SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Who is FILLED with the holy Spirit?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
brentw

Ohio

Who is FILLED with the holy Spirit?

We talk about who is saved which is worthy of asking.... but who is filled with the holy Spirit??

More & more I believe it becomes natural to witness if we are filled. The bible says in the last days we will be ever learning... but we are choking on the things we know.
It seems we learn & learn, and gain more knowledge but only 2% of christians are witnessing in America?? Maybe our wanting knowledge has become an idol or a trap of the enemey?? "Be filled and ye shall become My witness" These were unlearned men but been with Jesus. There is a calling out today...GO!

2006/5/4 17:11Profile
roadsign

Re: Who is FILLED with the holy Spirit?

It really is amazing, isn’t it Brent, that in this day of many bibles, audios, videos, internet sites, and a huge assortment of aids for the Christian life, few seem to display evidence of a Spirit-filled life. I think you are right:

Quote:
we are choking on the things we know. Maybe our wanting knowledge has become an idol or a trap of the enemy…

I’ve been there myself – more hungry for knowledge about God and about to live the Christian life than to know the Lord. I finally came to the point in my life where I saw the futility of all this. Only then did I begin to trust God to work in my life and circumstances. His Spirit has been a very good teacher and guide.

only 2% of Christians are witnessing in America

No doubt this isn’t far from the truth. However, I think it is safe to assume that the word ‘Christian” is a rather loosely applied term. It is quite possible that only 2% of those who label themselves as Christians really are – and thus the lack of witnessing.

"Always be pepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." 1 Pet. 3:15 Obviously, others notice authentic faith. There is a big difference between proselyzing and witnessing.

Matt 28:19 says, “Therefore go and make disciples… Apparently the word “go” is more accurately translated as you go” "... as you go, disciple all the nations... (ISV)

In other words, making disciples is a part of our every day lives. We don’t have to go anywhere necessarily. ...first in Jerusalem... then Samaria.... then wherever you are scattered on this globe - at least that's what the earlier followers of Christ did.

“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you WILL be my witnesses…” Acts 1:8 It would seem that being witness of Christ within us, our blessed hope, is more an outcome than merely a command.

Diane

2006/5/4 22:10Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

I wonder if Ravenhill was right that only 5% is truly saved in America??
Vance Havner said 2% were saved here?

Is that the problem we're facing why only 2% witness....because those that ARE saved do witness?? ....2%??

2006/5/5 11:12Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Amen to that word: go.

Teach all nations...go into all the world...repentance and remission of sins should be preached...I send you...you shall receive power.

It seemed then and seems now that the promises of God go hand in hand with going out and preaching. John R Rice, Oswald Smith, and many others often spoke how God's main focus in Christians was to have them preach the gospel and get people saved.

We are filled to serve, and I believe you must continue to serve if you want to stay filled. Jesus said "go" and I am glad that "they went forth and preached everywhere."

2006/5/5 22:37Profile
roadsign

Re: Spirit-filled missionaries

Quote:
I believe you must continue to serve if you want to stay filled. "

Be careful that you don't put the cart before the horse. I don't see in scripture where filling is the outcome of our works. It is the other way around. Spirit-filling is the result of surrender and submission to the Lord - under his terms, not ours. This is a death process. It also involves a learning to wait on the Lord, and be transormed by him.

I have been a evangelical missionary myself - and can say from personal observation that "Go and preach" can very easily become a process of making proselytes instead of true followers of Chist. It was in Jesus day too. The pharisees were zealous about going and preaching, they even traveled over land and sea in order to win a single convert.... you know what Jesus said about that, don't you?

It has been this way for centuries. It is no different today. Evangelistic efforts is frequently energized by strong convictions, though deluded, driven by self effort without respect for God's leading and timimg. Much of it is a "form of godliness with out the power".

However, I add, it is not all like that. There are true Spirit-led people who are shining lights - no matter what they are doing.

You may be blessed by reading such missionary biographies as Hudson Taylor, Gladys Alward, Mary Slessor, George Muller, Bruchko, Don Richardson, Jonathan Goforth or others. These Spirit-filled missionaries served with power from above! They heard from God and followed God! And, what impact they made!

Our Lord said, "I will build my Church" He uses his followers, but still, HE is doing it, by the power of his Spirit.
Diane

2006/5/6 8:23Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Very well said Diane.

Quote:
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you WILL be my witnesses…” Acts 1:8 It would seem that being witness of Christ within us, our blessed hope, is more an outcome than merely a command.

There is all the difference in the world between 'being' and 'doing'. The right balance struck between these two;
Quote:
I have been a evangelical missionary myself - and can say from personal observation that "Go and preach" is a very easily misunderstood command.

Quote:
However, I add, it is not all like that. There are true Spirit-led missionaries out there in the midst of the of human zeal.

Just as well the continuation of the command is to make disciples, difficult or rather impossible if one is not made one first.

Believe Ravenhill spoke to this somewhat about preachers in general, that it takes God "20 years to make a preacher."

2006/5/6 9:47Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy