SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Love God. THEN do what you want.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

DomSpencer wrote:
Quote:
I think this one is scarier you all ~ Will you lose your salvation if you don't ~

That's just mischievous!!!!!!

Dom

You may think or say so Dom, but did you read the whole thread ?

I posted that last year. Nothing mischievous about it ... but just bouncing off of some of the same responses that came up top of this thread to get maybe some serious thinking going by anyone who 'read' that whole thread that I linked to Dom.

Did you read that thread ?

I just finished reading it again for the - I don't know how many times now.

His Love to you.

Annie

2006/4/26 13:13
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Sure, love God and do what you want.

If you love God you will do what He wants.

So, love God and do what you want, if doing what you want is what He wants.

:-P

2006/4/26 14:43Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Sounds solid to me PreachParsly! :-)

I can think up one exception:

If one would change the definition of love to suit his/her own interrests/motives.

[edit]Now I think of this, even though this quote would do no harm people could easiliy misunderstand it.

[edit2]One could easily put his/her own interpretation on it that is either biblically or unbiblically. Personally I think its a bad idea to use this quote without any explanation.

2006/4/26 15:01Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Love God, then do what you want

When I hear the phrase "do what you want" I immediately think of our relativistic society and that whole moral wasteland. However, I guess this quote taken as a whole from a Christian perspective could fit in with the following...
Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
(Psa 37:4)
I believe the giving of the desires of the heart there refers not just to requests being granted but to the willingness that God gives us to do His will.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/4/26 15:26Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

Isn't it intriguing how this scripture appears to us one way when we first look at it...but upon further reflection it completely inverts.

First we notice that the desires of our hearts will be affected and influenced simply by 'delighting thyself also in the Lord.'

But more subtlely, and perhaps more importantly, we notice that the emphasis is not so much on the object "desires of our hearts" but on the process "he shall give thee the desires..." In the end it's not so much about the desires we started out with...but the new desires he has given...placed in our hearts.

And so the verse ends where it began. Jesus is really the deepest desire of our hearts.

MC

2006/4/26 15:44Profile
Scroggins

Dallas, TX

Re:

WOW MC Bro... Just WOW... Amen, enough said.

2006/4/26 16:08Profile
roadsign

Re: "want to" or "aught to"

Quote:
Isn't it intriguing how this scripture appears to us one way when we first look at it...but upon further reflection it completely inverts.

Most, I suspect, when they read scripture are seeing this:

[size=xx-small]love God[/size] and do what you are OBLIGATED to do.

Is God thrilled with that kind of life? Is that not the way the pharisees made choices?

Is worship not the expression our deepest DESIRES? I'm not talking about stuff that happens in the church service. I'm talking about our entire lives.

This thread topic sprang out of a discussion I'm having with Rahman about creative expression of art/music/writing etc. I believe that authentic creativity comes from our "want to" not an "aught to".

Apply this to everything we do in life - and how do you think it would work?

Diane

2006/4/26 16:54Profile
seekup

Re:

[edit]Now I think of this, even though this quote would do no harm people could easiliy misunderstand it.

[edit2]One could easily put his/her own interpretation on it that is either biblically or unbiblically. Personally I think its a bad idea to use this quote without any explanation.

Warrior4jah,
Great point, I think this speaks to the origional post, best. There are a lot of very strong Christians posting great and thoughtful stuff here. But, consider how this would effect a new Christian or a person who is still deciding. I've heard variations of this statement taken to extremes.

Love God, then do what you want.

To a Christian it would mean the same as what all of the other post are saying, but to a someone else it could mean that as long as they think they love God, they can do what ever their heart desires (of the flesh) and everything will be groovy. To one who lacks a supportive body of faithful friends and teachers to help them better understand this statement, it could be dangerous and destructive. I pray that the Lord will send, to those who will consider this statement, faithful teachers like the brothers and sisters posting here. God Bless you all!
Chris

2006/4/26 17:21Profile
seekup

Re:

oops.. sorry about the double post. I had a page loading problem. Commentator could you delete one for me. thanks Chris. p.s. can I delete my own post if this happens again?

2006/4/26 17:23Profile
Compton

Re: An example in Bach

Quote:
I believe that authentic creativity comes from our "want to" not an "aught to"...Apply this to everything we do in life - and how do you think it would work?

Hopefully I understand your direction here...

I suppose we could consider J S Bach's example of both art and life. Here was a man whose life was not characterized by a desire for fame or stardom but instead by a deep, personal belief in the gospel of grace. In fact his drive to create a musico-theological art form might even seem mystical measured by modern acedemic protestantism. So when he could have been dishing out merely technically proficient music with the appropriate religous text, or seeking the patronage of kings by writing dazzling Baroque showpieces he instead created a body of worship music so profound in it's technical and spiritual expression that he altered the course of western music.

I bring Bach up because he is an example of a Christian whose life’s priorities were organized along the great theme: Glorifying God. Today we are suspicious of achievement because we associate it with vanity but Bach’s "greatness" was not inspired by the hope of fame or fortune in his day. In all likelihood he was not counting on the average Christian at his church to understand the musical allegories he built into his compositions. Indeed, it is doubtful any of the churchgoers who first heard music like St. Matthews Passion really assimilated all they were hearing that day. To paraphrase a modern song title, Bach was writing music for “an audience of one.”

Perhaps, of all of the gifts and genius Bach demonstrated, none was as important as his humble belief in excellence and hard work. He once told a student, "Just practice diligently, and it will go very well."

Even at age 65, he didn’t seem to want to rest on his laurels. Not long after being hired as the high profile “Kapellmeister” of the court of Prince Leopold; he soon resigned because he found the regal environment distracting to him. He accepted a lowly position as cantor at a church in Leipzig, where he could continue creating worship music without fanfare from the world. Bach reminded me of the quote from “Chariots of Fire…”When I run I can feel God’s pleasure.” Bach said, "Music's only purpose should be the glory of God and the recreation of the human spirit."

As he was dying from infirmity, his children were complaining that his church was already busy replacing him with the next music minister. He was forgotten for over a hundred years until Mendelssohn dusted off a Bach composition for a concert. Today Bach is accepted widely as the benchmark of supreme excellence for polyphony and counterpoint studies, whether you want to be a church organist or a jazz saxophonist. I believe his counterpoint was more then mere technical mastery…he was weaving the radical new tenants of Lutheran theology into not only the text of his cantatas, but also the construction of his music. (There is an interesting scholarly book called Analyzing Bach Cantatas that explores how Bach’s musicology was ultimately driven by his theology.)

Bach was famous for signing his music scores with the epitaph “For the glory of God.” If I am a businessman, could I, in my heart, sign my business plan accordingly? Jonathan Edwards once challenged businessmen to manage their business affairs for the benelovence of others, and not for what he called "commercial justice." Strange words indeed! In whatever I do, could I “sign” it for the Glory of God?

This is how I am trying to understand loving God in relation to how we think, create, and act in all areas of this life..."secular" or "Christian."

MC

2006/4/26 18:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy