SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Azusa Street?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Azusa Street?

This is an article I found on Worldnetdaily.com.
What do you guys think about the speakers at this event?

TD Jakes, Paula White, I even heard that Benny Hinn will be there.

A couple of Pastors I know are going to be there. I pray they have discernment during this event. One even said he might return "drunk in the holy ghost"

NNNOOOOTTTTT AAAAGGGAAAAIIIIINNNNN!!!!!!

Azusa Street – 100 years later
Centennial of L.A. revival to be commemorated next month

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: March 18, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Tens of thousands of Christians will gather next month in downtown Los Angeles to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Azusa Street revival.

In April 1906, the Los Angeles Times reported that a new "fanatic" religious sect gathered on Azusa Street in Los Angeles and babbled in a weird tongue.

Spiritually hungry people met together, both whites and blacks, to receive "an outpouring of the Holy Spirit" April 9, 1906, in the Azusa Street Revival. Pentecostals today credit the development of the modern Pentecostal and charismatic movement to the revival. The movement played a major role in world evangelism during the 20th century. Prominent theologians deem the event the "birthplace of the Pentecostal movement."

Many denominations were born from the Pentecostal movement, such as the Church of God in Christ, Assemblies of God and the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel.

Tens of thousands of people from all over the world are expected to take part in the Centennial Celebration revival from April 25-29. The event will be "a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience the reflection and reality of the world's greatest revival," according to Rev. Billy Wilson, executive officer of the Azusa Street Centennial. "The various streams of the movement are coming together in an unprecedented way."

The highlights of the event include: an Azusa believers convention, rallies commemorating William Seymour (the leader of the Azusa revival), women in ministry services, an international revival series, a U.S. pastors conference, a prophetic conference, an international pastors training conference, a Spirit-filled gathering of Native Americans, an international youth convocation and a host of other auxiliary meetings held in conjunction with the centennial.

The organizers of the nearly weeklong event have booked the largest venues in Los Angeles, including the Los Angeles Convention Center, the Sports Arena, West Angeles Church of God in Christ and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Also, the largest Pentecostal and charismatic churches in the Los Angeles area will host sessions during the week and take part in the event.

On Saturday, April 29, attendees and local ministries will reach out to the community by distributing dozens of truckloads full of clothing and food for the less fortunate in the area. The distribution promises to be the largest one-day compassion-oriented outreach in American history.

More than 150 Pentecostal leaders from all over the world are going to be teaching or preaching. Some of the confirmed guests include: Bishop T.D. Jakes of The Potter's House in Dallas; Rev. Paula White of the Church Without Walls in Tampa, Fla.; Rev. Jack Hayford of Living Way Ministries in Van Nuys, Calif.; and Pastor Kenneth Copeland of Kenneth Copeland Ministries in Fort Worth, Texas.

"As it was at Azusa Street, personalities will fade into insignificance as all glory is given to God," Wilson said. "This will be a time of unparalleled blessing, ministry and renewal that we hope will be the launching pad into an even greater second century of Pentecostal revival."

The event has been declared an official U.S. State Department event. People from 74 nations are registered to attend the Centennial.

The event is not only being endorsed by Pentecostal leaders but by evangelicals also. Ted Haggard, the president National Association of Evangelicals, will be speaking, as well as Rick Warren, the author of the best-selling book, "The Purpose Driven Life."

2006/4/24 14:40Profile

Re: A bunch of gathered Quotes.

[b]From MeAgain - Being Pro-Spirit Baptism & Gifts but freaked by Azusa Street.[/b]

Wesley and others before him were also called the fathers of pentecostalism.
Even some we never knew about.

[i]There is another factor to Lloyd-Jones’s ministry besides the almost stern Puritanism of his preaching. Christians, he began to teach, should experience the baptism of the Holy Spirit. His teaching on “the baptism” was similar to that advocated by Dr. R.A. Torrey, and Dr. A.J. Gordon, who also departed from the mainstream of evangelical teaching on the subject. Lloyd-Jones also opposed the standard-brand Reformed teaching that the gifts of the Spirit have in large measure ceased after the apostolic age. He was quite blunt about it, saying, “The Scriptures never anywhere say that these things were only temporary--never! All the gifts are under the sovereignty of the Spirit. He decides when and how and where.” [/i]

The well-known evangelist, the late Dr. George T.B. Davis wrote:

[i]Dr. R.A. Torrey is cited by Pentecostals with particular frequency and is of unusual significance to Pentecostalism in connection with the Spirit’s baptism. Through a world-wide evangelistic tour with Charles Alexander in 1904 Torrey, then president of the evangelically influential Moody Bible Institute, spread among believers in many places the message of the Spirit’s subsequent baptism, and hence served as a kind of John the Baptist figure for later international Pentecostalism. Judging from the movement’s literature, Dr. Torrey was, after John Wesley and Charles Finney, the most influential figure in the pre-history of Pentecostalism.

Pentecostalism found in Torrey’s theology of the Spirit a special affinity. Dr. Donald Gee, one of Pentecostalism’s foremost theologians, says that “it was, perhaps, Dr. R.A. Torrey who first gave the teaching of the baptism of the Holy Ghost a new, and certainly more scriptural and doctrinally correct, emphasis on the line of ‘power from on high,’ [u]especially for service and witness.[/u]”[/i]

As for Dr. A.J. Gordon, in his book The Ministry of the Holy Spirit (Forwarded by Dr. F.B. Meyer), he wrote,

[i]It seems clear from the Scriptures that it is still the duty and privilege of believers to receive the Holy Spirit by a conscious, definite act of appropriating faith, just as we receive Jesus Christ.[/i]

About Torrey - written by his Grandson

[i]When he conducted campaigns, the evening services were always evangelistic, directed toward winning sinners to the Saviour. But the mid-day meetings (morning or afternoon) were directed to Christian workers to introduce them to the "Power of Prayer and the Prayer of Power," or the "Baptism With the Holy Spirit." No one saw anything wrong with Torrey's approach until the Azusa Street Revival, when God poured out the Holy Spirit on a very mixed group of hungry seekers of different races and colors but all of poor working class backgrounds with no formal theological training. After that, many of Torrey's associates (who became, in time the ":evangelical movement") pled with him not to use the terminology of "Baptism with the Holy Spirit," but only to talk about being "filled" with the Spirit. Torrey replied, "The Bible talks about the baptism with the Holy Spirit and I will talk about the Baptism of the Holy Spirit." He became the only one of the evangelical movement to use that terminology. My own Bible study has shown me how correct he was: there are two Greek words for "filled" in the book of Acts, and one refers to the baptism in the Holy Spirit and one refers to something quite different, the infilling of the Holy Spirit in order to bear fruit with no reference to power for ministry.[/i]

[b]Torrey, etc. statements about Azusa Street.[/b]

G. Campbell Morgan described the Azusa Street activities as "the last vomit of Satan." ("From Holy Laughter to Holy Fire" by Michael L. Brown, pages 197&198)

By the time the 1900’s came, the doctrine of the baptism in the Holy Spirit for enduement of power was well established. It is said that people like A. B. Simpson, A. J. Gordon, Jessie Penn-Lewis, R. A. Torrey and D. L. Moody all believed in the baptism in the Holy Spirit and all professed to have been baptized in the Holy Spirit.
R.A. Torrey declared that this new Pentecostal movement {at Azusa St.} was [b]"emphatically not of God, and founded by a Sodomite."[/b] ("From Holy Laughter to Holy Fire" by Michael L. Brown, pages 197&198)

H. A. Ironside said in 1912 AD both the holiness and Pentecostal movements were
"disgusting. . .delusions and insanities." ... "pandemonium's where exhibitions worthy of a madhouse or a collection of howling dervishes," were causing a "heavy toll of lunacy and infidelity." ("From Holy Laughter to Holy Fire" by Michael L. Brown, pages 197&198)

W.B. Godbey said of the Azusa Street participants and he claimed the movement was the result of spiritualism."Satan's preachers, jugglers, necromancers, enchanters, magicians, and all sorts or mendicants," ("From Holy Laughter to Holy Fire" by Michael L. Brown, pages 197&198)

Clarence Larkin
"But the conduct of those possessed, in which they fall to the ground and writhe in contortions, causing disarrangement's of the clothing and disgraceful scenes, is more a characteristic of demon possession, than a work of the Holy Spirit. From what has been said we see that we are living in "Perilous Times," and that all about us are "Seducing Spirits," and that they will become more active as the Dispensation draws to its close, and that we must exert the greatest care lest we be led astray." ("From Holy Laughter to Holy Fire" by Michael L. Brown, pages 197&198)

[b][u]HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF in 2006. [/u][/b]

Frank Bartleman spent much of his time in prayer, giving tracts out and preaching. He received from God in 1905 the following keynote to revival: “The depth of revival will be determined exactly by the depth of the spirit of repentance”, and this, he said, “will obtain by all people at all times”.

He said that there was much rattle in the camp. Most were seeking selfish blessings. They rushed to meetings like a big sponge, to get more blessing. They needed stepping on.

Frank Bartleman and those he was with were seeking revival not tongues, in fact by February 1906 they hadn’t even thought about tongues.

He believed that a body must be prepared in repentance and humility, for every outpouring of the Spirit.

Right from the beginning, he said, the enemy did much counterfeiting. Satan will always mingle with the genuine revival in order to discredit it and destroy it.

When they first started meeting at Azusa Street, discernment was not perfect and the enemy got some advantage. The devil scoured the country for crooked spirits to destroy the work if possible.

They didn’t mind outside persecution but had the most to fear from the working of evil spirits within. Spiritualists and hypnotists came to investigate and try their influence. Then all the religious sore-heads, crooks and cranks came.

A spiritualist woman started to lead the singing so he prayed her out. Then a fanatical minister with a voice that rattled the windows took over the whole meeting. Frank rebuked him openly. The first time he opened the church he found one of the worst fanatics and religious crooks in town sitting on the steps waiting for him. He was a preacher and wanted to run things, Frank chased him from the place. Crooks and cranks were the first at the meeting, there was much professional, religious quackery. What was needed to create a spiritual atmosphere was humility and prayer.

At the beginning of Azusa Street there was a wonderful group of seasoned veterans who had already been walking with God and had learnt the things of the Spirit. Alas, now there was a mixed multitude who had come from all over to get on the bandwagon. The seeds of apostasy now had time to work. In many cases there were Babylonian doctrines and practices.

It is an indisputable fact that Parham (the said starter of it Event) rejected several of the central tenets of the Christian faith and that he was charged with sodomy in Texas. It is also a fact according to many eyewitnesses (including Parham) that Azusa was overrun with spiritualist mediums and hypnotists who were attracted to the Azusa manifestations.

After reading some more objective insights into Azusa I must confess that I doubt it was a genuine move of the Holy Spirit at all.

Its roots come from a man who was heretical, it attracted people involved in the occult and people who did not have a vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ.

Keep in mind when people "feel" dry or "hungry" it usually indicates that people are not in right relationship with Christ, something is lacking in their walk . . .and it is not the lack of the Spirit.

More times than not it is a lack of sound doctrine and a lack of acting on the teaching they have received.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go figure
:-(

2006/4/24 17:39

Re: CAN WE TAKE A POLL ?

I never noticed if we had Poll Taking capabilities on here, but I'd love to take a poll and ask ...

Do you think the following is from God ... Yes or No ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The focal point of the early Pentecostal revival which began in 1906 was the Apostolic Faith Mission at 312 Azusa Street in Los Angeles, California. Continuous meetings were held there every day for a period of three years beginning in mid-April, 1906. This mission on Azusa Street published the well-known newspaper, The Apostolic Faith, which was one of the primary means by which news of the revival was spread, beginning with the first issue, published in September of 1906. The editor was William J. Seymour. The Apostolic Faith contains many accounts of shaking, falling, speechlessness, drunkenness in the Spirit, and Holy Laughter which took place during the early Pentecostal revival at Azusa Street and elsewhere during the first few years of the revival. It would be impossible to do an exhaustive study of this topic in the space of a short article, but here are some representative quotations:

SHAKING AND TREMBLING
The lead article of the third issue of The Apostolic Faith, published in November of 1906, is entitled "Bible Pentecost." Here are a few excerpts:

The news has spread far and wide that Los Angeles is being visited with a "rushing mighty wind from heaven." . . . One brother stated that even before his train entered the city, he felt the power of the revival. . . . There is such power in the preaching of the Word in the Spirit that people are shaken on the benches. Coming to the altar, many fall prostrate under the power of God, and often come out speaking in tongues. Sometimes the power falls on people and they are wrought upon by the Spirit during testimony or preaching and receive Bible experiences. . . . The demonstrations are not the shouting, clapping or jumping so often seen in camp meetings. There is a shaking such as the early Quakers had and which the old Methodists called the "jerks."

On the second page of the same issue, Glen A. Cook provided his testimony, in which he wrote:

I could feel the power going through me like electric needles. The Spirit taught me that I must not resist the power but give way and become limp as a piece of cloth. When I did this, I fell under the power, and God began to mold me and teach me what it meant to be really surrendered to Him. I was laid out under the power five times before Pentecost really came. Each time I would come out from under the power, I would feel so sweet and clean, as though I had been run through a washing machine. . . . My arms began to tremble, and soon I was shaken violently by a great power, and it seemed as though a large pipe was fitted over my neck, my head apparently being off. . . . About thirty hours afterwards, while sitting in the meeting on Azusa Street, I felt my throat and tongue begin to move, without any effort on my part. Soon I began to stutter and then out came a distinct language which I could hardly restrain. I talked and laughed with joy far into the night.

In the fourth issue (p. 4), G. W. Batman wrote, "I received the baptism with the Holy Ghost and fire and now I feel the presence of the Holy Ghost, not only in my heart but in my lungs, my hands, my arms and all through my body and at times I am shaken like a locomotive steamed up and prepared for a long journey."

William H. Durham recorded his testimony in the sixth issue of The Apostolic Faith (February-March, 1907), p. 4, where he wrote:

On Friday evening, March 1, His mighty power came over me, until I jerked and quaked under it for about three hours. It was strange and wonderful and yet glorious. He worked my whole body, one section at a time, first my arms, then my limbs, then my body, then my head, them my face, then my chin, and finally at 1 a.m. Saturday, Mar. 2, after being under the power for three hours, He finished the work on my vocal organs, and spoke through me in unknown tongues.

R. J. Scott, the superintendent of Home and Foreign Missions in Winnipeg, Manitoba, wrote as follows in The Apostolic Faith (February-March, 1907), p. 7:

After a trip of nearly 3500 miles, we arrived in Los Angeles on Sunday morning, Nov. 29. I left my family at a hotel and proceeded with my son on a search for Azusa Mission. After I was there a short time, a lady got up and testified, and the power of God fell on her and she began to tremble. . . . Well, glory to God, after this sister trembled for a few minutes, she started to speak in an unknown tongue to me, and to my surprise, after she had uttered a few sentences, she spoke in English, giving the interpretation of what she said.

In the same issue (p. 8), Clara E. Lum of the Azusa Street Mission wrote:

When I came to Azusa Mission, I went in for the baptism with the Holy Ghost immediately. Had some digging to do, but the Lord met me. I was filled with the Holy Ghost many times and was shaken many times by the power of God.

In a report from San Francisco that appeared in issue no. 7 (April, 1907), p. 4, we read:

The power of God shook her so mightily that an elderly lady friend, who had accompanied her to the meetings, was greatly agitated and excited about it; she declared that sister was having a fit, and said something ought to be done to relieve her. When told that it was the power of God, and that the sister would come out all right, she looked incredulous, and flew around in great excitement. Evidently she had not seen it on this wise before. The sister did not return to the meetings until Saturday night. . . . The sister was again shaken by the mighty power of God. Her husband was sitting by her side, and was evidently amazed; yet he recognized it as the power of God, though not saved himself, he did not resist the power of God, nor try to hinder his wife. When his wife went to the altar, still shaking under the mighty power of God, he sat quietly in his seat, deeply moved by what was going on.

On the same page of that issue, there was a report from Spokane, Washington, according to which "little children received their baptism and spoke in different languages. One Methodist minister and one Advent minister received the baptism, and before they spoke in tongues shook for some hours under the power of God."

SPEECHLESSNESS
In vol. 1, no. 5 (January 1907), p. 1, we read: "One who received the Holy Ghost baptism in Clearwater, testified, 'It was in morning worship. We read a chapter and I wanted to pray but the Lord tied my mouth. The power began to come in waves. The Lord took full possession. I fell over like a dead man. I was dead to the world. I tried to pray while lying on the floor, but when my tongue was loosened, it was in a different language."

In issue no. 7 (April, 1907), p. 4, the following was reported from San Francisco:

On another night a Hawaiian brother was gloriously converted. . . . The Hawaiian could not speak for some minutes after he arose to his feet, the power of God was upon him to such an extent.

PREACHING BECOMES IMPOSSIBLE
One of the problems that people had to face during the early Pentecostal revival was that, very often, they were affected so strongly by the power of the Holy Spirit that preaching became impossible. For example, in the December, 1906 issue of The Apostolic Faith (vol. 1, no. 4), p. 3, the following announcement appeared:

Sister M. E. Judy writes from Columbus, Ohio, that they have a tarrying meeting there and others in different towns are tarrying with them in Spirit. She says, "Last Sunday a burden of prayer came upon the people in our humble little church in such power that our minister had no opportunity to preach, just said a few word on "This is that" and closed.

Writing from Norway, A. A. Body wrote concerning T. B. Barrat's meetings that "the meetings are liable at any moment to be swept by a wave of spiritual power sweeping through all human arrangements. At time the noise is strangely awesome, almost appalling to an 'outsider'" (The Apostolic Faith, vol. 1, No. 6 [February-March, 1907], p. 1).

UNABLE TO MOVE
Levi R. Lupton wrote as follows from Alliance, Ohio, in the sixth issue of The Apostolic Faith (February-March, 1907), p. 5:

I then became perfectly helpless and for a season my entire body became cold, and I was unable to move even to the extent that I could not wink an eye for a short time. Yet, I was perfectly conscious and restful in my soul and mind. After some three hours the power of God left my body except in my shoulders and arms, which remained stiff during the entire time I was upon the floor.

DRUNKENNESS IN THE SPIRIT
Myrtle K. Shideler wrote as follows in the January, 1907 issue of THE The Apostolic Faith (p. 3):

By the time the chorus ended, the power of God was so heavy upon me. I could scarcely open my mouth, and every fibre of my being was trembling. Yet my feet felt glued to the floor and my knees stiff, so I could not sit down. I only got out a few broken sentences that I remember. (I never fainted in my life and was never unconscious, but God certainly took me out of myself.) He showed me things which there are not words enough in the English language to express. . . . I was under the power the remainder of the meeting, and for three days was as one drunken. . . . Since then, such waves of power roll over me from time to time. I can scarcely keep my feet, and I am sure if my old friends in California could see me, they would think I was indeed insane.

Here's a report that appeared in The Apostolic Faith, vol. 1, no. 10 (September, 1907):

Missionaries in China have been seeking the baptism with the Holy Ghost ever since they received the first Apostolic Faith papers from Los Angeles. One dear missionary, Brother B. Berntsen from South Chih-li, Tai-Ming-Fu, North China came all the way to Los Angeles to receive his Pentecost. And, bless God, he went to the altar at Azusa Mission, and soon fell under the power, and arose drunk on the new wine of the kingdom, magnifying God in a new tongue.

THROWN TO THE FLOOR
On January 29, 1907, T. B. Barratt wrote from Chistiania, Norway that "One man was thrown on his back, a preacher, last Sunday morning in the Students' Hall, and when he rose, he spoke in four languages, one of these was English. He could speak none of them before" (The Apostolic Faith, vol. 1, No. 6 [February-March, 1907], p. 1).

John Barclay, a policeman from Carlton, Melbourne, Australia, wrote in the May, 1908 issue (vol. II, no. 12): "Presently some mighty, marvelous unseen power took hold of me, and I was thrown downward on the floor. Everything around me disappeared. The other friends were as if they never existed. I saw the heavens opened and my previous Jesus sitting on the throne. . . . [At another meeting,] about 1 o'clock a.m., a brother laid hands on me, and I received my baptism. My hands, arms, and whole body trembled greatly and I was thrown on the floor. All the others were praising the Lord."

HOLY LAUGHTER
A. S. Copley of Cambridge, Ohio, was quoted by The Apostolic Faith (January 1907), p. 4, as follows about a meeting that had taken place on December 8, 1906 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hebden in Toronto: "One young woman . . . laughed incessantly for hours and hours. Sometimes she speaks in a tongue while at her work."

Henry Prentiss reported as follows in the May, 1907 issue (vol. 1, no. 8, p. 4):

We went to the meeting where Bro. Blassco is. The Lord wonderfully blest in the service, and one precious sinner was saved, sanctified and baptized with the Holy Ghost. The Lord filled her mouth with holy laugher and she spoke in new tongues and has been under His power ever since, filled with joy and gladness.

he following month, A. A. Body wrote from England as follows (vol. 1, no. 9, p. 1):

The next morning the Holy Ghost came in mighty power, causing me to laugh as I had never done in my life.

A. A. Body's wife wrote something very similar in a later issue (vol. 1, no. 11 [October 1907 to January 1908], p. 1):

After a long time of silent waiting upon Him, God gave me a wonderful vision of Christ in the glory at the right hand of the Father, and from Him came a wonderful light on to me, causing me to laugh as I had never done before.

Here's another example, from vol II, NO. 13 (May, 1908), p. 4:

Then the power fell. There were times when we were all shouting, screaming and laughing together under the power of the Spirit.

A WARNING ABOUT INTERFERING WITH THESE MANIFESTATIONS
The ninth issue of The Apostolic Faith (September, 1907), p. 4, published a warning from Kedgaon, India, about attempts to suppress manifestations of this kind:

We do not need to worry over these manifestations, nor seek to suppress them. it is fruit in the life and service that we want to see [Emphasis in the original]. These manifestations do not hinder fruit-bearing but we have seen over and over again during the past fifteen months, that where Christian workers have suppressed these manifestations, the Holy Spirit has been grieved, the work has stopped, and no fruit of holy lives has resulted. Who are we to dictate to an all-wise God as to how He shall work in anyone? When the Spirit is poured out upon anyone in strong conviction, why should be well them that it is wrong to cry? Because among idolaters the devil imitates the trembling caused by the Holy Spirit when He comes in so as to overpower the physical, why should we say that the person has worked it up or is possessed by an evil spirit? The writer testifies that she has in the silence of the midnight hour, alone in her room without a sound in the house, been shaken from her innermost being, until her whole body was convulsed, and filled with joy and consciousness that the Holy Spirit had taken possession of every part of her being. No one had greater prejudice against religious excitement that she, but every time she put her hands upon the work at Mukti to suppress joy or strong conviction, or reproved persons being strongly wrought upon in prayer, the work of revival stopped, and she had to confess her fault before it went on again.

2006/4/24 22:33
myke

North Carolina

Re:

Annie,

Here is what may be to some an interesting thought pertaining to the question of whether or not this is from God -- I Say Yes! -- but not in the manner some might would think.

2Th 2:3, 9-11 “Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;… Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:”

Notice: “God shall send”

I could quote many other verses of scripture that speak to the fact that God sends delusion or a spirit of slumber to those who are determined in having their way to the neglect of Him! If a people are more intent upon signs or manifestations than they are for the God of Glory Himself -- He will allow their hard hearts to have what they desire. This is in large part the peril of the last days -- depraved mankind continues downward in his pursuit of things, of creation, the things of this temporal life! Our God Who is absolutely Omniscient in His understanding; Omnipotent in power is not somehow being outdone or confused by some mass conspiracy on the part of the powers of darkness in these last days. He is accomplishing His sovereign purposes in the earth.

That being said, Isn’t it interesting that in today’s current environment of apostasy and declension most every facet of Pentecostalism -- liberal, conservative, charismatic, whatever the case may be is coming together around an historical event that is supposedly so vital to the Pentecostal/Charismatic world. Notice I said “coming together around an historical event”! I would concur with you Annie that there were questionable activities at Azusa St, and yes, that should raise serious suspicions in our thinking on these things. But, I further submit that there are serious issues present today – the very reason for the gathering itself in my opinion is off base! Think of it -- all these different streams of Pentecostalism, all the different leaders, all these different groups, organizations, denominations etc. all coming together in unity (even though many of those who will be leading this event teach and adhere to heresy) all for the cause of celebrating an event in history – the beginning of a revival, that gave birth to the Pentecostal Movement! You see, the reason for the unified celebration is not Biblical purity, truth or sound teaching-- it’s not even to come together for a seeking of brokenness and repentance…no, it’s to celebrate a MOVEMENT an EXPERIENCE! Forget sound teaching, the issue is the EXPERIENCE. Catholic, Prosperity Teachers, Word Faith, Oneness -- your doctrinal stand in these things aren’t important – it’s all about the experience! Then…Now…And in the Future! Do you see the problem here? It’s less and less about what is truth and more and more about something else! In this case, a movement, an experience!

I am concerned that out of this gathering there will be even less discernment among the Pentecostal ranks than there is now and that in many cases is limited at best. These are dangerous times! There are questionable issues with Azusa in the beginning and 100 years later -- it’s not any better! It seems that across the board in Christianity, truth and purity are less and less important. There is coming an anti-Christ who will establish his system and temporary reign on this faulty foundation. But there is Great Hope to them who believe and remain faithful to The Lord of Glory!

God Bless,

Myke

2006/4/25 1:31Profile

Re:

Well Myke, that makes two of us "pentecostals" who see it that way.

And tonite I went from Revival Site to Revival Site and all I found was exactly what you said and what's been freaking me. Myke, for 27 years I've been doing this apologetic/discernment research stuff ... but never have I had so much to happen or see pop up as in the last 3 years or so.

"Unity at the expense of doctrine." ... they actually said it just that way. I shortened it of course, but that is what they are all saying.
That "without this Unity, we won't have Revival", so we "have to come together - regardless"

Never in 30 years have I seen so many claiming to be Prophets, just for another thing.
Whole websites just for "The Prophetic" with multiple "prophecies" from multitudes of "prophets" and I tried to grasp how this has all happened just within the last few years, for the most part.

My background was AoG, so in AoG Bible College, we read about Azusa Street of course and I never questioned it until last year.
Then, because of the Internet ... that I didn't have until 6/02 ... I cannot believe all that is happening and so fast ... even just since 2002.

It's like things have accelerated at unprecedented speeds now.
I went off the net for two years, from 03 till 05. Then came back on last July and then went off again for a Sabbatical for 3 months.
Both times that I came back on, MORE STUFF was out there, that wasn't so before I went off.

This article I posted last, above yours came from
http://www.spiritjournals.org/revivalfire/index.html
which has as a main link on their links page
http://www.flameministries.org/newsmenu.htm

And that's like a drop in the bucket of the researching I've been doing for "Where is all of this leading to ?"

Yes, I know you know and I also know, but to draw the picture out clear enough is difficult to just plaster out there.

Sound Doctrine and Studying God's Word is the way I felt to post to that thread, because 'The Truth/His Word' is the only antidote to delusion or deception.

I've known we have been in the days of the great falling away/Apostasy for years now ... but if (and this is where I sweat) If "the strong delusion" has already been "sent" .... well, we are only talking to the remnant or elect anymore.
The rest will gnash teeth at you.

The Lord told me in 2003 to "gird up your heart - for you'll watch many fall into this deception and right now your heart could not take it - so get stronger". I cried but knew HE meant He'd help me to do so. But nevertheless, Love is Love. But He told me last year - "You have to LOVE TRUTH more than even people or friends or family - because I AM THE TRUTH."

I still take these things physically though.
I do have a few medical conditions, so maybe it's just because of those, but I doubt it.
To me, to Love as HE loves, (to any degree possible for a human to contain) HAS TO HURT, or else, it's not His Love for others.

The other scary thing that I noticed -- of all these countless new "prophets" out there --- is they are all basically saying the same thing ... no matter what website I went to or whether it was a Jesus-Only site or Ecumenical or Catholic Charismatic or Nominal Protestant ... they're all getting the same message and that's what's making my blood run cold, in the sense of, "IT'S HERE." When they all rise up with one voice, in the multitude and cry out one thing ... you know it's here.

Well - The JOY of the LORD 'HAS' to remain our strength and pray for all here. Amen.

In His Love.

Annie

2006/4/25 2:55

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy