SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : What are you controlled by?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

What are you controlled by?

2 Corinthians 5:14 (All scriputres quoted in NASB) For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died;

Cool verse huh? THE LOVE of God controls us.

This is a defination of control : To exercise authoritative or dominating influence over; direct. A pretty cool synonym is 'drivers seat'.

We give over our lives to Christ and say 'Lord, you have the driver's seat in my life.' But when it comes to Love having the driver's seat. We say 'I'm gonna lock you in the trunk.'

Huh? How is this possible? God = Christ. God = Love . Christ = Love. So we have God in the driver seat of our car, but at the same time lock Him in the trunk. How? I have no idea. I can't describe it right now. (I can't defend it biblically) but, never-the-less, it happens. I've done it. WE all do it.

Here is another scripture. 1 John 2:7-11

7 Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard.
8 On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining.
9 The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now.
10 The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him.
11 But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

I believe these scriptures are written to Christians. I don't believe John is saying that if you hate your brother that your not Christian. But instead, during that time of your sin, you are being 'non' Christ-like and letting Christ's light shine always. (Remember city on the hill. But the flame needs to continually burn.)

Crazy stuff huh?

In my life, I used to do things so that people could be like 'wow, Joshua, your amazing'. I wanted people to look up to me. I wanted this, I wanted that. I I I. Gezz. I was motivated by acceptance. But now, God has touched my life and I'm not even motivated by love. But instead DRIVEN/CONTROLLED by love.

I can't stop. I can't. Oh, the dying. The lost. The hurt, the brused the battered. The bleeding. UGH!! I cry for you. UGH! I could care less if someone hates me, if I love you. I could care less if I get shot in my protection for you. I could care less if someone swings there fist as you and I get hit and they brake my nose. I could care less if someone treatens your life and takes mine.

Do I want my name in the news paper? NO! (would be pretty cool ) But I'd rather be written in your heart. I'd rather instead be seen before you. (You = The needy) I want to share with you the God who has saved my life. At all costs. I'll buy you lunch. I'll go in debt to help you. I'll miss work/church for you. I'll sell my car, just to see you, see His love.

I have been resently reading the Epistles of Paul (Epistles/Letters of Paul = Romans to Philemon) and I'm in Galatians. But OVER AND OVER again Paul writes 'Your not under the Law, but instead under Faith'.

Do you know what 'under the Law means'? I'm saying OTHER than the Ten Commandments. Do you? I do. It's striving. ( In this context: To struggle or fight forcefully for acceptance/belonging) Being under the Law is 'you must do this and that to be loved and wanted'. But under Faith says 'You already are, just show it to others.' Ha! What a concept.

Can you imagine that? Coming home to a loving home. If you come home to a loving home you WANT to clean for the owners/family of the house cause your accepted and loved. But if your in a 'legalistic'(all about the law) home then you HAVE to clean to receive love.

The Body of Christ has lied to you. Why? because they/I have been lied to by Satan. I repent to you, people of God. For ever receiving/believing this lie. The lie is 'you must do this and that to be loved.' When instead all you need to do is say 'Jesus YOU love me. THEREFORE, I will do things for you.'

Love is driven within the DEEPEST part of your heart.

Does the Love of Christ CONTROL you? Is the LOVE of Christ in the driver seat of your car or is that locked in your trunk?

Some evidences/signs to find out if it is or not. (Please examine yourself to find out if you have these)

#1. Your reaction to others who treat you bad.
a. Do you yell back at someone who yells at you? etc.
#2. Your reaction to situations.
a. When your in a traffic jam do you cuss and scream? etc.
#3. Your reaction to your past.
a. Do you curse/forsake God for the testing/trial He has taken you through? etc.
#4. Your reaction to physical love. (Not sexual)
a. When someone wants to give you a hug, do you cringe? Or how about if they hold you for an extra 3 seconds, does that freak you out? etc.
#5. Your reaction to your 'schedule'.
a. Do you feel you HAVE to be 'here' and 'there' or your going to die? etc. ** Do you have the liberty to say 'I'm not doing anything today, cause I want to'? There is a difference between responsibility and striving.
#6. Your reaction to God.
a. Do you just jump in the shallow end and never jump into the deep things of God? Is God just a 'sunday-religion' or is He your entire life? When God draws close, do you run, stand and leap into His arms?

I was guilty of EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE!!!!! Some I still have to work on. Why? Cause I'm not perfect. (Well, to be honest, only on Sundays )

I will leave you with these scriptures and also some commentary with each.

Romans 12:9-13 (my quotes, to help understand words)

9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor (be sicken by) what is evil; cling to what is good.
10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor;
11 not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
12 rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer,
13 contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.

Do you spend time with other Christians? and HELP THEM, clean their house. Pray for them, give them 2$ for any simple needs. Ha! Almost every word I bolded was an ACTION word. Ha! DO THOSE THINGS!!!

1 Corinthians 16:13-14

13 Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
14 Let all that you do be done in love.

Does that verse say 'let all that you do be done in hate.... bitterness... resentment... anger..... pity......' NO! it says LOVE

1 Peter 1:22-25

22 Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart,
23 for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.
24 For,
"ALL FLESH IS LIKE GRASS,
AND ALL ITS GLORY LIKE THE FLOWER OF GRASS.
THE GRASS WITHERS,
AND THE FLOWER FALLS OFF,
25 BUT THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURES FOREVER "
And this is the word which was preached to you.

May the Father of Love gently release the scales off your eyes. So that you may see that life is to be DRIVING by LOVE.

2006/4/2 4:31

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy