SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Revival, a subject avoided and rejected - by Lars Widerberg

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

Revival, a subject avoided and rejected - by Lars Widerberg

Dear Friends, Readers and Intercessors,
The first version of this article was written a day ago, as a word into the Swedish and Scandinavian situation. Ours is a dilemma which centers on the unwillingness to consider the necessity of revival, mainly because it is a demanding issue.

Pastors react as wild beasts, with contempt, pride and rejection when confronted by the need of considering the fact that 100 years have passed since this region was touched, seriously touched by the hand of the Lord. 100 years!
Sheep are bleating in despair, pastures have dried because of the outright unwillingness by the leadership of our churches to get down on their knees to find and establish a point of change.

Please, pray with us for a new beginning!
Please, use the following text and others as a point of beginning reflecting and praying into your own situation wherever you are living.
Every blessing as you begin to read and pray.
Lars W.

Revival, a subject avoided and rejected

How to take up a controversial issue, how to open up a sensitive subject without causing conflict and much mental strife? How to provide an environment, a moment of consideration for a cause which has been forcibly dismissed and removed from the agenda? How to handle an item which causes a sense of condemnation and which, according to the many, ought to render the daring messenger a large sign to wear which says “Judgmental” and “Pompous”.

The necessity of a spiritual awakening is such an item. The word, used in a Christian context, disqualifies and condemns present conditions in favour of something else. This word threatens the present order and the tranquillity produced by hard labour in private as well as by common efforts. The concept of revival points to something which many really would like to experience but which cannot be reached and apprehended without costly and taxing labour. An opposing force, a counteractive process is constantly at work to disrupt the work needed to reach into the purposes of God; this enemy is an enemy within, called instant gratification. Much has been said and written regarding this subject, one method after the other have been presented and tried without bearing fruit – interest and hope have to a great extent been lost in this whirlpool of activity.

An awakening has its roots in sacrifice; routines and complacency are constantly challenged by its existence. Revival includes change; what seems to guarantee our security and identity is often marked for destruction. This little word tells us that we, in our modern brightness and alertness, are still asleep, deprived of sensitivity concerning those things and values which nobody can properly describe, those heavenly values. Who wants to hear about such things?

Who dares to challenge an ear which is deliberately shut? Who wants to be dismissed as one who does not align, who is not approved and applauded as one supporting general tendencies and the contemporary outlook.

God speaks sharply about the necessity of an awakening and the refiner’s fire is kindled for us all to pass through. His purpose is preparation for the partaking of His holiness, a sanctification without which no one will be able to see the Lord. Hebrews 12:10, 14. God speaks to us about these things. . .

We will, perhaps, find the beginning of times of refreshing within the framework of speaking openly and freely about the purposes of God and about His ways and workings. We will, perhaps, be able to reach a point of reviving and restoration when men put an end to their self-defence and their endless repetition of an “I’m O.K. You’re O.K.”, or an “I’m doing the best I can, who are you to judge?” “We are happy with what is. Peace and affluence. Revival is more of the same kind.”
The challenge of the Lord lies within His own frame of mind. “Let the same disposition be in you which was in Christ Jesus.” Phil 2:5. “The mind of the Spirit is life and peace.” Rom 8:6. Who is sufficient for these things?
The Spirit must be allowed the right to implant the fullness of Christ into our lives, to write the Law of Life in each and every Christian and then to formulate a common testimony in the Christian fellowship at large as a word from beyond, as a word about heavenly realities – realities which disturbs the many, but which has become the way itself to a small company of sojourners.

Sojourners of the heavenly kind are the meekest and most non-confrontative men on Earth, but they generate a strange aversion among many. How can it be that the Gospel of Peace stirs such a radical gainsaying and opposition? How can it be that the little flock, the priestly nation of the Lord which has been set aside to minister peace and reconciliation is rejected as the source of contention and unrest, as the very reason for disunity and strife? Why do we avoid and reject the goal of the work of the Lord formulated in revivals, namely sanctification unto the fullness of Christ in service and glory? Why do we call those men judgmental, who have been made ready to show us the way to the most thoroughgoing and glorious salvation? Why are we addicted to mediocrity? We desperately need a deep and ongoing salvation to be able to stand the pressure of this dreadful hour.

Controversy is immediately stirred by words and proposals regarding a returning to Zion to build an altar. Conflict occurs at the very moment of mentioning such things to those who have settled in the modern Babylon and who have adjusted their way of living to the main traits of the prevalent culture, also having brought the best of this culture into the workshop of the Church to create a Christian twist to it to be able to present it as a Christian ideal. The Lord has a couple of pointed words to throw in regarding Babylon in the end time. His words do no loose its sharp edge or its radical perspective. His words are like a double-edged sword which divides the soulish realm from the spiritual. Nobody will be able to produce a mixture of the two without encountering the Lord’s dividing activity and His Judgment.

To bring forth this edgy subject, to begin talking about the need of an awakening is like talking about seeing with a man born blind. Most of us continue to sit as if satisfied with darkness and gloom. Describing the necessity of repentance and a radical turning around to the one who is not willing to gather an understanding of the depth of the fall of man and his sin creates controversy, smear and ridicule also among church-people. “They heal the brokenness of my people superficially.” To talk vividly about a returning to the City of the Lord of which the audience have heard but vague legends causes nothing but a yawn if disinterest from the ones who have settled and made themselves comfortable in modern life. A revival is a challenge. A revival dares to confront.

The Lord has a sword in His mouth. His cause lies untouched. His temple lies in ruins. The people of the Lord are heavily marked by words of dark colours; desolation, despair, despondency, destitution – yet laughing their way ahead. A tragic picture. The people of the Lord are positioned in this setting to the same degree as the cause of the Lord lies untouched. Let us come together for the sake of reasoning, talking and praying about this state of affairs. Let us come together to talk about the content and the disclosure of a common life and living which carries His mark. Let us pray for a common frame of mind which keeps doors open when the cause of the Lord is on the agenda.

There is an absolute need for altars to be built in homes and in churches. These altars talks first of all about the need of listening ears and hearts. Are we competent to hear the Lord speaking? Are we open and able to hear friends, and at times enemies, speak about their needs, both spiritual and material? Are we able and daring enough to listen to men whose words seem to do nothing but attack our point of view and our integrity? Are pastors and preachers among us willing to consider the bleating of hungry sheep without looking to the side to care for their pride as professionals? To say, “I am not sufficient for this” costs a man all he has built to cover himself, but paying the real cost prepares for real gain.

To stand up to speak up for revival and its necessity is to place an altar amidst all those things we consider valuable, perhaps reducing it all to rubbish and vanity. To speak up for revival causes controversy. Talking about the need of an awakening is to place a stumbling stone in every mans way; you may be treated as an offender, as one who violates good men’s conscience. Oh, dear. . . Perhaps the voice of the Lord is with such an offender. . .

The message about the cross is nonsense to those who are being destroyed, but it is God’s power to us who are being saved. 1 Cor 1:18. The cross declares man’s radical failure, the total unacceptability in any of his accomplishments as means to the establishment of the Kingdom of God. The cross announces at the same time the way to reconciliation and fullness. The promptings of the voice of revival brings us all to this cross, the cross of Christ, to His crucifixion and ours. The cross proclaims the necessity of radical alteration and change and explains by its very existence that the apprehending and attaining to the life of God is not possible through any other means but through death and resurrection. An awakening is in itself the revelation of this fact. An awakening brings an insight into the necessity of the cross as a daily experience, of the refiners fire made ready to do its penetrating work once more, of yet another taxing event in the furnace, of the law of the grain of wheat as the law of life and the only way of overcoming.

To belittle, to minimize the issue of sin and salvation is to contradict the work of the cross of Christ. To look at the necessity of an awakening as something which does not fit into the modern concept of “doing church” is to take us through a never-ending detour. To preach and to expect spirituality of a kind which will find approval in Heaven without considering the conditions set up by Heaven is outright deception.
Please, consider a praying for, a looking for a hearing and obeying which opens for the cause of the Lord.

Let us corporately, in solemn togetherness listen to the voice which calls for thoughtfulness and repentance.

A listening of this kind will be the beginning of the awakening and the reviving.

“Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite.” Isa 57:15.

Let us, because of this, pray with ears and hearts which have been dedicated to listening.

Lars Widerberg

2006/4/3 8:18Profile
crucified

Re: Revival, a subject avoided and rejected - by Lars Widerberg

What a wonderful examination of the current phenomenon of Zionic ease. None is (nor shall they soon be) grieved for the affliction of Joseph. After many years of curious examination and frustrated consternation, I, personally, have come to the conclusion that Bro. Charles Elliot Newbold is correct in his assessment of the present situation. His book, "The Harlot Church System" posits that 'church' is the modern-day Babylonian captivity of the people of God. We are simply all trying to wake something that was designed in its inherent nature to keep folks asleep. Perhaps there is only answer ... "OUTSIDE!"

2006/4/3 10:05Profile
Rahman

Re: Revival, a subject avoided and rejected - by Lars Widerberg

Wow ... thanks for posting this sis D ...

It's good to hear something again from bro. Lars ... From what he wrote seems there's little difference in reception from status quo church leadership on both sides of the Atlantic ...

Bro. Lars wrote;
"Ours is a dilemma which centers on the unwillingness to consider the necessity of revival, mainly because it is a demanding issue.
Pastors react as wild beasts, with contempt, pride and rejection when confronted by the need of considering the fact that 100 years have passed since this region was touched, seriously touched by the hand of the Lord. 100 years!

i can certainly identify with this sentiment, as i've experienced similar reactions from pastors ...

He further wrote;
"Sheep are bleating in despair, pastures have dried because of the outright unwillingness by the leadership of our churches to get down on their knees to find and establish a point of change."

Now see this is the thing that just makes my heart ache ... i see/know so many saints who portray the "I'm blessed" face on the outside to other mask wearing saints, but on the inside of that mask are a whole lot of hurting, unempowered christians going thru the latest formulaic motions proposed by so called church leaders ... Jesus asked Peter three times, "Do you love Me"? ... and each time, to the point of Peter's irratation at the last asking, each time Jesus gave Peter the proof of how the man of God proves that love ... He said, "Then FEED my sheep" ... Not "FLEECE" my sheep, but "FEED" my sheep! ...

Bro. Lar's continued;
"How to take up a controversial issue, how to open up a sensitive subject without causing conflict and much mental strife? How to provide an environment, a moment of consideration for a cause which has been forcibly dismissed and removed from the agenda? How to handle an item which causes a sense of condemnation and which, according to the many, ought to render the daring messenger a large sign to wear which says “Judgmental” and “Pompous”.

My experience has been that there is no way to proclaim a message of "Revival and Repentance" to a "Rebellious House" without causing "confict and mental strife", and if our Lord has called one to be His voice to expressing such needs to His Body to not only being labeled "judgemental and pompous" but a whole slew of other missles designed to slay your effectiveness on that battle field ... If ever there was a need for one to have that LARGE SHIELD OF FAITH!

And then bro. Lars said this;
"The necessity of a spiritual awakening is such an item. The word, used in a Christian context, disqualifies and condemns present conditions in favour of something else.'

Like the Pharisees i believe a whole lot of Church leadership, particularly here in materiallistic America, have become so very comfortable in their own little personally driven empires, with their denominationally driven ways and methods of church service ... REVIVAL is a serious threat to the status quo for all of the reasons that are obvious to everyone who has "spiritual eyes in Christ" to see ...

God has it all under control, and will "fix us" in His own perfect timing ... So in the meanwhile like bro. Lars says, ALL who have a burden for REVIVAL must not let the present situation(s) weary us, but just have to keep on bombarding heaven for His will to be done ...

You know in retrospect i now find it so much easier to do what i've last posted, mainly because just last year, after (i believe His) final "word" to the pastor He assigned me to regarding our need for Revival, Holy Spirit impressed upon me that my work in this season had ceased ... It was a work that bridged three "thus saith the Lord" to my pastor over a 20 year period ... After the third one i sensed Him say in my spirit, "you have done all that is required in this season, I will (personally) handle it from here" ... Truth be told it was such a blessed word for me to hear because it is not easy to go before pastors and preachers ... i've been only able to do it myself i know out of the power of Holy Spirit, and a "gnawing" that just seemed it would not go away until i did what i heard in my spirit to do ...

It seems to me that our Lord still has bro. Lars in what i've come to call "the excruciating work", so let's all pray for his strenghth as well ...

2006/4/3 13:18Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

2006/4/3 15:36Profile

Re: Balance

Quote:
from posted article:
- a subject avoided and rejected

How to take up a controversial issue, how to open up a sensitive subject without causing conflict and much mental strife? How to provide an environment, a moment of consideration for a cause which has been forcibly dismissed and removed from the agenda? How to handle an item which causes a sense of condemnation and which, according to the many, ought to render the daring messenger a large sign to wear which says “Judgmental” and “Pompous”.

The necessity of a spiritual awakening is such an item. The word, used in a Christian context, disqualifies and condemns present conditions in favour of something else. This word threatens the present order and the tranquillity produced by hard labour in private as well as by common efforts.

Jesus said "In Spirit and Truth".

Paul said, 1Ti 4:16 Take heed unto thyself {holiness}, [u]and[/u] unto the "doctrine"; continue in 'them': for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

The Quote above should and does fit or applies to, the subject of "Discernment Ministries" too.

What I see is one without the other and it can be just as this quote says for those concerned for the error in the 'church'.

Seeking a right relationship with the Lord in our own lives, or requiring the need to be "revived" because our heart's are hardened, is of course a necessity ... but what I also see is throwing out sound doctrine to reach some sort of end, which 'some' call "Revival".

If we don't get the sound doctrine part down first, we'll follow anyone who even says that word "revival".

We can't depend on Pastors or leaders to lead us into all truth. God holds us individually responsible to be before Him for "Spirit and Truth".

The days of eating the meat and spitting out the bones are about over when following "teachers or prophets".

Because they did not have the "agape" for the "truth", God will send them a strong delusion.

Signs and wonders and false teachings, are part of Jesus' warning.

While we're seeking to be revived from the dead, we Must seek to love and find Truth, lest we get swept away by the Counterfeit Revival that we are on the heels of.

God Bless.

2006/4/3 23:01
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
It seems to me that our Lord still has bro. Lars in what i've come to call "the excruciating work", so let's all pray for his strenghth as well ...

About 7 years ago I found Lars Widerberg by typing “intercession” on the search engine. Surely God’s hand was in it. I’m so thankful for discovering the good teaching material found on his site. After a while I unsubscribed from his intercessor maiing list because I needed a break from the burden that accompanies the awareness of so many troubles in the world.

Seeing his name in the top SI posters list everyday has motivated me to search the web for Lars and find out what he is up to these days. It seems that he has been writing profusely and has many articles sprinkled all over cyberspace, though he doesn’t have a web site. Too bad they are not all consolidated in one place.

It seems like Lars continues to oversee a challenging front-line ministry of intercession – praying for Christians around the world.
You can be added to the mailing list:
[email]Intercessors.Network@Comhem.se[/email]

The European Prophetic College, which he also oversees, makes available a large amount of enriching articles related to intercession, the prophetic calling, rivival, etc. You can request to be on the mailing list of EPC too:

[email]EPC@COMHEM.SE[/email]

Diane

2006/4/4 21:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Some of the greatest wisdom I have found from Lars has been his silence. The newsletter he provides is a needed difficulty as well, it is a humbling perspective on things as they are and could give many of us a different view about the weight and worth of our opinions in light of what is transpiring on this planet.

2006/4/4 23:47Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

A replay.
~~~~~~~~

Dear Friends, Readers and Intercessors,
The first version of this article was written a day ago, as a word into the Swedish and Scandinavian situation. Ours is a dilemma which centers on the unwillingness to consider the necessity of revival, mainly because it is a demanding issue.

Sheep are bleating in despair, pastures have dried because of the outright unwillingness by the leadership of our churches to get down on their knees to find and establish a point of change.

Please, pray with us for a new beginning!
Please, use the following text and others as a point of beginning reflecting and praying into your own situation wherever you are living.
Every blessing as you begin to read and pray.
Lars W.

Revival, a subject avoided and rejected

The necessity of a spiritual awakening is such an item. The word, used in a Christian context, disqualifies and condemns present conditions in favour of something else. This word threatens the present order and the tranquillity produced by hard labour in private as well as by common efforts. The concept of revival points to something which many really would like to experience but which cannot be reached and apprehended without costly and taxing labour. An opposing force, a counteractive process is constantly at work to disrupt the work needed to reach into the purposes of God; this enemy is an enemy within, called instant gratification. Much has been said and written regarding this subject, one method after the other have been presented and tried without bearing fruit – interest and hope have to a great extent been lost in this whirlpool of activity.

An awakening has its roots in sacrifice; routines and complacency are constantly challenged by its existence. Revival includes change; what seems to guarantee our security and identity is often marked for destruction. This little word tells us that we, in our modern brightness and alertness, are still asleep, deprived of sensitivity concerning those things and values which nobody can properly describe, those heavenly values. Who wants to hear about such things?

Who dares to challenge an ear which is deliberately shut? Who wants to be dismissed as one who does not align, who is not approved and applauded as one supporting general tendencies and the contemporary outlook.

God speaks sharply about the necessity of an awakening and the refiner’s fire is kindled for us all to pass through. His purpose is preparation for the partaking of His holiness, a sanctification without which no one will be able to see the Lord. Hebrews 12:10, 14. God speaks to us about these things. . .

We will, perhaps, find the beginning of times of refreshing within the framework of speaking openly and freely about the purposes of God and about His ways and workings. We will, perhaps, be able to reach a point of reviving and restoration when men put an end to their self-defence and their endless repetition of an “I’m O.K. You’re O.K.”, or an “I’m doing the best I can, who are you to judge?” “We are happy with what is. Peace and affluence. Revival is more of the same kind.”
The challenge of the Lord lies within His own frame of mind. “Let the same disposition be in you which was in Christ Jesus.” Phil 2:5. “The mind of the Spirit is life and peace.” Rom 8:6. Who is sufficient for these things?
The Spirit must be allowed the right to implant the fullness of Christ into our lives, to write the Law of Life in each and every Christian and then to formulate a common testimony in the Christian fellowship at large as a word from beyond, as a word about heavenly realities – realities which disturbs the many, but which has become the way itself to a small company of sojourners.

Sojourners of the heavenly kind are the meekest and most non-confrontative men on Earth, but they generate a strange aversion among many. How can it be that the Gospel of Peace stirs such a radical gainsaying and opposition? How can it be that the little flock, the priestly nation of the Lord which has been set aside to minister peace and reconciliation is rejected as the source of contention and unrest, as the very reason for disunity and strife? Why do we avoid and reject the goal of the work of the Lord formulated in revivals, namely sanctification unto the fullness of Christ in service and glory? Why do we call those men judgmental, who have been made ready to show us the way to the most thoroughgoing and glorious salvation? Why are we addicted to mediocrity? We desperately need a deep and ongoing salvation to be able to stand the pressure of this dreadful hour.

Controversy is immediately stirred by words and proposals regarding a returning to Zion to build an altar. Conflict occurs at the very moment of mentioning such things to those who have settled in the modern Babylon and who have adjusted their way of living to the main traits of the prevalent culture, also having brought the best of this culture into the workshop of the Church to create a Christian twist to it to be able to present it as a Christian ideal. The Lord has a couple of pointed words to throw in regarding Babylon in the end time. His words do no loose its sharp edge or its radical perspective. His words are like a double-edged sword which divides the soulish realm from the spiritual. Nobody will be able to produce a mixture of the two without encountering the Lord’s dividing activity and His Judgment.

To bring forth this edgy subject, to begin talking about the need of an awakening is like talking about seeing with a man born blind. Most of us continue to sit as if satisfied with darkness and gloom. Describing the necessity of repentance and a radical turning around to the one who is not willing to gather an understanding of the depth of the fall of man and his sin creates controversy, smear and ridicule also among church-people. “They heal the brokenness of my people superficially.” To talk vividly about a returning to the City of the Lord of which the audience have heard but vague legends causes nothing but a yawn if disinterest from the ones who have settled and made themselves comfortable in modern life. A revival is a challenge. A revival dares to confront.

The Lord has a sword in His mouth. His cause lies untouched. His temple lies in ruins. The people of the Lord are heavily marked by words of dark colours; desolation, despair, despondency, destitution – yet laughing their way ahead. A tragic picture. The people of the Lord are positioned in this setting to the same degree as the cause of the Lord lies untouched. Let us come together for the sake of reasoning, talking and praying about this state of affairs. Let us come together to talk about the content and the disclosure of a common life and living which carries His mark. Let us pray for a common frame of mind which keeps doors open when the cause of the Lord is on the agenda.

There is an absolute need for altars to be built in homes and in churches. These altars talks first of all about the need of listening ears and hearts. Are we competent to hear the Lord speaking? Are we open and able to hear friends, and at times enemies, speak about their needs, both spiritual and material? Are we able and daring enough to listen to men whose words seem to do nothing but attack our point of view and our integrity? Are pastors and preachers among us willing to consider the bleating of hungry sheep without looking to the side to care for their pride as professionals? To say, “I am not sufficient for this” costs a man all he has built to cover himself, but paying the real cost prepares for real gain.

To stand up to speak up for revival and its necessity is to place an altar amidst all those things we consider valuable, perhaps reducing it all to rubbish and vanity. To speak up for revival causes controversy. Talking about the need of an awakening is to place a stumbling stone in every mans way; you may be treated as an offender, as one who violates good men’s conscience. Oh, dear. . . Perhaps the voice of the Lord is with such an offender. . .

The message about the cross is nonsense to those who are being destroyed, but it is God’s power to us who are being saved. 1 Cor 1:18. The cross declares man’s radical failure, the total unacceptability in any of his accomplishments as means to the establishment of the Kingdom of God. The cross announces at the same time the way to reconciliation and fullness. The promptings of the voice of revival brings us all to this cross, the cross of Christ, to His crucifixion and ours. The cross proclaims the necessity of radical alteration and change and explains by its very existence that the apprehending and attaining to the life of God is not possible through any other means but through death and resurrection. An awakening is in itself the revelation of this fact. An awakening brings an insight into the necessity of the cross as a daily experience, of the refiners fire made ready to do its penetrating work once more, of yet another taxing event in the furnace, of the law of the grain of wheat as the law of life and the only way of overcoming.

To belittle, to minimize the issue of sin and salvation is to contradict the work of the cross of Christ. To look at the necessity of an awakening as something which does not fit into the modern concept of “doing church” is to take us through a never-ending detour. To preach and to expect spirituality of a kind which will find approval in Heaven without considering the conditions set up by Heaven is outright deception.
Please, consider a praying for, a looking for a hearing and obeying which opens for the cause of the Lord.

Let us corporately, in solemn togetherness listen to the voice which calls for thoughtfulness and repentance.

A listening of this kind will be the beginning of the awakening and the reviving.

“Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite.” Isa 57:15.

Let us, because of this, pray with ears and hearts which have been dedicated to listening.

Lars Widerberg

2006/8/27 13:12Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy