SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jesus wasn't crucified on Friday?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
groh_frog

Jesus wasn't crucified on Friday?

I received a magazine in the mail yesterday called "The Good News," which is a publication of The United Church of God. The feature article of this months magazine is an explaination of the seeming contradiction between Christ's death on a Friday, his resurrection on Sunday, and calling this period three days. Here's a paraphrase of their explaination. I've never heard this one before...

Tuesday: Jesus Christ ate an evening Passover meal with his disciples (at the beginning of Nisan 14, biblical reckoning) and instituted tne New Covenant symbols (Matthew 26:26-28). Jesus was then betrayed by Judas, arrested and during the night brought before the high priest.

Wednesday: Jesus was crucified and died around 3 p.m. (Matthew 27:46-50). This was the preparation day for the annual, not weekly, Sabbath, which began at sunset (Mark 15:42; Luke 23:54; John 19:31). Jesus' body was placed in the tomb just before sunset (Matthew 27:57-60).

Thursday: This was the high-day Sabbath, the first day of Unleavened Bread (John 19:31; Leviticus 23:4-7). It is described as the day after the "Day of Preparation" (Matthew 27:62).

Friday: The high-day Sabbath now past, the women bought and prepared spices for anointing Jesus' body before resting on the weekly Sabbath day, which began at Friday sunset (Mark 16:1; Luke 23:56).

Saturday: The women rested on the weekly Sabbath, according to the Fourth Commandment (Luke 23:56; Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus rose near sunset, exactly three days and three nights after burial, fulfilling the sign of Jonah and authenticating the sign He gave of His messiaship.

Sunday: The women brought the prepared spices early the next morning while it was still dark (Luke 24:1; John 20:1), finding that Jesus had already risen (Matthew 28:1-6; Mark 16:2-6; Luke 24:2-3; John 20:1). He did not rise on Sunday morning, but near sunset the day before.

2006/3/31 10:47Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Jesus wasn't crucified on Friday?

Interesting. I will tuck this away for later scrutiny. Thx.

2006/4/3 0:48Profile
groh_frog

Re:

If anybody's interested, I can post the rest of the article. Honestly, it's well written and makes sense, but knowing some of what I believe to be skewed doctrine in the UCOG, I'm cautious to trust too much...

2006/4/3 12:17Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: Jesus wasn't crucified on Friday?

Just my two cents, I throw away "the Good News" when it comes in my mailbox. They have some very strange beliefs and those views are in their articles.

But what you posted was interesting. :-D

2006/4/3 12:37Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

Hi frog,
Welcome to life outside the religious box. Church architecture and much of what is taught in this hour cannot be supported by sound excegisis of the scriptures.
The account you posted is scriptural. Most of what the modern church practices surrounding these events are false.

the least of all since Paul,

Onesimus for God

2006/4/7 5:04Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Jesus wasn't crucified on Friday? Sat,Sun,Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur, guess it's important to some but I am standing with Paul on the scripture below. :-)

"I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead"

“No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven” (Philippians 3:13-14; NLT).

2006/4/7 10:31Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro Billpro
you quoted this scripture:

Quote:
“No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven” (Philippians 3:13-14; NLT).

you quoted this out of context. what Paul is talking of is his past life as a pharisee which he gave up for the cause of the gospel. you can't apply that scripture in this case. if we continue with the logic you're using then what shall we say? Christ's death was in the past so it's of no consequence? we need not learn from what the Lord showed to His servants in times past? God forbid! Such things as as are discussed in the article which started this are assaults on our faith and unless we submit ourselves to the Lord and to the study of His word and knowing it as He would have us know it, our witness will be weak. Does the word not say we should study to show ourselves approved? (2 timothy 2:15) does the Lord not reward those who seek Him in all diligence? (hebrews 11 vs 6)

there is much work to be done out there but we also have much study to do in order to be effective. if you or anyone else wants to sit and coast along it's cool,if you don't want the rewards which come with seeking the Lord in all dilligence, that's ok. i think we should seek the Lord in all things with all dilligence. now to use scripture to justify sitting on your butt, bad idea.

your signiature says not to take life so seriously because it's not permanant. true bro, but the thing is if we goof off now, we can spend eternity paying for it. if God the Father thought the matter of our salvation to be of such gravity that Christ being without sin [i][b]had[/b][/i] to die for our cause, bro you best believe He expects us to take life seriously and play around. i'm not saying one shouldn't enjoy life or anything like that but certainly we shouldn't be slacking coz there will indeed be hell to pay.

2006/4/7 12:16Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

IRONMAN, I totally understand were your coming from but only God and hopefully I know his will for me, and what I am doing right now at this moment with my remarks and my attitude might line directly up with his will for me "I am confessing it does" because when you have a peace within with all your doing, there is a reason for the peace, and remember all you do in your works, God still says that there not any man righteous, no not one.

I feel like my job here on earth and is Gods will for me is to lighten up the hard core Christians that do take life so serious you know the kind, the ones that looks as if there are at a funeral at church or the ones that there face would probably break if they were to smile and as long as I feel I am in Gods will I will continue to have the attitude I have, because remember he made us all different and just because you or anyone goes to the extreme to all ends of the earth to please God he loves me the same and I could still be right in the middle of his will for me, he is "NO" respecter of man, or man's works.

2006/4/7 18:58Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

IRONMAN wrote:
Christ's death was in the past so it's of no consequence?

I would sure hope that no one in ther right mind thought that was what I meant, :-?
But for the record I was trying to say in laymens terms that we should not spend to much time focusing on the past and look to look forward to what lies ahead.

2006/4/7 19:18Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I haven't dug deeply into this particular topic, but I thought this was worth posting.

I asked our seminary professor, who is very knowledgeable of the aspects of Israel in it's biblical setting, whether OT or NT. I posed the question of whether or not there is any way we can know what day of the week Christ was crucified/raised. He said there was no possible way to know.

He brought up the fact that the established calendar then was not consistent with what we have now. For one, they used 360 day years for quite some time, and then transitioned to 365 day years. Another factor is that the Roman calendar, which we still use today, was not necessarily in tune, day by day, with the Hebrew calendar that Jesus and the Jews would have been using.

The Hebrew calendar was as such that you ended up having two different months to keep up with. One was a religious month system, and one was agricultural month system.

I am not saying our professor is the know-all, end-all authority, but he knows his stuff, and his take was that there is now way to know, going back by our (Roman) calendar, which day of our current week Jesus was crucified/raised on.

Rebuttals are welcome.

2006/4/7 23:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy