Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Truth Perverted -Tozer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Forevidence

Riverside

Truth Perverted -Tozer

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/tozerdev.gif[/img]

Truth Perverted

It is not my desire to minimize the justifying effect of faith. No man who knows the depths of his own wickedness would dare to appear before the ineffable Presence with nothing to recommend him but his own character, nor would any Christian, wise after the discipline of failures and imperfections, want his acceptance with God to depend upon any degree of holiness to which he might have attained through the operations of inward grace. All who know their own hearts and the provisions of the gospel will join in the prayer of the man of God:

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
O, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

It is a distressing thing that a truth so beautiful should have been so perverted. But perversion is the price we pay for failure to emphasize the moral content of truth; it is the curse that follows rational orthodoxy when it has quenched or rejected the Spirit of Truth.

Prayer
Help us to never quench the work of Your Spirit in our hearts, Father God.

[url=http://www.cmalliance.org/devotions/tozer/tozer.jsp]http://www.cmalliance.org/devotions/tozer/tozer.jsp[/url]

2006/4/10 10:11Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: Truth Perverted -Tozer

Quote:
It is a distressing thing that a truth so beautiful should have been so perverted. [u]But perversion is the price we pay for failure to emphasize the moral content of truth[/u]; it is the curse that follows rational orthodoxy when it has quenched or rejected the Spirit of Truth.

This is what happened at Galatia. When sin enters the camp the first reaction is often to 'enact' Law. The law was not 'made' for a righteous man, but for sinners.. etc. 'Made' in the Gk. means to 'enact'. Paul asked the people, "Having begun in the Spirit are you now made perfect by the flesh?"

The fullness of the cross has to be preached as a 'package deal'. Getting saved is not "turning over a new leaf" or "getting rid of some bad habits." True salvation brings the fullness of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ as a reality in our life. Your sin is covered and the Old man is crucified with Christ. Since the Old man is now dead- the power of the resurrection comes forth to bring the life of God into that person who died to Sin. From there on, they walk in the newness of life. Old things have passed away, behold all is become new.

Salvation is a gift, but opening up the 'gift' and selecting out portions we like and leaving behind what we don't will never do. We have to take the 'full' gift. This is why I am afraid we do a dis-service to the book of Romans by pulling out 5 scriptures as a 'road' to salvation. We have to preach the cross. It was Paul's message and it has to be ours. Anything else is a [i]different[/i] Gospel.

2006/4/10 14:00Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy