Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Joseph's Coat of Many Colours

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
garoak

Ireland

Joseph's Coat of Many Colours

I have a question,and would be grateful of some imput.I love typology in the old testament and all that.Could any one expound on Joseph's coat of many colours. I would love to hear some feedback on it.
:-D

2006/4/27 17:15Profile
dohzman

Re: Joseph's Coat of Many Colours

The coat of God's wisdom, hummmm what a wonderful thought! Makes the admonition James makes to us to ask for wisdom all that much more appealing.

2006/4/27 22:06Profile
one

usa

dear garoak
i love the types and shadows in the old testiment too. i have not meditated much on the coat of joseph much though. i do know that joseph is a type of Christ, so i would say it is symbolic of how the Father has clothed the body of Christ. i know it's not much but it's a start. i like to meditate on the word of God and wait for a divine revelation. i'm excited to see what He will show us.
ooo i just got a one! think about this... we are the body of Christ and we are diverse. it's like each of us is a thread and the Father lovingly weaves us together. the full revelation of God comes only when we are skillfully knit together in love by the Holy Spirit. i know there's more let me know what you get! i feel something like a divine connection in the Spirit. it awesome when even two or three are gathered in His name even in cyber space!
all glory to God!!!
in the love of the Lord
one

2006/4/27 22:18Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Hi Garoak,

If I remember correctly there was a certain amount of jealousy among the brothers as a result of the his fathers giving him the coat in the first place... It sort of reminds me of the incident where the priests were getting really worried that the whole world would come to believe on Jesus; and so they planned to kill him...??? That is if my memory serves me well....

Hi Dozman....how you been doing ?

2006/4/29 11:20Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

Hey all. I too love this website and love to hear others thoughts. When I think of colors like in the coat of Joseph I think of fruits, even fruits of the spirit. And am reminded of a scripture, not sure why, but Psalms says in chap 45, 'You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness, therefore, God, your God, has annointed you with the oil of gladness far above your fellows.' It seems the coat is a type or symbol of annointing. What do you all think? Am I off base here?
Someone said below that his brothers were jealous, and they were. Joseph intended not to make his brothers jealous, nor did he wear it with that in mind, but humbly and proudly showed it to them, so they could rejoice with him. Christ seemed to do just that. He showed humbly and proudly the work He was doing and even told us that the work He did was what His father told Him to do and even what He saw His father doing. Joseph had the mind of a child, a child proudly shows others what is his or what has been given him/her. Am I getting anywhere or am I rambling?

To know Him
Rich

2006/4/29 11:42Profile
garoak

Ireland

Hey, This feed back is great, somehow I get the feeling we are only scratching the surface.This coat obviously drew him alot of attention.Doesn't it say some where " he that departs from iniquity makes himself a prey" Perhaps the mark of christ in his life causing his own to dispise him. Hey how about a mirror of the future gentile church from every tribe and nation different colours etc.Isn't God's word so!! unfathmable! :-)

2006/4/29 17:24Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: enjoyable

God's Word is very deep and filled with incredible meaning, and Praise God we are not alone in our adventure into the Scriptures. We have the Spirit of Truth, to open our understanding to the Word of Truth.

Was Joseph as worried about his coat as we are here? I know they made a movie called 'Joseph's Technicolour Dream Coat', but I think that the Scriptures don't reveal a big story about this coat, or do they? (Perhaps a few Scriptures from the section relating to Joseph's coat might help to provide a little colour to this thread.)

--------------------------------------------------

"The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness,....."

--------------------------------------------------

Grace and Peace in Jesus,

2006/4/29 19:42Profile
dohzman

Re:

Hey Bro.! I'm hangin' in there. You? I believe you're right in the sense of the coat did provoke jealousy, you might be on something there. I see it alot with other ministers, if a brother or sister seems to display more of God's graces they quickly seem to get jealous and insecure. Interesting parallel and observation.

2006/4/29 19:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

As we look at Joseph's coat, it may be well to check out the context in which this coat is mentioned, and the wearer as well.

Joseph was the son of Jacob's favorite wife, Rachel. He was [obviously] loved by his father and he loved in return which means he was an obedient child. Coupled with this the LORD gave him some dreams which proved to be prophetic and his brothers, and father, sensed this as well which widen the rift between him and his wicked brethern even more. We see there was plenty of tension between the sons of Jacob's other women and Rachel's son.

Jacob gave Joseph a coat of many colors which signified the wearer to be a very special person. Some say it meant he was an heir or a first born and this would have been true in the sense he was Rachel's first-born. In any case it told the world this is a special person and this irked his brothers even more. Being away from home, away from dad, they believed they could do as they will with no lasting consequences and so they did: they took the boy, stripped him of his symbol of prestige and sold him to some distant relatives who in turn took him to Egypt and sold him there.

We know the story; this was God's way of providing for his people in the future while at the same time teach Jacob's family some very important truths:
1. Imagine the guilt these men carried all these years until Joseph unmasked them. By then they had mellowed a lot. They actually became submissive. At the point where they sold Joseph, they could not have been described as being humble, gentle, submissive men.
2. Joseph accepted his fate and made the best of the situation.
3. Joseph is considered to be a type of Christ:
a. Both were sold. Joseph's brethern received 20 pieces of silver; Jesus was sold for 30 pieces of silver.
b. Both were beloved their fathers.
c.Both made unusual claims which were rejected by their brothers.
d. Both became a blessing to the gentiles and acquired a Gentile bride.

Now there may be other points which I missed...and it may not be what you are looking for. As I look at the coat of many colors, I see it must be understood in the larger context of Joseph's entire life and the prevailing culture.

What did you have in mind?

ginnyrose

2006/4/30 18:59Profile
garoak

Ireland

Re:

Hi Ginnyrose,
Joseph is one of my most favorite characters in the old testament. Because he is so like Christ. The paralelles are so amazing hundreds of years before the messiah arrives, God is telling us through scripture of the coming Christ. Lately I have been journeying with Joseph and looking at many of the aspects of his life and how it all points to Christ, it is just so thrilling! the thought that he (Jesus)is the Christ the Son of the living God!and that it is revealed to the likes of me. It reminds me when Jesus said to his deciples "who do you say I am?" and Simon Peter says "you are the Christ the Son of the living God". Jesus replies blessed are you simon son of jonah, because flesh and blood has not revealed this to you but my father in heaven. And we who are born again it has been revealed to us by our father in heaven, Praise God!
So I have been looking at Joseph's coloured coat feeling there is so much more in it, I guess it God's word at the end of the day and we will never get to the bottom of it or the top of it. Its eternal.

2006/5/1 6:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy