Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Sin's Human Captives -Tozer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Forevidence

Riverside

Sin's Human Captives -Tozer

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/tozerdev.gif[/img]

Sin's Human Captives

In asserting that faith in the gospel effects a change of life-motive from self to God, I am but stating the sober facts. Every man with moral intelligence must be aware of the curse that afflicts him inwardly; he must be conscious of the thing we call ego, by the Bible called flesh or self, but by whatever name called a cruel master and a deadly foe. Pharaoh never ruled Israel as tyrannically as this hidden enemy rules the sons and daughters of men. The words of God to Moses concerning Israel in bondage may well describe us all: "I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows." And when, as the Nicene Creed so tenderly states, our Lord Jesus Christ "for us men, and for our salvation came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried, and the third day He arose again according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father," what was it all for? That He might pronounce us technically free and leave us in our bondage? Never. Did not God say to Moses, "I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey . . . and thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Let my people go"? For sin's human captives, God never intends anything less than full deliverance. The Christian message rightly understood means this: The God who by the word of the gospel proclaims men free, by the power of the gospel actually makes them free. To accept less than this is to know the gospel in word only, without its power.

Prayer
Thank You, Kind Father, that the power of the gospel makes us free.

For more info:[url=http://www.cmalliance.org/devotions/tozer/tozer.jsp]http://www.cmalliance.org/devotions/tozer/tozer.jsp[/url]

2006/4/11 12:31Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: Sin's Human Captives -Tozer

Quote:
Did not God say to Moses, "I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey . . . and thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Let my people go"? For sin's human captives, God never intends anything less than full deliverance.

Milk and honey does not flow in Egypt. God intended to lead Israel out of the dry deserts of Egypt into the plush green tablelands of the land of Israel. When the sheep graze in the fertile green pastures the milk flows, but not until then. In other words, milk does not flow on a diet of dry tumbleweeds.

This is a relocation of our habitation. Where once we were in 'Egypt' (The Kingdom of Darkness), now we have been translated into the Kingdom of His dear Son. We are expected to follow Christ as He leads us and he feeds us.

Notice what happened before Israel left; they were to sacrifice the passover lamb (this is celebrated this coming Thursday btw), blotch the blood on the door posts, go in and utterly consume the passover lamb. This is a picture of Christ our Passover who was sacrificed for us. We are to consume him, that is, His words and walk in them that they might be meat unto us.

So Israel went out after the Lord in faith. But how long did that last? Not long. God reflects on the early days in Jeremiah 2:2:

Go and cry in the ears of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the LORD; [i]I remember thee, the kindness of thy youth, the love of thine espousals, when thou wentest after me in the wilderness[/i], in a land that was not sown.

This, to me, is [i]the love they had at first[/i]. But competition came and they took the love that belonged to the one (God) and gave it to another (this is a good definition of harlotry). God told them to THROW DOWN the altars of the [i]other[/i] gods of the land as they came in. But did they?

Then the Angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said: "I led you up from Egypt and brought you to the land of which I swore to your fathers; and I said, 'I will never break My covenant with you. And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.' But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this? Therefore I also said,[u] 'I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you."'[/u](Judges 2)

Could it be that folk struggle with temptation and besetting sins because they refuse to 'tear down those old altars' to those other 'competing gods' in their life? They leave altars to their former lovers and eventually fall back in them? Like pictures of old boyfriends/girlfriends on the dresser; God says so long as you leave them, [i] 'I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.[/i].

Could it be that the reason so many have trouble with besettings sins is because they allow a foothold for the enemy in their life and God Himself refuses to drive them out whilst they keep entertaining them or keeping things they should have "thrown down"?

What says the New Testament?

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)

Could that 'submitting' begin when we finally decide to utterly throw down the altars and high places in our lives?

2006/4/11 13:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy