SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Seeking Scriptural Clarification Regarding The Laying On Of Hands

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Seeking Scriptural Clarification Regarding The Laying On Of Hands

I am seeking Scriptural clarification regarding the practice of the laying on of hands. The question has arose that during street ministry - especially to the homeless and poor who request prayer and deliverance and healing - what is the Biblical precedence for or against the laying on of hands during prayer. Any help or insight in this matter would be helpful.

Thank you,
Patrick
www.obeyjesus.net

2006/5/2 1:01Profile
mega

Australia, NSW

Re: Seeking Scriptural Clarification Regarding The Laying On Of Hands

I know you are seeking scriptural answers on the laying on of hands but I want to recommend a great book by derek Prince called how to expel Demons....this really opened my eyes on transferance of spirits, but im not sure if it may be different concerning unsaved...yeah just felt on my heart to let you know...bless ya. :-)

2006/5/2 6:18Profile

Re: Seeking Scriptural Clarification Regarding The Laying On Of Hands

Quote:
I want to recommend a great book by derek Prince called how to expel Demons....this really opened my eyes on transferance of spirits,

Can you remember what it's called?

[b]Mark 6:13[/b]
And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed [them]. (KJV)

Patrick, I think you need to look at the context of this statement, but I believe it is a relevant aspect to the answer you're seeking.

2006/5/2 6:45

Re:

Derek Prince has two books that I believe will help you:

1. They Shall Expel Demons

2. Spiritual Warfare, Rules of Engagement

You can find them on line at Impact Christian Books

http://impactchristianbooks.com/products.asp?category=Prince&name=Derek+Prince

God bless,

Stever

2006/5/2 11:49

Re:

There are many OT examples as well that I haven't included. I.e., the OT High Priests were ordained by the laying on of hands. These are strictly the NT examples.

Jesus gave instructions to lay on of hands to heal a person:

Quote:
Mark 16:14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen. [15] And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. [16] He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. [17] And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; [18] They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (KJV)

Some believers were appointed to service by the Apostles by laying on of hands:

Quote:
Acts 6:1-6 And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration. [2] Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables. [3] Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. [4] But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word. [5] And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch: [6] Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them. (KJV)

In association with receiving the Holy Spirit:

Quote:
Acts 8:14-19 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: [15] Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: [16] (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) [17] Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. [18] And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given he offered them money, [19] Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. (KJV)

However, not all Believers (like Philip, here) have the power to give the Holy Spirit to another person through laying on of hands. However, it's interesting to note that Philip still had the power to heal and cast out unclean spirits as Jesus said they (and we, for that matter as well!) would have. This is seen here:

Quote:
Acts 8:5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. [6] And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. [7] For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed. [8] And there was great joy in that city. [9] But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one: [10] To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God. [11] And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries. [12] But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. [13] Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. (KJV)

What an amazing testimony of God at work!

After Paul prayed, he laid hands on the person to heal him:

Quote:
Acts 28:7-9 In the same quarters were possessions of the chief man of the island, whose name was Publius; who received us, and lodged us three days courteously. [8] And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him. [9] So when this was done, others also, which had diseases in the island, came, and were healed: (KJV)

In Acts 9:10-18, Ananias, a mere disciple (not an Apostle), was given the power by Jesus to lay hands on Saul for him to receive the Holy Spirit and to receive his sight:

Quote:
Acts 9:10 And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord. [11] And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth, [12] And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight. [13] Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem: [14] And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name. [15] But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: [16] For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake. [17] And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. [18] And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized. (KJV)

Because Ananias was only a disciple and not an Apostle, this shows that Jesus can choose to give this gift to others outside of the Apostle calling.

Acts 19:1-6 shows that Paul had also the power to lay hands on new believers for the receiving of the Holy Spirit:

Quote:
Act 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, [2] He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. [3] And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. [4] Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. [5] When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. [6] And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. (KJV)

And, if you do wish to lay on hands to do miracles/healings, a warning for you if you have not received this Authority from God:

Quote:
Acts 19:11 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: [12] So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them. [13] Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. [14] And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. [15] And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? [16] And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. [17] And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified. (KJV)

Wow. And where is this in our churches today? Where are the healings, the laying on of sick and being healed, immediately. And where is even the giving of the Holy Spirit through laying on of hands? As far as casting out demons, Jesus said this "kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting." (Mark 9:29)

I don't know of one person out there that has this sort of authority that only comes through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jordan

2006/5/2 13:19
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Quote:
However, not all Believers (like Philip, here) have the power to give the Holy Spirit to another person through laying on of hands. However, it's interesting to note that Philip still had the power to heal and cast out unclean spirits as Jesus said they (and we, for that matter as well!) would have.

This is very interesting I have never thought of this before. any more insight anyone has on this would be great.

Quote:
Wow. And where is this in our churches today? Where are the healings, the laying on of sick and being healed, immediately. And where is even the giving of the Holy Spirit through laying on of hands?

I don't know of one person out there that has this sort of authority that only comes through our Lord Jesus Christ.

This is sad but true. Didn't Jesus say you would do these works and even greater? Why is this? Lack of faith? Lack of the Holy Spirit?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The reason I ask is because I lay my hands on people readily when mistering to the poor and homeless for healing and deliverance and when they will allow me for divine revelation from the Spirit, conviction, eyes to be opened etc. I was just wondering if I had specific Scriptural verification for doing such a thing. Many of these people are desperate and very willing to be prayed for after being ministered (preached the gospel) to. Any other thoughts or comments would be welcome and helpful. :-)

Patrick

2006/5/2 21:25Profile

Re: Laying on of Hands

Patrick said:

The reason I ask is because I lay my hands on people readily when mistering to the poor and homeless for healing and deliverance and when they will allow me for divine revelation from the Spirit, conviction, eyes to be opened etc. I was just wondering if I had specific Scriptural verification for doing such a thing. Many of these people are desperate and very willing to be prayed for after being ministered (preached the gospel) to. Any other thoughts or comments would be welcome and helpful.

Patrick

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stever responds:

What the Bible says about the Holy Spirit

Paul was focused upon laying his hands on believers, and baptizing them with the Holy Ghost. He hardly water baptized at all, only several people during his entire ministry.

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"
1 Cor 6:19

"And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us."
Romans 5:5

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."
John 14:16-17

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come."
John 16:7, 13

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"
Matthew 3:11

"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)"
John 7:38-39

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"
Luke 11:13

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:"
Joel 2:28

"And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."
Acts 1:4, 5, 8.

"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."
Acts 2:4

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."
Acts 2:38

"And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness."
Acts 4:31

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;"
Ephesians 5:18

"Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost."
Acts 8:14-17

"While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God."
Acts 10:44-46a

"He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied."
Acts 19:2-6

Why is the gift of the Holy Spirit missing in our Church today? We have all been born again and water baptized, but where is the power that Christ promised the believer?

John the Baptist tells us that he baptized with water, but that He (Christ) would baptize believers with the Holy Ghost and Fire. This Baptism would provide them with the power to be a witness for Him, and to do the work of the Church. This is the missing element in todays Church, to be sure. After Pentecost the Bible teaches that in most instances the filling of the Holy Spirit does not happen at the time of water baptism. When does it happen?

The Bible tells us that it happens most often by the LAYING ON OF HANDS OF OTHER SPIRIT FILLED BELIEVERS IN THE BODY OF CHRIST. Some examples of this are as follows:

Acts 6: 5. And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch:
6. Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, THEY LAID THEIR HANDS ON THEM.
7. And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

Acts 8: 14. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15. Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16. (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17. THEN LAID THEY THEIR HANDS ON THEM, AND THEY RECEIVED THE HOLY GHOST.

Acts 8: 18. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19. SAYING, GIVE ME ALSO THIS POWER, THAT ON WHOMSOEVER I LAY HANDS, HE MAY RECEIVE THE HOLY GHOST.

Acts 9: 17. And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; AND PUTTING HIS HANDS ON HIM SAID, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
18. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith...”

Acts 13: 2. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
3. And when they had fasted and prayed, AND LAID THEIR HANDS ON THEM, they sent them away.
4. So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus."

Acts 19:" 5. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6. And WHEN PAUL HAD LAID HIS HANDS UPON THEM, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
7. And all the men were about twelve."

Acts 28:" 8. And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, AND LAID HIS HANDS ON HIM, and healed him.

1 Timothy 4:" 13. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
14. Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the LAYING ON OF THE HANDS OF THE PRESBYTERY."

1 Timothy 5:" 22. Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure."

2 Timothy 1: 6. Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, WHICH IS IN THEE BY THE PUTTING ON OF MY HANDS.
7. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Hebrews 6:" 1. Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
2. Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of LAYING ON OF HANDS, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
3. And this will we do, if God permit."

God bless,

Stever :-)

2006/5/2 21:42

Re: Baptism of the Holy Ghost

As you might know, I have personally experienced the BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT BY THE LAYING ON OF HANDS, MANY YEARS AFTER BEING SAVED. IS THIS SCRIPTURAL?

I have prepared a little Bible study here, that spells it out for me and gives me understanding of what happened to me, in comparison to what occured in the lives of the early Church believers in regards to the Baptism IN the Holy Spirit:

The Baptism in the Holy Spirit versus Salvation

I. Question #1: Is every Christian, those who are "born-again", also baptized in the Holy Spirit, that is, is the baptism in the Holy Spirit automatically received with Salvation?

A. Read John 20:22
"And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and *said to them, "22. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:"
The context of this passage is the time between the resurrection and the ascension of Jesus. Here Jesus breathes on His apostles, they RECEIVE the Holy Spirit (that is, they are "born-again", i.e. "saved"). However, the first time that the baptism in the Holy Spirit occurs is on Pentecost, which occurred after the ascension.
B. Read Luke 24:49
"And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed (endued) with POWER from on high."

During this same period between the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the ascension Jesus promises the apostles the baptism in the Holy Spirit and orders them to wait for it in the city of Jerusalem.

C. Read Acts 1:5
"for John baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with [in] the Holy Spirit not many many days from now."
Again the same promise and order not to leave the city of Jerusalem to the apostles by Jesus, before He was taken up into heaven.

D. Read Acts 2:4
"And they were ALL filled with the HOLY GHOST and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance."
This is the point where the apostles received the baptism IN the Holy Spirit. However as we have seen there existed a period of time between where they RECEIVED the Holy Spirit and were BAPTIZED IN the Holy Spirit. These were separate acts and each have a different reason. Salvation comes with receiving the Holy Spirit, that is we are saved from the penalty of sin. We become sons of God, that is we receive the authority to act as the sons of God. With the baptism in the Holy Spirit we receive the power to act as the sons of God (incidentally, there is a third level where we receive the direction to act as a son of God).

II. Question #2: Ok, I can see that the apostles were first saved and THEN baptized in the Holy Spirit later, but what about ordinary people like me?

A. Read Acts 8:5
"And Philip went down to the city of Samaria and began proclaiming CHRIST to them."
B. Read Acts 8:8
"And there was much JOY in that city."
C. Read Acts 8:12
"But when they BELIEVED Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike."
They were preaching the message of Jesus and His offer of Salvation. They also accepted the message and signs which Philip brought, thus they were "born-again".
D. This is just what Jesus said in Mark 16:15 and 16 "And He said to them, 'Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.
He who has BELIEF and has been BAPTIZED shall be SAVED; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned."
At this point the people of Samaria are born-again, but nothing has been said, one way or the other, about BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.
E. Read Acts 8:14 through 17
"Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they SENT them Peter and John, who came down and prayed for them, that they might RECEIVE THE HOLY GHOST.

For He (THE HOLY GHOST) had not yet FALLEN UPON ANY of them; they had simply been baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus.
Then they began laying their hands on them , and they RECEIVED the Holy Spirit."
Thus, we see that the people of Samaria first were born-again, then baptized in the Holy Spirit later; this is just what we saw with the apostles themselves.

III. Question #3: Are there other examples of people first being born-again,
A Read Acts 19:1 through 6
"And it came about that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper country came to Ephesus, and found some disciples,
and he said to them, 'Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you BELIEVED ?' And they said to him, 'No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit'.
And he said, 'Into what then were you baptized? And they said, 'Into John's baptism',
And Paul said, 'John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling people to believe in Him who was coming after Him, that is Jesus.'
And when they heard this, they were baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus.
And when Paul LAID HIS HANDS UPON THEM, the HOLY SPIRIT came on them , and they began speaking with tongues and they were prophesying.
The people had believed the message preached by John about Jesus, they were believers, THEY WERE "SAVED" OR "BORN AGAIN". However they were never taught to be water baptized as the completion of righteousness (enter the death and resurrection as a symbolic act)-they were baptized only for repentence. Also, they were NOT BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY SPIRIT. When Paul told them of these things, first they were water baptized in the NAME of Jesus and second he LAID HANDS on them and they were baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Thus, these examples from God's Word explain my personal understanding and experience of what really happens to the average believer. The BAPTISM OF THE HOLY GHOST is an entirely separate event that takes place by the LAYING ON OF HANDS. Each of us can see from the above that we do receive the Holy Spirit at the new birth, when we are saved, but CAN STILL NOT BE BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.

IV. Question #4: Does this mean that some large period of time must pass between the new birth and the baptism in the Holy Spirit?

A. Read Acts 10:44 through 48

While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the Word (Gospel).
And all the circumcised believers who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out upon the Gentiles also. For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered, 'Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?'
And he ordered them to be baptized in the NAME of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay for a few days.
These people were Gentiles who were not raised knowing God, they were God fearing people, they were good people. They asked Peter to come deliver the message of salvation because God told them to do so in a vision. These people were not Christians, that is, they were not "saved" or "born-again". Peter delivered the salvation message as stated in verses 34 to 43, in verse 43 he specifically defined the requirement to be "saved", "Of Him all prophets bear witness that through HIS NAME everyone who BELIEVES in Him receives forgiveness of sins". After this they were all baptized in the Holy Spirit. Here the group is preached to, they believed and thus were "born-again". Immediately after the new birth they were baptized in the Holy Spirit, even before the water baptism. This is the only case in the New Testament where this is seen, the normal case is first salvation, then later the baptism in the Holy Spirit.

V. Question #5: Is there a Scripture which lists these sequence of steps toward the baptism in the Holy Spirit?

A. Read Ephesian 1:13
"In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of PROMISE,"
The steps to the baptism in the Holy Spirit are 1) listen to the message of truth (the gospel), 2) believe the message (become saved), and 3) then be baptized in the Holy Spirit.

VI. Question #6: How does God decide who to baptize in the Holy Spirit?
A. Read Luke 11:13
"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ASK Him?"

First off, God is not the Father of the evil people, Satan is their father! Secondly, if God is your Father you are His child. If you are a child or a son of God then you are born again, i.e. saved. Read John 7:38 and 39, "'He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, From his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water.' But this He spoke of the spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive, for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified." Thus, first we must be a child of God, then last and most important we must ask for the gift of the baptism IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.Thus first we must be a child of God, then last and most important we must ASK FOR THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.

Thus, God does not make the decision as to who He baptizes, we must as children of God request the baptism from our heart.

God bless,

Stever

2006/5/3 19:04
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I am of two mindsets i have been badly damaged by people who do not know what they are doing say a drunk lays his hands on you and you get demonically attacked, Then you can have a mighty man of god lay his hands on you and you can be blessed but dealing with homeless I would always say it is wise but I always think who one earth is laying there hands on me? What spirit are they of?
What are they into? Because it is almost like they transfer some of themselves to you and sometimes it is god.
There are times when I have had mightly leaders pray for me and felt so blessed by them laying there hands on me.
In all things I think it is to be wise and cautious.

Mt 21:46 - Show Context
But when they sought to lay hands on him, they feared the multitude, because they took him for a prophet.

Mr 5:23 - Show Context
And besought him greatly, saying, My little daughter lieth at the point of death: I pray thee, come and lay thy hands on her, that she may be healed; and she shall live.

Mr 16:18 - Show Context
They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Lu 20:19 - Show Context
And the chief priests and the scribes the same hour sought to lay hands on him; and they feared the people: for they perceived that he had spoken this parable against them.

Lu 21:12 - Show Context
But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.

Ac 8:19 - Show Context
Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

Ac 28:8 - Show Context
And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him.

1Ti 5:22 - Show Context
Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

Mt 18:28 - Show Context
But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.

Mt 19:15 - Show Context
And he laid his hands on them, and departed thence.

Mt 26:50 - Show Context
And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him.

Mr 6:5 - Show Context
And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.

Mr 14:46 - Show Context
And they laid their hands on him, and took him.

Lu 4:40 - Show Context
Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them.

Lu 13:13 - Show Context
And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.

Joh 7:30 - Show Context
Then they sought to take him: but no man laid hands on him, because his hour was not yet come.

Joh 7:44 - Show Context
And some of them would have taken him; but no man laid hands on him.

Joh 8:20 - Show Context
These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come.

Ac 4:3 - Show Context
And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide.

Ac 5:18 - Show Context
And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison.

Ac 6:6 - Show Context
Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them.

Ac 8:17 - Show Context
Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Ac 13:3 - Show Context
And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

Ac 19:6 - Show Context
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Ac 21:27 - Show Context
And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him,

Ac 28:8 - Show Context
And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him.

Heb 1:10 - Show Context
And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:

2006/5/3 19:20Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy