Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Reply to "Is it godly to have fun?"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
teamtoucan

Queanbeyan, Canberra, NSW, Australia

A Reply to "Is it godly to have fun?"

God bless this morning after Easter to you all.

This is "teamtoucan"'s wife in response to the question along the lines of "is it godly to have fun?"

My perception is this: That God's work must be done with every particle of our being! The quote in the banner above by Henry Martyn is a wonderful example for us. Paul says in 2 Cori 12:15 "I will gladly spend myself and all I have for your spiritual good" (NLT). Jesus too is our supreme example.

When Jesus body was to be taken down from the cross, Pilot was so surprised that Jesus had died so quickly. We are not surprised however, because we know that for the previous weeks Jesus spent nights in prayer and days teaching in the temple. The night before He was betrayed He spent with his disciples, then followed it up with another night of prayer. Jesus must have been so physically exhausted from lack of sleep that He was already “spent”, but Jesus knew it would not be physical endurance that would see Him through to the cross, but spiritual.

Now, I do see importance of recuperation time! Jesus again is our example. Jesus wanted to take His disciples away from the crowds for a time of recuperation too. (Mark 6:31)

The Church of Satan has as its 8th principle this: Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.

Statement number 1 is: Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence.

Time to relax is necessary ~ however I would suggest careful self examination for any traces of self indulgence before embarking.

May the Lord help us in this very tricky area.

BTW, “fun” is not to be mistaken for self indulgence, making fun at others, or entering into course joking or language(Ephesians 5:4). We smile and laugh lots! God provides much entertainment in His natural world. For example, we observe the behaviours of His birds and other animals and we have plenty of chuckles, even as we are doing our Lord’s work.

For Jesus,
Misty :-)

2006/4/16 19:45Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy