SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jesus or the Easter Bunny?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Jesus or the Easter Bunny?

SI Members,

This is just a thought, but isn't it unbelievable the lengths Satan will go to get the focus off Jesus? First you have Christmas and Santa Claus (the giver of gifts and all knowing,ie.naughty or nice) and then Easter and the Easter Bunny.

I have two small children ages 4 and 2. My 4yr. old came home from kindergarten with bunny ears and easter eggs. It just made me think, would a small child want to hear a story about a man being beaten and nailed to a cross or about a fuzzy bunny that hops around bringing chocolate and toys.

It just seems to me the two most important events in history have been hijacked by a fat man in a red suit and a rabbit with a chocolate fix. I mean we are supposed to be focusing on the birth of our Saviour at Christmas and the crucifixion and resurrection of our Lord at Easter. Satan has been quite successful at getting people distracted and their focus off Jesus. Now with the allegation of Jesus walking on ice as opposed to water, the "gospel of Judas" and the film version of the Da Vinci Code. It has never been more apparent to me that we have a real enemy out there who is always working on deceiving us and our children.

I encourage all parents to spend more time with your kids and teach them about what our Lord did for us on Easter.

A Call to Persevere

But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit. But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life. Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear - hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy - to the only God our saviour be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen. Jude 17-25

Murray

2006/4/12 10:55Profile
repentcanada

Re: Jesus or the Easter Bunny?

It grieves my soul as to what Christ's passion and His glorious resurrection is now remember as by our nation, and as a church it is our fault.

2006/4/12 15:38Profile

Amen brother Murray.

Trace the roots of these two dates.

But they 'can' be used to speak and write about JESUS to people, like our family and friends who aren't saved, that WON'T listen or hear His Name mentioned or about Him, during the other 363 days out of the year. :-)

2006/4/12 16:04
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

I'm sure there are some people who like to find out what the real thing about Christmass and Easter is about. :-)

Everyone (hopefully) knows that Santa(be sure not to mix up some letters here) Claus and the easterbunny is not the real deal behind the hol-y-days.
Apart from that most simply don't care (if its about God). :-(

[edit]minor addition

2006/4/13 11:57Profile

Re:

I have to admit... I do love those Cadbury chocolate eggs... the small ones with the candy coating.

But alas, being a diabetic I have to have my wife hide them or I'll eat the entire bag. I eat very healthy 95% of the time, but thats one weakness I have.

Seriously tho, who cares what the world does? They are lost, and they will act like lost people. We shouldnt expect anything different. We dont have to participate in their foolishness. Thats why scripture exhorts us to [b]seperate[/b] from the world. It would be nice if the world would honor Christ... but it never has and never will.

Also, observing Easter or Christ-Mass doesnt make us more spiritual. Ignoring either holiday is not a sin. The NT makes it clear that the temple of God is not made of wood and stone, and we are [b]NOT[/b] more spiritual by observing feasts (holidays) or the Law.

So really... whats the big deal? We should celebrate Christ's birth, death & resurrection everyday!

Krispy

2006/4/13 13:47
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Hey KrispyKrittr,
:-) I really agree with (the last part especially of) your post. The best celebrating of these things is to act it every day of your life. Not saying that I do that at all flawlessly each day, there is much to be 'improved' in my life.

But at worse, if your life for Jesus is totally wrecked and you are on the broad way to destruction celebrating Christ's birth or death/resurrection may even seem like an abomination.

Quote:
KrispyKrittr wrote:
Also, observing Easter or Christ-Mass doesnt make us more spiritual. Ignoring either holiday is not a sin. The NT makes it clear that the temple of God is not made of wood and stone, and we are NOT more spiritual by observing feasts (holidays) or the Law.

So really... whats the big deal? We should celebrate Christ's birth, death & resurrection everyday!

Ps, hmm it seems that I keep making my replies bigger if I reread them before posting.. :-?
There is so much to say! I'll shut it for now. :P

2006/4/13 14:21Profile

Re: Peter Cotton Tail and Santa

[url=http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t020.html]Eggs and Bunnies. Ha ![/url]

HEY, did you know that iF you do the research on SANTA .... that the letters "were" switched around on purpose ? Yup, some shady stuff there.

Ha - From Webster's on "Old Nick" "In the northern mythology, an evil spirit of the saters; hence the modern vulgar phrase, Old Nick, the evil one."

But about this year's Resurrection day ... One thing "different" about "this" year ... is at least Passover was just this past Thursday .... but sometimes it's almost a month away from Astarte, oops, I mean Easter.

But as we all prefer to call it ... RESURRECTION DAY !!!!

Great thing also that we bring GLORY to both HIS Birth AND Resurrection on this site EVERYDAY.
Amen and pass those malted milk eggs here ... the only thing I'm NOT is diabetic.

GOD BLESS YOU ALLLLL. :-D

2006/4/15 8:54
pastorfrin

Re:

Hi Annie,
Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my, oops, wrong story. Lets see its santa, the easter bunny and
the tooth fairy, right. Oh my, we mus'nt forget the sand man.
Is'nt it just wonderful that we have the ROCK
to build upon. Glory Be to the Rock of Ages.
Christ is King, and HE LIVES, HALLELUJAH! CHRIST
JESUS IS RISEN, AS HE SAID HE WOULD.

Have a wonderful RESURRECTION DAY all you lovers
of Christ, and may we glorify His Glorious Name
together.

Love to all,

pastorfrin

ps. Annie, have some malted milk eggs on me. :-D

2006/4/15 11:14Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

[b]Disciple - Easter Bunny[/b]

[i]Guess I'm filled with the Christmas spirit
Celebrate a jolly man in red
Hope my kids don't find out Santa Clause isn't real
Maybe I should have told them about Jesus instead

Last time I heard about it
He didn't come in a Santa outfit
Santa Clause is dead!

Guess it's time to thank the easter bunny again
For doing absolutely nothing in my life
What the heck do a bunch of colored eggs have to do
With the Son of God being raised back to life

Last time I heard about it
He didn't rise in an easter outfit
The easter bunny is dead!

Christmas is when I celebrate Jesus' birth
Easter's when I celebrate Jesus' resurrection
Jesus is alive![/i]

2006/4/15 14:48Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Krispy,

First I wasn't talking about the world, I was talking about my son coming home with bunny ears and easter eggs.

Second I realize that Christmas day isn't really Jesus's birthday and Easter isn't the only time I think about the resurrection of Christ.

I was just sounding off about the success Satan and society at large have had taking the focus off Jesus at these two times of year. I know that celebrating these two occasions is not making me any more spiritual.

Murray

2006/4/15 15:52Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy