SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Love God. THEN do what you want.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Love God. THEN do what you want.

" Love God, then do what you want." I heard this somewhere once.

Is this foolish advice or wise counsel?

Whad'ya think? Why?

Diane

2006/4/26 8:48Profile
DomSpencer

Hull, East Yorkshire, England

Re: Love God, then do what you want

23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. 24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.

John 14:22-24 (New King James Version)

If I love Him, I will, as a matter of course, do what He wants. He will make His home in me, and will lead me into all He wants me to do.

Nice one, Diane! This should be a go-er!

I just put your e-book about Entering God's Rest on my favourites.

The River's flowing from your heart, that's for sure!

Dom

2006/4/26 8:59Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

" Love God, then do what you want." :-D

1John 5:2,3 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Was this really a serious question? Wow, that's scary...

2006/4/26 10:26Profile
roadsign

Re: serious/scary/what else?

Quote:
Was this really a serious question? Wow, that's scary...

It is an actual quote (I don't know the source) - that I feel deserves our thoughts.

Why is the question scary?

Diane

2006/4/26 10:43Profile

Re:

I think this one is scarier you all ~

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=6655&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go]Will you lose your salvation if you don't ~[/url]

:-D

2006/4/26 11:42
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

I believe it was Saint Augustine, but I don't know what work of his it was in. Maybe "confessions" I'm not a big Augustine reader though.

2006/4/26 11:42Profile
DomSpencer

Re:

I don't think this question is scary - I think it's essential. It's so easy to slip into legalism - and legalism brings a curse! NO THANK YOU.

I think it's vital to have tender hearts toward the Lord in our experience of His Presence, and from that experience will flow an obedience that is born of LIFE not just our own effort. Jesus is the centre of our lives, not just the written Word. Of course His Word is perfect, but His Word expresses Him, and we have a relationship with Him, not the Bible. He brings light to our hearts through the Word, but those words can also be a tool for darkness.

So it's not quite as simple as just quoting Jesus saying love for God is keeping His commandments - we need to know HOW. That's why He gave us the Apostle Paul and John - there was more to say....about the Law, the Holy Spirit and the nature of God's love for us, and ours for Him.

I could talk about this for months and years, and never exhaust it. Lord give me revelation of what it means to love you, and how much You love me. Amen.

Dom

2006/4/26 11:57Profile
DomSpencer

Re:

Quote:
I think this one is scarier you all ~ Will you lose your salvation if you don't ~

That's just mischievous!!!!!!

Dom

2006/4/26 12:00Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Quote:
Why is the question " Love God, then do what you want." scary?

I saw this Diane as a way to have Jesus and have it my own way too but the more I think about it, if I love Jesus, I will want His way (not my will but thy will be done). I will want whatever He wants because my life will not be separate from His. I will want to deny myself take up my cross and follow Jesus simply because I love Him.

There's much more wisdom in this statement, then I initially saw. My apologies Diane. :-)

2006/4/26 12:01Profile
Compton

Re: Love God, then do what you want

Great question Diane,

We live in a cynical age and it is easy to read the question you posted with quotation marks around the word "Love"...as if we are winking at each other about a secret loophole for lawlessness.

However if we take the statement literally and without irony it is rather brilliant I think. It is putting the horse before the cart so to speak. Perhaps it can even be used as a commentary on “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength; and love your neighbor as yourself.”

So many scriptures point out the supremacy of loving God first in our hearts. Why? Because this is the supreme duty and requirement for salvation? No. I think such a conclusion seems like a rather stiff-necked response...instead loving God is the surrender of our wills, the trust of of our futures, and the santification or devotion of our lives for his pleasure and benifit. It is not to be a chore...in fact the words duty and law imply self-effort when in fact love can be quite spontaneous and unconscious.

Regarding the pure impulse of love verses mere outward conforming to the 10 commandments I have always found it fascninating that Jesus told his desciples in the upper room "A new commandment I give unto you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another." This was an incredibly important moment for the infant Church...Jesus was separating his people under a new commandment and one that I believe is vitally linked to the new birth according to the Spirit as opposed to the old man striving under the law.

Put the horse in front of the cart, and the cart will fllow.

MC

2006/4/26 13:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy