Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Preachers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Onesimus4God

Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico

Great Preachers

Shalom everyone,
I don't keep it a secret that I love the blessings given to us by A.W. Tozer. I have this daily devotional called "Tozer on Christian Leadership" if you don't have a copy, you would do well to get one. It blesses me every single day. It also challenges me.
Today was so powerful I wanted to share it with you.

GREAT PREACHERS

I'm against the idea of putting "big preachers" on tape and playing them back to the congregations that feel they are being starved by listening to "little preachers".

Fallacy, brethren----------a thousand times, fallacy!

If we could have the Apostle Paul on tape recordings and let him stand here and preach, he could do no more for you than the Holy Ghost can do, with The Book and the human conscience......

Oh, brethren, I would not detract from God's great men, but I can safely say that that's not what the church needs.

The church needs to listen to the inner voice and do something about it! - A.W.Tozer

1 Cor 2:12

Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the spirit of God which is of God, that we might know the things of God that are freely given to us of God.

Well, amen and amen.

Lahry

2006/5/6 10:40Profile
Stan53

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Great Preachers

I have just read this and I say AMEN a thousand times AMEN and then some. Some time ago I ditched daily devotional books as such. It is a far better thing to do to read a small potion of the Bible each day and then think on it and allow God by His Holy Spirit to speak to us.
We are to reliant on "preacher" for our spiritual food in stead of going to the Source of the spiritual food.

2006/5/10 2:29Profile
Josiah777

Sterling, VA

Re:

Stan,

I think you missed something there..."O" was saying how this Tozer daily devotional blesses him every day ;-)

I have benefited both ways...sometimes I find certain authors, books, devotionals, commentaries, etc. a great help. The Bible is THE book; these are just "condiments" to assist me enjoy the Lord better. And then I have seasons where I don't use them much or hardly at all, just being in the Scriptures alone, as you said. The danger of the former is that I have not come to Jesus as the Source (like you mentioned). On the other hand, I have been greatly enriched in my relationship with Christ through the writings of others, as they have clearly presented truths the Holy Spirit showed them that I had not seen in my own studies. God sees to it that we can never get away from being dependent upon other members of the Lord's body.

May the Holy Spirit come down upon us like the dew each morning, and when He lifts, all we see is our daily Bread--Jesus :-)

Ken

2006/5/10 9:07Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy