SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Love God. THEN do what you want.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread
Rahman

Re: Doing what you want...

Bro MC you wrote;
"BroFor instance , when I read your testimony I felt it could be truthfully said; Rahman loves the Lord, and therefore he purposes in his heart to please the Lord in all he does."

Amen ... it wasn't always the case with me, and yes i do now "purpose" to please our Lord in all that i do ... But i know what i "purpose" ain't diddly, and is prone to failing into the evil that i wish not to do, if my "purpose" is not powered/empowered by Holy Spirit Himself ... Greater is HE that is in me ... With CHRIST i am more than a conqueror ... i can do ALL THINGS (only) THRU CHRIST who strengthens me ...

i remember some time back when Holy Spirit told me to refer to myself with a lower case i ... Initially it stung me, and was uncomfortable to do, now i see His point completely ... i don't think of myself as I anymore, so it's no longer "God and I" but "God and i" ... The enemy of God is thinking to much of our "self" ...

You know last night it came across my mind that our Lord in His infinite wisdom and mercy may have saved me from a whole lot worse pain and turmoil had He let me become an artist, immersed in that libertine and hedonistic life style, and then called me to Himself ... The guy (65 now) who i used to paint with, who also claims Christ, started in NY and continued for some time in that lifestyle and is still having a terrible time being extricated from the debauchery of drink and lust ... For one thing he continues to be pre-occupied with the female form - nudes (which is why i used to call him Gauguin), which our Lord nixed in me early in my salvation ...

The mystery to me in our Lord's calling is why are some of us more obstinate than others, and why does it seem that some have more to overcome than others? ... Perhaps it has something to do with "those who are forgiven much - love much", and it's out of that redemption from a satanic beat down that our Lord can eventually raise up those to wither satan because we know him ...

Added strength in Christ Jesus to you bro! ... :-D

2006/5/10 12:02Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
...i know what i "purpose" is diddly, and is prone to failing into the evil that i wish not to do, if my "purpose" is not powered/empowered by Holy Spirit Himself ... Greater is HE that is in me ...

Amen. This is the truth.

Blessings!

MC

2006/5/10 12:46Profile
roadsign

Re: loving a bigger God

Rahman, your testimony is deeply stirring. Yet, I can only slightly identify. I grew up CRC – at the time heavily into hyper-Calvinism. That doctrine basically assassinated your will, or any sense of responsibility for personal choices. You were a “victim” of God – or rather the religious system. Actually, I didn’t think of it that way.

I took a different path than you did. At a young age I made a vow to myself that, being one of the chosen, I would never, ever become like those BAD BOYS! – (ie, the ones who threw paper airplanes from the balcony during church- those were destined to hell for sure) Instead I became the shiner. To maintain assurance, I surrendered my will to my authorities. My mom thrived on that – being able to control my life. At 8 yo I still didn’t choose what I would wear. I still asked permission to go to the bathroom. At 19 I almost got expelled from nursing school because I couldn’t make decisions. Thankfully God marvellously intervened and rescued me from my own self-made prison!

Really the roots of my sin were the same as yours – a sinful, fleshly response to ungodly controls - without surrendering to God.

BTW, a psychologist once said that her most frequent clientele were RC’s and JW’s. I suspect that religion, generally speaking, keeps the social profession in business. It keeps one in a state of dependency and guilt.

Here’s a strange example:
I am presently reading a book on the life of a Russian composer and learned that at his christening the priest decided to change his name. The priest simply overruled the parent’s choice! Yet, it was accepted, and life went on. I wonder, if this was considered acceptable religious practice at that time in Russia, then it shouldn’t be surprising that the people so easily surrendered themselves to the state.

I think that there are times when God simply wants us to go ahead and make choices rather than wait for instructions to fall from heaven, or doors to open automatically. We can be paralysed by a fear of making choices. Here’s a silly little example:

One day I wrote an article about hypocrisy and felt that I should give it to a certain church authority. I just didn’t know if it was God’s timing. So I wavered till it just about drove me crazy. I sure didn’t want to move outside of God’s will. Finally a friend said, “God’s legs aren’t too short that he can’t catch up with you.” I realized that God is most capable of intercepting any of our moves. I delivered my message. In the end, I did what I wanted to, partly, because I knew I couldn’t live with not doing it. I suspect it just got tossed in the garbage. But the important thing I needed to learn was that God’s bigger purposes are in his hands, and I will not topple his program that easily. Even though I loved God, I still needed to learn the love of a far bigger God… and still do.

The bigger God is, the smaller I am. Rahman, God gave me the same message as you about the "i" - about 7 years ago in a vision of a capital "I" being knocked out and replaced by a small "i". That was cool!

diane

2006/5/10 17:20Profile
Rahman

Re: loving a bigger God

Sis D you wrote;
"You were a “victim” of God – or rather the religious system. Actually, I didn’t think of it that way."

--- Amen ... such religious systems as the RC and JW's does make one a "victim" of the religious system, but i'm not so sure that most "religious systems" today (including Protestantism) doesn't make most victims of their pomp, circumstance, form and fashion ... My tearing away (or as i now think of it His tearing me away) from the JW's was a most painful experience, and subsequently made me very wary of being sucked into man made form and fashion when scripture literally screams out against such practices (God hates Nicolaitinism and Balaamism) ... One of the first head bangs He had me do with my pastors was regarding denominationalism, and the sin they engaged in by bad mouthing and degrading saints from other denom's ... Boy was that fun :-? , His correction coming to leadership via a new convert just wet behind the ears ---

Sis D you wrote;
"To maintain assurance, I surrendered my will to my authorities. My mom thrived on that – being able to control my life. At 8 yo I still didn’t choose what I would wear. I still asked permission to go to the bathroom. At 19 I almost got expelled from nursing school because I couldn’t make decisions."

--- Amen - Sis do i identify with you on this ... We had to ask permission for everything ... In fact i remember my Dad bragging to one of his friends that if he told us the sky was orange then the sky to us was orange ... My Dad had a tremendous effect on my young life, and so did the JW religion until at age 14 i heard a voice in my spirit (whom i later attributed to Holy Spirit) tell me that the JW's were wrong in their theology ... And then in 1975 when the world did not come to an end it sent me into a pure hatred for all things JW (which praise Him He's since cured me of) ... That incident also enabled me to take my parents down off the pedestal of infallibilty which they'd groomed me to worship at ... It's just amazing now for me to look back on my 55 years and see just how far He's brought me ---

Sis D you wrote;
"BTW, a psychologist once said that her most frequent clientele were RC’s and JW’s. I suspect that religion, generally speaking, keeps the social profession in business. It keeps one in a state of dependency and guilt."

--- Amen on both counts ... At one point when i was trying to explain away what i believe to be my calling i came across a program with a former JW and his shrink ... It was interesting to hear the shrink say that former JW's are still ever preoccupied with ...

- the ever presence of God's eye on us ...
- a gnawing sense of our supposing to do ...
- a strong fear of sinning and not being perfect before Him ...
- His wrath and judgment ...

After hearing this i tried to convince myself that my calling was just a reaction to the mental and emotional rigors of JW brainwashing, but our Lord soon freed me from this escape plan too ... But what he has replaced in me is that these concerns formerly birthed out of fear of Him is now birthed out of love for Him ... One of the major things that struck me soon after coming out of JW to His church was the small, or even total lack of concern for such matters ... For myself being under the law bound doctrine of JW first, has given me much more of an appreciation for grace than had i been brought up in the Church ---

Sis D you wrote;
"I think that there are times when God simply wants us to go ahead and make choices rather than wait for instructions to fall from heaven, or doors to open automatically. We can be paralysed by a fear of making choices."

--- Amen, fearful is me on the big choices which i only make after serious prayer doused in excess of Jas. 4:13-15 ... My personality trait is primary: melancholy (gifted and fear motivated) with a choleric (anger motivated) secondary ... This means i'm a real slow starter in big decision making, but once i come to conclusion of direction i go at it with a vengeance (because the fear factor has been eliminated) ... i would say that many think i'm overly dependant on God, and yes i do wait often for instruction to fall from heaven, and doors to open automatically ... i also think that because of my inate dependancy on Him God does often make the latter happen for me, case in point with the purchase of the car He's given me ... Wow did he make that usually gut wrenching event a breeze ---

Sis D you wrote;
"But the important thing I needed to learn was that God’s bigger purposes are in his hands, and I will not topple his program that easily. Even though I loved God, I still needed to learn the love of a far bigger God… and still do."

--- Amen on daily learning His even bigger love ... Now regarding His purpose i already knew i couldn't topple it ... My only concerns in this arena is to be sure that what i believe to be my calling is in and of help to His purpose, for the thing that i never want to be is a hindrance ... i totally fear being in God's way! ---

Sis D you finished;
"The bigger God is, the smaller I am. Rahman, God gave me the same message as you about the "i" - about 7 years ago in a vision of a capital "I" being knocked out and replaced by a small "i". That was cool!"

--- Sis D i'm not trying to be facetious here, but i have to ask if He's shown you about the small "i" then why do you still write in "I"? ... Since He instructed me regarding such i come to even visualize myself as "i" (it's done wonders for my temper reaction) ... In fact in my e-mails i've been asked by folk why i refer to myself in lowercase, especially at the start of a sentence ... It's opened up the way to witness on more than few occasions ...

Blessings in Christ Jesus!!!

2006/5/11 11:43Profile
roadsign

Re: the small i

rahman asked:

Quote:
if He's shown you about the small "i" then why do you still write in "I"?

Good question!
It never occurred to me. Dah…
It violates my conscience, ie my preprogrammed internalized grammatical rules.
It feels wrong.
It looks wrong.
It looks like the writer is lazy. (Ooops – prejudging here, right?)
The apostle Paul didn’t do that (well, at least not in the KJV)
My word documents won’t let me, and that’s where I do most of my writing.

God has infinitely more creative and more effective ways of decreasing the “I”. Blaaaaah!:oops:

And furthermore, if I start now, I’d just be copying someone else. … not a good motive, right?

How’s that for an answer?

Quote:
.. It's opened up the way to witness on more than few occasions ...

This is great! Keep it up and may God bless you! And I will continue doing my decreasing every Sunday at church when I cover myself with my robe.
Diane

2006/5/11 12:50Profile
Rahman

Re:

Sis D you wrote;
"How’s that for an answer?"

--- Yep, i can certainly identify with all the reasons you gave ... But i just can't resist this reply :-D ...

Do what you want ... :-P

2006/5/11 15:00Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy