SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Baptized with the Holy Ghost with the Bible evidence (utterance in tongues)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Baptized with the Holy Ghost with the Bible evidence (utterance in tongues)

linda,

I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost and fire about one year ago. I still study what happened against Scripture, and those who are knowledgeable on the subject (Wigglesworth, Ravenhill, Rice, Moody, Torrey, etc).

I did not speak in tongues. Though I did pray for tongues as I was lead to seek the experience by others. Swallowing my pride here, I even tried to speak with tongues after reading a book called, 'Receiving the Holy Spirit Today.' I knew it was not a gift from God, but a reaction to reading a book that told me what to do. This is not an attack on anyone, I am just telling the truth.

I then heard the likes of Duncan Campbell, Moody, Evan Roberts and others, who received the Holy Spirit in fullness, without tongues.

I am now studying how to live in victory. There seems to be, according to Paris Reidhead, Duncan Campbell and others, those who are filled with the Holy Ghost, that do not realize His power. So while I did have that experience, I am by no means finished seeking God, as I feel there is some great next step that I must take.

Hope this answers your question. I will come back and read the other posts when I have time.

2006/5/10 10:19Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I just read through the posts.

I have read both sides of the tongues debate. John R Rice's 'The Charismatic Movement' seems to be the most doctrinally on mark. He is not a cessationist (those that believe there are no spiritual gifts for today), but does present a very strong evidence for tongues being earthly languages.

However, I haven't accepted this view in full. But the only thing that keeps me from accepting the 'earthly language' view are the testimonies and statements from my brothers and sisters in Christ who claim to speak an unknown language.

A) So if tongues are heavenly, those who don't speak them wouldn't know for sure what to think. This may be the case. (I don't buy into the view that everyone should speak in tongues one bit).

B) If tongues are earthly languages, then there are many sincere Christians who have gotten on a bandwagon.

I haven't taken a side on this, and I don't know if I ever will. I will just ask the Spirit to guide me in all truth.

That story about the 'interpretation' of the Hebrew is right on mark, though. If tongues are a heavenly language, or earthly, I believe there are a HUGE amount of people who are faking it. When I read a 'how to' on tongues, and it told me just to lean my head back and begin to utter something, (I say this in love) that is not biblical. Nothing of brokenness, repentance, surrender to God, and the like.

However I hear a a lot of harshness towards the Pentacostals, Charismatics and the like that is unnecessary (not under this particular topic, but in life in general). If someone is saved they are our brother or sister. Anyone who refuses to fellowship with a born-again believer over a minor doctrine is in error. As long as they live holy we are to be "one."

Phil 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

2006/5/10 11:30Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
No where in scripture are we encouraged to pray in the "tongues of angels".

I should have quoted the part I was addressing sorry. I guess if you make a distinction of the tongues of angels as opposed to unknown tongues that may be true.

2006/5/10 11:53Profile
linda7

West Sussex, England

Re: Baptism in the Holy Ghost and fire

Hi letsgetbusy,

Thank you for addressing my question. The thing that I am eager to know is, how do you know that you have been Baptized in the Holy Ghost?

2006/5/10 12:56Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I know that I was baptized with the Holy Ghost the same way I know I was saved. It was like being in the very breath of God.

I checked my experience against Scripture, and against all the giants of the faith that claimed the experience. I did not even believe the experience was possible and tangible. I just hit a wall in my ministry, knew there was something more, a began praying for the fire of heaven after I heard Leonard Ravenhill preach on Luke 3:16.

There were events leading up to the baptism that were sort of like birth pangs. Being moved to tears at church, starting to feel very broken during prayer, having Scripture passages open up, etc.

So I was broken, and seeking the fire of God. The most significant idea that I remember dawning on me just before it happened, was that I need to pray for my own uncleanness, rather than for God to move on others. I needed to have the live coal placed on my lips before I could intercede properly for others.

I will quote Finney's experience, because this is EXACTLY the way it happened to me, as far as the details of what it felt like, etc:

“…But as I turned and was about to take a seat by the fire, I received a mighty baptism of the Holy Ghost. Without any expectation of it, without ever having the thought in my mind that there was any such thing for me, without any recollection that I had ever heard the thing mentioned by any person in the world, the Holy Spirit descended upon me in a manner that seemed to go through me, body and soul. I could feel the impression, like a wave of electricity, going through and through me. Indeed it seemed to come in waves and waves of liquid love; for I could not express it in any other way. It seemed like the very breath of God. I can recollect distinctly that it seemed to fan me like immense wings.”

“No words can express the wonderful love that was shed abroad in my heart. I wept aloud with joy and love; and I do not know but I should say, I literally bellowed out the unutterable gushings of my heart. These waves came over me and over me, one after the other, until I recollect I cried out, “I shall die if these waves continue to pass over me.” I said, “Lord I cannot bear any more;” yet I had no fear of death.”

-Charles Finney’s Autobiography, pp. 20-21

It felt exactly like that. Like electrical waves going throught my body. Like the pressure in my veins was tripled. Like being in a spiritual wind tunnel filled with fire. Like being next to a nuclear explosion. I screamed so loud, just these words, but was hoarse after words nonetheless, "GLORY TO GOD!!! REVIVAL IS ON!!! GLORY TO GOD!!!" After the waves passed over me, I slumped in my truck, weeping uncontrollably like I don't ever remember doing so.

After the experience, I felt that God showed me the grimness of this world. I honestly couldn't tell if God was opening me up to demonic attack, or He was showing me my own state in truth, or what. The feeling of brokenness continued for about 10 days. During this time I read about 8 chapters of Scripture a day, and some nights I would have to make myself stop reading. I wanted to pray all the time. I would often crawl into my office to pray. Sometimes in honestly felt like if I opened my eyes I would see Christ. When I prayed with our prayer group at church I would just sob like a baby for revival and the lost to be saved.

This state continued until I read the account of Jesus from Matthew 3 and 4. I noticed after Jesus was baptized with Holy Ghost he was lead of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by Satan. After Satan's first attack, Jesus said the words that brought a flood of tears:

'Man should not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.'

The only way I can explain this was that God was saying that my spiritual condition may ebb and flow, crest and trough, but His Word was the only way to understand how to draw near to Him.

My doubts as to the validity of the experience were no different than my doubts about when I was saved. The more I read the Word, and the men and women of God that shook the world, the more convinced I become. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough.

Here are some accounts and words on the subject:

http://www.dyingthief.com/The_Holy_Ghost_and_the_Revival_He_Brings.doc

2006/5/10 20:56Profile

Re:

Quote:

linda7 wrote:
Hi letsgetbusy,

Thank you for addressing my question. The thing that I am eager to know is, how do you know that you have been Baptized in the Holy Ghost?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stever's response:

The first thing that happened to me,as well as my wife, is that we immediately spoke in an unkown tongue. Soon after that God's Word came alive for both of us.

I had been praying for over 2 years that my wife would get into God's Word, but she never did. Every time she got in my car she wanted Christian radio off and the Oldies but Goodies on. Everytime I got into her car, the dial was always turned to the Oldies. After her Baptism in the Holy Ghost God's Word came alive to her. She is still involved with two separate Bible Studies each week. She also reads and studies her Bible each and every day. Also, she never listens to the Oldies anymore, either.

Both of us now find ourselves compelled to witness to others that the Holy Spirit puts in our path.

Our lives have been changed by this Baptism. We are both on fire for the Lord, and for His Word, and for His will in our lives.

God bless,

Stever

2006/5/10 22:59
linda7

West Sussex, England

Re: Baptism in the Holy Ghost and Fire

Letsgetbusy

Quote:
...knew there was something more....

I cannot thank you enough for your account of the Baptism. Just lately God has set me aside like never before. I don't know what is going on. My only desire seems to be for Him. He has been showing me my uncleanness. About a week ago I decided to set most of my time aside to seek His face. I really don't have the words to say what is happening but I am ready to receive all that He has to give. I am not going to post again until I have this Baptism.

God Bless You

Linda

2006/5/11 15:23Profile
linda7

West Sussex, England

Re: The Baptism in the Holy Ghost and Fire

Stever

Thank you, you have helped so so much.
I am out to seek and receive this Baptism now.

God Bless You.

Linda

2006/5/11 15:27Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Glory to God! Let us know if the fire falls.

2006/5/11 22:21Profile

Re:

Hi Linda: I just wanted to provide you with more information about the wonderful thing that you are about to ask for and receive--the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

My wife and I both received this baptism on the same evening, on 6/4/1999 at the home of our friends. Jerry had the most wonderful walk with the Lord. What he had is what I wanted.

All those things that I described in my previous post were true on the night of 6/4/1999. We had originally planned to have a Bible Study that night at Jerry & Audrey's home, however that morning I talked to Jerry and told him that I would like to receive the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. His response was- come in expectation of receiving it.

My wife sat on the floor, in front of the couch, and I sat in a chair. Jerry asked me if I had prayed to receive this Baptism of fire, and I said yes. He came over to where I was sitting, anointed my head with oil, and layed hands on me and prayed that I would receive this Baptism of Fire and Power, and that I would immediately speak in tongues.

I could not speak in tongues. I was frozen, and couldn't get past this point. He then asked me if I had ever been critical or negative of this spiritual gift from God in the past. I then remembered that many years ago, while I was in College, I had written a paper in one of my Psychology classes about the total gibberish that tongues consisted of. It went hand in hand with an article that had appeared in Psychology today, on the Front Cover (probably in 1973-1974).

He then took authority over "whatever negative spirit or force" that was blocking me from receiving this Baptism, and from receiving this gift of tongues, and bound it ---in the name of Jesus Christ, and I immediately started speaking in tongues, and crying, and praising the Lord.

Jerry turned to my wife, and looking down at her said, would you like to receive this Baptism? I could not believe it--she got up, and said----yes. I gave her my seat and he led her into the Baptism of the Holy Ghost in the same way he led me. However, she had no problem with speaking in tongues.

I hope this helps you, as well as Letsgetbusy, and anyone else who God has put it on their hearts to receive this Baptism of Fire, this Baptism of power.

God bless,

Stever :-)

2006/5/12 0:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy