SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Assemblies of god?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Assemblies of god?

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about going to an Assembly of God church here in VA. I dont know too much about them. All I know is that I went to two church of Gods, and I dont want that kind of fiasco. (people running screaming in tounges/giving false prophecies). Do you guys know too much about The Assemblies of God. I have been to their website, but would like some of your guys input/ experiences with this denomination.

I know some of them had some problems with the new movement going around today. but I heard some were okay.

Also, could someone let me know what denomination Leonard Ravenhill was in/ or if he was non-denominational.

thanks guys.

Matthew ;-)

2006/4/11 11:39Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Assemblies of god?

It's hard to give a general judgement about them. There are some that could be crazy, and then others perfectly inline with scripture. It is more of a church by church basis.

2006/4/11 12:44Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

I am a member of an Assembly of God church. We don't have "people running around screaming in tongues/giving false prophecies" in my church. Yes, we pray in tongues and there have been tongues and interpretations in our church as well as prophecy. We are a Bible Based congregation.

I have also attended a Church of God that was very Bible Based with a Pastor and congregation that love the Lord very much.

As with any denominations, churches vary depending on the Pastor and the Congregation.

2006/4/11 15:32Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

So are you guys saying that you would recommend this denomination?

I want to know because I feel my calvary chapel just isnt spirit filled. I sit there week after week, and see people that dont want to get intimate with god. They go to church every sunday, and leave with no fellowship or they dont even bother to say hello to new people.

I feel the lord is calling my finace a I to try new churches out, but there has been such a problem here with trying to find a church that is really into the word.

Please pray that I will be able to find a church in my area.

Im still looking on input if you guys would recommend a Assembly of God.

god bless

boomatt

P.S. Sorry if I came accross kind of harsh

2006/4/11 15:59Profile
dohzman

Re:

I personally minister in alot of Church of God's and can't recall once seeing people running around shouting in tongues and speaking anything falsely. But of course what do I know? I also minister in the AG churches (assemblies of God). As in almost every church in the world, especially the penecostal or charismatic churches, the outward manifestations of the Holy Spirit are eithr allowed or squelched by leadership, as is the manifestations of the flesh or any other manifestations for that matter (and yes, I've been present where demons manifest trying to counterfiet God). Local church leadership sets the tone or temperment of the happenings in a local service, not---I say again---NOT the National organization or name sake, or denomination. Personally if you have a problem you need to address it to that church leadership and not not publically on a very public site like this one.Test the spirit-- pull on it-- melt it down-grind on it-- and see if its of God. If it's the Holy Spirit they shouldn't get offended. And who knows? Maybe you missed it? Personally I'd rather find a group of christians who I could fellowship with in spirit and in the Truth and not worry so much as to denominational labels. Just a thought?

2006/4/11 17:19Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

obviously, when pastors and the congregation dont even care. nothing will happen

I have addressed the problem with all the churches and they said they dont want to condemn anyone. but if it is fake, it is fake, dont lead sheep astray. People have to have discernment when it comes to these things, and when I prayed to god through each service, the people exposed themselves. Like when I was a Church of god here in fredericksburg ( and not all church of gods are bad) the preacher, a woman told the congregation that she got healed by cancer and if you just believe, that You will also be healed, 100%, no matter what (citing Isaiah).

There was another service where everyone started shouting in tounges, and the preacher slapped a member in the butt, and the person supposedly got filled with the holy ghost and ran around the building with everyone laughing in the so called spirit. I cant believe we can play all of these games, while people are dying in this world. Christianity has become such a joke to so many people.

Once again brothers and sisters, I am not condemming these denominations as a whole. I want to try an Assembly of God, but nobody has recommended them to me. I am not condemming, I just get angered when people try to twist scripture to fit into their little doctrine.

I also get fustrated when people tell me you arent living a full spririt filled life, if I dont speak in Tongues, I think this is crazy. I think love goes a lot more than that.

I would like some input on the Assembly of God, Because I am still usure about if I want to go to one or not. I usually like a pentocostal church, but as of recently, they have turned me off. But I feel this one(practically in my backyard), is good. I see them coming to church everyday, all excited, and would like to try to go there and see what is up.

the only assembly of god church I have been to was David Wilkerson dads old one in Scranton, PA and the pastor loves the lord. but I didnt really get to hear anyone preach that much, that is why I am trying to see if they would be worth it to try out.

blessings,

Matthew

2006/4/11 19:55Profile
W_D_J_D

Re:

boomat.....

every (AOG) church i have been to has been health & wealth prosperity associated. Everyone i have been to they are alll spiting and shouting while do body discerns or interprets what they are doing. Everyone i have heard of and been to have not taught the (cross)of Jesus or (take up your cross) i have heard many ministers swear at these church's in sermons.

Almost evrytime i have been it has been about money....in fact at one in particular they only opened the bible after one hour of drawn out "worship" when collections was been passed around and guess what the "sermon" was??? "the rich man went to hell" lol so people gave more out of a hype because they played the music during it....whilst the Preacher critcised people who did not give money.

One instance a (AOG) church had around 2000 people screaming/ blabering/ jumping/ crying at at man who had "a hard week" while the preacher had his hand on him he moved his hand around and the man was having what seemed to be a epileptic fit. The man who hads the preachers hand on him started to cry and then prophesy and then sing....etc. etc. while the whole building was lauging and crying it relief at seeing the man bluber with no interpretation.

i have never heard the following words out of a (AOG)follower's mouth....

REPENTANCE

JUDGEMENT

MORTIFY

HELL

SACRIFICE

HUMILITY

STOP SINNING

However i hear these words commonly.....

HEAVEN

MERCY

FORGIVENESS

PROSPERITY

LOVE

LOVE

LOVE

FREEDOM

PROPHESY

"BLA BA DA BLA BA DABLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA BLA BA DA"

Now......thats is a generalisation on my p[art for i have not attended every (AOG) affiliated church in australia or the world.....that is just my experience. And my post is not for poking fun at or degrading anyone...i do it out of truth....

I beleieve that Leonard Ravenhill was a Pentecostal....however he was acting a reformer with in the movement....i dont believe he associated himself with any denomination of Christianity.

God bless u all!

2006/4/11 23:10Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi boomatt...

I have attended several Assembly of God churches since my Mom met the Lord (while I was about 8 years old). The Assemblies of God are quite interesting in that there are so many different personalities amongst the various local churches. Since they operate almost entirely autonomously -- with just basic "rules" for each local body from the national office -- there is a wide spectrum of variation of beliefs and custom.

There are some local churches with a "mega-Church" type of attitude. There are some that seem to openly embrace the modern "easy-Christianity" and prosperity approaches. And then there are alot of ultra-conservative Churches. In my opinion, the rural churches tend to be more conservative (and classic-pentecostal), while the urban churches tend to embrace more modern (and charismatic) practices.

Interestingly, at many of the youth camps, counselors and leaders are often forbidden to preach alot of the more "charismania" type of beliefs (like "holy laughter" or "prosperity"). In fact, there are some churches that are strictly "holiness" in nature. It is also interesting to note that Leonard Ravenhill often preached in Assembly of God churches. David Wilkerson was raised in A/G Churches, graduated from an A/G Bible College, and ministered and was licensed with the Assemblies of God for most of his life. Even the non-denominational [i]Times Square Church[/i] founded by Brother Wilkerson has its doctrine modeled after the "fundamental truths" held by the A/G.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that even some of the more rural churches are beginning to permit some of the more questionable modern practices -- particularly in their desire to attract youth.

I do not currently attend an A/G Church. However, the small non-denominational fellowship that I attend is quite similar in doctrine to some of the more classic A/G churches. I suppose the best thing to do is to attend it for yourself and see for yourself.

In a nutshell, here is the major doctrines required for all Assembly of God churches to adhere:

Quote:
WE BELIEVE...The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.

WE BELIEVE...There is only One True God–revealed in three persons...Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).

WE BELIEVE...In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God's son Jesus was both human and divine.

WE BELIEVE...though originally good, Man Willingly Fell to Sin–ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.

WE BELIEVE...Every Person Can Have Restored Fellowship with God Through 'Salvation' (accepting Christ's offer of forgiveness for sin). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]

WE BELIEVE...and practice two ordinances—(1) Water Baptism by Immersion after repenting of one's sins and receiving Christ's gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord's Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ's suffering and death for our salvation.

WE BELIEVE...the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a Special Experience Following Salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]

WE BELIEVE... The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is ‘Speaking in Tongues,’ as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.

WE BELIEVE...Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.

WE BELIEVE...The Church has a Mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe 'the Church' is the Body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God's offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His son Jesus Christ.

WE BELIEVE...A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, and to build up or edify the body of believers–the Church.

WE BELIEVE...Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ's atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]

WE BELIEVE...in The Blessed Hope—When Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]

WE BELIEVE...in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. At that time many in the nation of Israel will recognize and accept Him as the Messiah, the Savior who died for them and all mankind.

WE BELIEVE...A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.

WE BELIEVE...and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. 'And so shall we forever be with the Lord!'

Source: [b][url=http://www.ag.org/top/Beliefs/Statement_of_Fundamental_Truths/sft_short.cfm]16 Fundamental Truths of the Assemblies of God [/url][/b]

I hope this helps! I know that when I travel, I often look up the local churches in the local phone book. I usually start my search looking at the local Assembly of God or Calvary Chapel fellowships.

:-)

2006/4/11 23:24Profile
W_D_J_D

Re:

does the (AOG) denomination believe that Jesus came as a man or "god-man"?

Does any deomination believe that the world actualy became "flesh" as the bible says?

i know of church's but they are non denominational. interesting.

God bless yall

2006/4/11 23:40Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info, I will try this assembly of God out this weekend, I pray everything will go good.

I have a question, can anyone elaborate more on speaking in tongues as the initial evidence of being baptized in the holy ghose. I'm not sure I really understand what that means? Are they trying to say you know you have been baptized in the holy spirit, if you speak in tongues. The times I have heard people speaking in tongues and practicing open sin would not support this doctrine, but maybe someone could elaborate more on this for me?

thanks guys for your input
I look forward to hearing back from you guys.

matthew

2006/4/12 8:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy