SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Bible college student burns down an adult bookstore.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
brentw

Ohio

Bible college student burns down an adult bookstore.

Was the book store evil...yes but we shouldnt pay evil for evil....interesting story:

Police Charge Fundamentalist With Burning Bookstore

POSTED: 4:32 pm EDT May 5, 2006
UPDATED: 4:56 pm EDT May 5, 2006

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- A Bible college student has been charged with arson for allegedly setting fire to an adult bookstore.

Benjamin Daniel Warren, 20, is a student at Crown College, a fundamental Baptist college and seminary of about 900 students in Knoxville. Police said he confessed to the crime and told investigators he realized was a sin.

Warren waived a preliminary hearing this week, and a grand jury is considering his case. His attorney, Chris Coffey, did not immediately return a call for comment Friday.

Authorities said a man wearing black clothing and a ski mask and carrying what proved to be a fake gun entered the Town and Country Bookstore on Jan. 31 and asked the clerk if anyone was inside. Assured the store was empty, he ordered the clerk to leave.

He poured about six gallons of "an ignitable liquid" inside the bookstore and set it on fire, according to an arrest warrant.

No one was injured, but the fire destroyed $600,000 in merchandise and caused up to $300,000 in damage to the building, owner David Stubbs said.

Police had no clue to the masked man's identity until Warren surrendered April 11.

2006/5/5 17:54Profile
repentcanada

Re: Bible college student burns down an adult bookstore.

No one got hurt, praise God.

2006/5/5 22:41Profile

Re:

I think this is a clear case of over-zealousness gone wrong.

It's like the Christians that have tried to blow up Abortion clinics and try justifying it.

Mat 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (KJV)

Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. (KJV)

I am glad it is gone for the sole reason that its merchandising of sex no longer exists. For now, at least. It's only a matter of time till they build it back up again. Especially in this case, the ends do not justify the means.

Jordan

2006/5/6 0:49
leaf

sheffield, UK

Sometimes we forget that the society that the apostles preached and lived in was perversed and corrupt, but they never resorted to violence. We are not called to fight with sin with sin, but with the gospel and holy lives in the power of the Holy Spirit. Having said that, the guy has at least had the courage to give himself up when there was almost no chance of him being caught. If only one day he will use that zeal and courage for the gospel in love and peace. One of the problems we have in the modern church is that, all too often, those with the love lack the zeal and those with the zeal lack the love! Sometime soon I think the Lord might put us all in giant cocktail shaker to get us to the right blend! :-?

2006/5/6 13:06Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

I agree brothers - this was very wrong.

I have shared on this forum before how I used to stand in front of a so called 'adult' store that was near to where I would share the Gospel and pray that the Lord would bring it to nothing.

Whatever the means or reasons for it, for I do not know them, I had the satisfaction of seeing the store borded up before I moved here. I choose to believe it was through answered prayer.

And now since I have been here, I have seen other such things. For instance, there are many 'newstands' around the center city area that plainly display indecent magazines for sale. I recall giving some tracts to the operators of these stands as I ran across them on my treks through the city, and one in particular I noticed had completely removed ALL the magazines. His stand looked almost empty, but there he was anyway.

We can make a difference through peacefull, godly, and God honoring means.

2006/5/6 13:28Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Leaf,

Quote:
One of the problems we have in the modern church is that, all too often, those with the love lack the zeal and those with the zeal lack the love! Sometime soon I think the Lord might put us all in giant cocktail shaker to get us to the right blend!

well said my friend!

2006/5/6 13:32Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Quote:
Benjamin Daniel Warren, 20, is a student at Crown College, a [u]fundamental[/u] Baptist college and seminary of about 900 students in Knoxville.

The thing I notice in the article is the use of the term 'fundamental'. Acts such as these place 'fundamental Christianity' in the same category with other 'fundamental' religions. That does not help.

2006/5/6 14:01Profile
roadsign

Re: repacing evil with good

Quote:
Acts such as these place 'fundamental Christianity' in the same category with other 'fundamental' religions. That does not help.

It brings shame to the gospel.
When a crime is committed we don’t necessarily hear what religious institution the offender is affiliated or which school they attend. But this criminal happened to be from a fundamental Christian BIBLE school. So the connection is branded into the reader’s minds. It makes juicy news for reporters. I remember once reading in the paper, ‘Ex-Sunday School teacher rapes babysitter. And another paper said about this person, “Devout church-goer commits….”

When people want to discredit a religion, they just have to find offenders in it.

Quote:
I had the satisfaction of seeing the store borded up before I moved here. I choose to believe it was through answered prayer.

In my town a group of believers prayed that the hotel would be shut down, and it was. God is much better than we are at bringing down evil.

Our role is to bring in good when God clears the way for us to do so. I was once concerned about some youth reading material in my church library. I didn’t want to put the librarian on the defensive, so I prayed about it. Then I told her my concern, and also offered to replace them with some books that I had purchased. She was very accepting of this.

God taught me through this little incident that if we are concerned about evil we aught to be willing to pay the price for replacing it with something good.
Diane

2006/5/6 14:21Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

1 Cor. 1:2 "To the Church of God which is in Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, the called saints, with all those who call upon the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every place, who is theirs and ours".

Colossians 1:12-14 "Giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you for a share in the allotted portion of the saints in the light; Who delivered us out of the authority of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of the Son of His Love, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins"

Galatians 6:15,16 "For neither is circumcision anything nor uncircumcision, but a new creation is what matters And as many as walk by this rule, peace be upon them and mercy, even upon the Isreal of God"

I would have to say that this type of action, in the very least proceeds from lack of revelation in God's New Testament Economy.

God is not interested in reforming society, He is not even conserned with the behavoir of lost men. These things have been judged already and delt with on the cross.

God has no intent or purpose to reform society but rather to bring in His Kingdom which in in Life and the New Creation.

God wills that His rightousness and His Life be expressed in this world by those who are His and have His Life and are members of the body of Christ. But He has no interest in imposing behavioural standards upon the unregenerated but rather to deliver them from the kingdom of darkness into the Kingdom of the Son of His Love.

God's way is not to reform behavior in this world, but to redeem and impart His Life.

His life grows in those who are redeemed and in them His rightousness is manifested. And His life in His redeemed grows and manifests Christ as a testimony in this fallen and judged world.

Though every instutition of darkness be eliminated from the world, yet men are still fallen, still under the domain of darkness and in need of redemption and regeneration.

It was not to publicans and sinners that the Lord said, "you must be born again" but rather to Nicodemas, a rightouse man who was a teacher of Isreal. If He said this to a harlot or a drunkard, we might say, yes, these need a "new Life" but the Lord said this to Nicodemans, a good a rightouse man by human standards.

There is a distinct lack of perception of these things among those who seek to reform society by imposing the law and the Bible upon the unbelievers and try to eliminate "sin" by fleshly means. God's way is redemption and the dispensing of Christ as Life to those who believe and are regenerated to usher in His Kingdom and to conclude this age.

God is not after a "sinless society" God is after His Kingdom being established in the hearts of His redeemed, regenerated believers who have His Life and who manifest Him as the body of Christ as a testimony to Him in a dark and fallen world. This world and society has already been judged by God and is under condemnation. Cleaning it up will not make it any more acceptable to God. It is judged, it is condemend, it is under His wrath and will perish, God's call is to come out of it into Christ and be saved, regenerated, and partake of His Life and become a New Creation.

If Christ were preached, believed into, recieved and exprerienced, then the suppliers of smut and such things would have no customers. But to try to regulate behavier by manipulating the environment does not bring in the Kingdom of God.

The New Testament was not written to the world or to unbelievers at all. It was entirely written to the church which is the body of Christ and made up of all those who have believed into Christ and have His Life (1 cor 1:2)

There is not one word in the New Testament written to the world, to society, or to anyone who is not in Christ. The entire New Testament is written to believers who are "in Christ' who have His Life and who are called by Him to live by this Life and to manifest Christ in this world. But nothing is written to clean up the world, to whitewash it, to elimate sin.

to be sure God restrains evil by law and society, but this is only for the purpose of His economy which is not centered in this world but in Christ and for the purpose of bringing in His Kingdom which is in Life and will not be manifested till the Lord comes.

We are to pray for those in power that we might live a godly life in quietness... But the objective is not to reform society but rather that the church may exist in relative peace that God's interests may be pursued and His Kingdom grow in His redeemed and that the gospel of this Kingdom be preached in all the world. But God has no interest persay in America as a nation, but rather as a vehicile for His economy which is in faith. There are no Americans in Christ. No Jews, no Greeks, no sythians, slaves, free men, not even male nor female but rather there is the "One New Man" created in Christ.

God's interest in this world are soley for the purpose of fulfililling HIs eternal Purpose which is centered in Christ and will be manfested in the comming age and consumated in the eternal age in the New Earth under the New heavens (Revealtion 21-22)

"A new creation is what matters", not the reformation of the old creation.

Graftedbranch

2006/5/26 13:22Profile

Re:

In the NT we are never called to change the society we live in. We're called to change hearts.

Krispy

2006/5/26 14:22

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy