SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : This verse changed my life!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Josiah777

Sterling, VA

This verse changed my life!

Brothers and sisters,

I thought it might be worthwhile to start a thread to boast in the Lord in how He used a verse or verses to transform our lives. By my title "This verse changed my life!" I mean a verse from Scripture that God opened my eyes to that had a life-changing effect. I can look back to that as a "milestone" in my Christian walk. I find these kinds of testimonies very edifying and more than that, I [i]see the Lord[/i] through the person's testimony. I hope this all makes sense.

One verse that had this kind of impact on me early on in my Christian walk was this one:

"But he was angry and would not go in. Therefore his father came out and pleaded with him" (Luke 15:28).

I had been saved about a year and I had gone down to Fort Lauderdale, Florida during spring break in 1990 as a part of a college evangelistic outreach. As we went out to share the faith, I was paired up with different people, and I noticed how often they spoke on the love of God. I had been a number of times on the streets witnessing. When I got born again, my heart was immediately drawn to sharing the gospel with others. But this "love of God" theme really caught my attention. I would share on salvation, repenting from sins, etc. but that was a missing topic.

One of the leaders of the evangelism conference had been a college philosophy professor, a hardened atheist. Clyde had come to Christ through the witness of a short freshman girl in his class. She just shared a few simple words that Jesus loved him. He said how he could have made "mashed potatos" out her with all his great intellect and philosophical reasonings, but when she shared the simple words, "Jesus loves you," he said it was like rubbing a small clean spot on a dirty window pane that let the light in. Subsequently he was gloriously saved.

That testimony just broke me. My eyes still well up with tears even as I write this. God humbled me, and that night I spent the night crying out to God in a closet. (In Fort Lauderdale during Spring Break, there is no place one can get alone!) During that time of crushing, the Holy Spirit ministered to my heart out of the prodigal son story in Luke 15. He showed me that I was the older son. The Father wanted me to come in and enjoy the feast and the rejoicing, but I [i]would[/i] not. I saw very clearly I was a stranger to His love, even though I had been saved well over a year.

The Lord showed me some bitterness I held against my natural father. My family had been split by divorce when I was four years old. My father was a workaholic and I had never experienced love from him. Until that moment, I didn't see how that affected my attitude towards my heavenly Father. I repented of my harboring bitterness against him, and joy just flooded my heart! For the first time I knew my Father loved me. It was the great dawning of a newness of relationship with my heavenly Father. I have experienced much growth in God's love since then, but that is a milestone I will never forget. Praise be to the Lord who knows how to minister to us where we are to bring us to where we need to be!

Ken

2006/5/5 11:16Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: This verse changed my life!

Quote:
The Lord showed me some bitterness I held against my natural father. My family had been split by divorce when I was four years old. My father was a workaholic and I had never experienced love from him. Until that moment, I didn't see how that affected my attitude towards my heavenly Father. I repented of my harboring bitterness against him, and joy just flooded my heart! For the first time I knew my Father loved me.

I had a similar experience with my father. I was bitter and angry, and didnt really know the love of a father until christ came into my heart.

Since then, My earthly father and I had been working out our relationship. He asked forgiveness, and I was glad to give it to him, thanks to christs example in my life.

God Bless you for sharing this powerful testimony.

Great post!!! :-)

2006/5/5 13:12Profile
Onesimus4God

Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico

Re:

Amen, Ken,
Thank you for sharing that. There are so many unfathered young men in this hour who have never know a father's love. God bless you for sharing your heart so transparently and for the awesome point, sharing God's love.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, so that He who shall believe in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

His love is life. Share His life with someone, by sharing His love. Amen and amen.

"O"

2006/5/5 18:27Profile
FatherSeeker

North Dakota

Re: This verse changed my life!

My log in name speaks for itself. What you said hits close to home. Though my parents never divorced, my Dad's disconnected, so's to speak...not much for a deep relationship. That's really affected how I see God: He always seemed to be smiling at everyone else, but glaring at me. He's patiently been teaching this fool the truth about His love...He's my Daddy. Still alot to learn about His love, but we're working on it. Thank You so much, Father...thank You.

2006/5/6 1:16Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

For me it was a chapter or two matt ch 5,6,7, in which gave me courage to do those things and not just read them.thank you!

2006/5/7 8:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy