SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hometown Prophet?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Hometown Prophet?

SI members,

I would like to open air preach in my town where I was born and raised and presently reside. The question is I am not sure if I would be doing more harm than good.

Five years ago I was selling drugs, fighting, gang involvement and very promiscuous. I was in jail for a short time in 2001. After that I cleaned myself up, started going to Church, got married, have 2 kids and working as a counsellor at a treatment centre for youth.

I know I am a changed man, but in a town of 10,000 people, it seems they always identify you by your past and not your present.

What do you think?

Murray

2006/5/4 10:14Profile

Re: Hometown Prophet?

Oh, I know how you feel. I always think that most people would know me for my past more than my present, because I haven't been in touch with them, etc. But that is not a reason to not preach. Once they see that you ARE a changed person, they will be shocked.

"Wasn't this the person that was selling drugs, getting into fights, and was in gangs and just a overall bad guy-- what's got a hold of him?"

Brother, you will be a great testimony of that God can save "to the uttermost," no matter how far to the pit one goes!

Even if they did scold you and say, "Your a fool, your insane!" Or, something along those lines, it wouldn't matter. Preach in spite of what they think. Preach not for the world, but for God. His approval only.

Jordan

2006/5/4 10:32
PreachParsly

Arkansas

I would do it.... oh wait I am! Praise God! 3 years ago I was selling drugs and now preach on the same club area I use to go party at. Preach against the very things people know you did. They will know you are athentic because you were there.

Not too long ago I was preaching on the street and a girl I knew came up and yelled to everyone, " I know him! I use to smoke pot with him. He has the best stuff around." Then I said, "Yes! I use to be a pot-head! Now I have turned from sin and now serve God! All of you pot-heads need to do what I did, REPENT!"

2006/5/4 10:33Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

Thats awsome guys,

the person who led me to the lord(who is now my best friend) was big time into that stuff, and I saw another one of my friends Josh (who now is in the military) get delivered from the hands of satan into the loving arms of Jesus Christ, both were big time druggies, but now go witnessing to EVERYONE they used to party with, and believe me, they know everyone.

That will be such a awsome testimony for other people to see, especially the ones who knew you.

God Bless all

2006/5/4 10:41Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Gentlemen,

I guess I was thinking about 1 Timothy 3:7 "He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap."

Then again Saul was killing Christians and persecuting them until he had an encounter with the Living Christ. Once he became Paul he turned the whole countryside on its head with his preaching, and penned two thirds of the New Testament!

I am grateful he did not let his past hold him back. And with that I think I just answered my own question!

Murray

2006/5/4 10:42Profile
Scroggins

Dallas, TX

Brother Murray,

Man, thank you for your trust in the Brothers and Sisters to help you answer such a question. I am so moved by your question and I thank you for what you have shared. Great testimony, it certainly brings Glory to GOD and shows HIS power.

So go and preach. They will see Christ's work. Tell them of the sins you've done, tell them of the evils that used to take hold of you. Tell them of the freedom from that past you now have. TURN THAT TOWN UPSIDE DOWN!

They knew only of the old Murray.

You are no longer that person BUT A NEW BEING! SHOW THEM THE POWER OF GOD AND THE HOLY SPIRIT!

GOD Bless you Brother.

In HIS Love,
Scroggins

2006/5/4 11:24Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy