV, rallies, conferences, trips, concerts, seminars, but it's almost all for us. We are already stuffed, but we line up for another helping of blessing. We're already soaked, but we turn on the sprinklers for more showers of blessing. Something is wrong here.:-(

Let's not forget where our Master's heart is. He said, "I have come to seek and to save not that which was found, but that which is lost." He talks about a harvest where "the harvest is plentiful, but I can't find laborers to go get the harvest." A self-focused church, a self-focused Christian is not the will of God. We follow a Savior who left the safety of heaven, who lived among the lost, and who laid down His life to bring them home to God; to bring us home to God.

He can't be very happy with us when we just keep focusing on going to our Christian meetings, our committee meetings and our conferences, and our concerts. We listen to our Christian speakers and songs; we stay busy with our Christian schedule. Meanwhile, the spiritually destitute people are starving to death all around us just like those people back in the story of the four lepers. This is the day of Good News. We cannot hold our peace. We have to go and report what we have found in Jesus Christ. He saved our life. How can we let them die without the knowledge of the One who could save them?

Like our Master, we need to live our lives for the lost people that He gave His life for. There are plenty of lives even around you that get no spiritual rain. Let's not aim our sprinklers at the already soaked. Let's take them to the places - to the lives - where it never rains.

Copyright (c) 2006, Ron Hutchcraft. Permission to distribute this material via email, or individual copies, is automatically granted on the condition it will be used for non-commercial purposes, and will not be sold. To reproduce "A Word With You" transcripts in any other format, including Internet websites, written permission is needed from Ron Hutchcraft.

2006/5/12 8:58Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy