SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : what is the christian missionary alliance denomination?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

what is the christian missionary alliance denomination?

Can anyone tell me about the christian and missionary alliance?

Is it a denomination?

I know Tozer was a part of it, and the website tells me a little bit, but maybe someone could tell me a bit more about them.

Thanks guys,

Have a blessed day,

Matthew

2006/3/29 15:43Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: what is the christian missionary alliance denomination?

The Christian Missionary Alliance is a denomination that was originally an alliance between missionaries, founded by A.B. Simpson. It's roots are grounded in the holiness tradition, with some Pentecostal influence.

2006/3/29 15:52Profile

Originally it was not a denomination, but an association of Christians who supported missions. Thus "Christian & Missionary Alliance". The organization was formed by A.B. Simpson around the turn of the century.

Over the years it grew so big that they became a "denomination" because it was easier to deal with government regulations and tax laws as a denomination. At least thats what I understand. I dont have a problem with that.

It is an evangelical denomination, and altho it is not Charismatic, they do not rule out tongues, but neither do they push tongues. Some of the churches teach tithing, but the official teachings of the CMA is that believers are to give generously as instructed by the Paul, but not under the law of "tithing" in the OT.

They are a very balanced denomination, and one that I would personally recommend if someone is looking for a traditional church model. Personally I am a house church type of person myself.

My only issue with the CMA is the acceptance and almost universal use of the NIV. But 99% of the people on this forum dont care about that... but I thought I would mention it.

Why do I know so much about it? One of my closest friends is a CMA missionary to Germany.

Krispy

2006/3/29 15:52
sermonindex

Canada

Online!

Hi Brother,

It was a denomination started by A.B. Simpson. Some of the emphasis's are holiness, sanctification and missions (evangelism). Here is a link to the hompage of the denominations website: http://www.cmalliance.org/

here is an excerpt from the Missionary Alliance website that will be helpful to read:

[b]How did the C&MA come to be?[/b]

A Brief History
The Christian and Missionary Alliance began as a deeper life and missionary movement initiated by Dr. Albert B. Simpson in 1887 to mobilize the under-utilized lay forces and resources of the churches to "take the whole Bible to the whole world." He believed that a life completely yielded to Christ was one in which service to Christ would be of paramount importance. A person controlled by the Holy Spirit has no choice but to be involved in bringing the Good News to others, either as an overseas missionary or as a missionary at home.

The founder was reluctant to establish churches, preferring to call together Christians with a vision to evangelize the world but who remained in their local churches. However, the Christ-centered emphasis in teaching and the priority on missions made many people unwelcome in their denominations, causing them to form groups that for years were called "branches," not churches. By the mid-1970s, it became clear that The Alliance was a denomination in all but name, so with revised bylaws and constitution that reality was formalized in 1974.

Our history is rich in ministry. The cornerstone of our National Office building in Colorado Springs is a visual reminder of our roots. It was first laid at the Gospel Tabernacle in New York City in 1889.

Highlights of C&MA History
Visit the C&MA National Archives site to view a chronological history of The Christian and Missionary Alliance. Or point your browser to http://www.cmalliance.org/whoweare/archives/timeline.jsp.

--

A little side note also is that Leonard Ravenhill with 2 other men in england started their own calvary holiness denomination and as it grew quite fast after prayer they decided to join their denomination to the missionary alliance denomination exisiting in that day.

2006/3/29 15:55Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

Thanks guys,

I go to a calvary chapel, here in fredericksburg, VA, and love it. But I thought I would find out what is up with this denomination.

Sounds like a great thing to be a part of.

Bless all of you guys for helping me and feel free to email me with a prayer request anytime

matthew

2006/3/29 15:57Profile

Re:

Hey... Calvary Chapel is a good church too! I love Chuck Smith (and he is a KJV perferrer too).

:-)

Krispy

2006/3/29 16:06
paula4jc

I have attended both the Chapel and the Alliance and even though I found them biblical in their teaching I stop going. I think it really depends on the pastor of the one you attend. The Alliance congregations were much warmer than all Chapels I have been, but neither seems to exhibit the power of the Holy Sprit. I strongly believe the Chapels preach prewritten sermons, because there's no other way to explain such ice cold congregations under such strong sermons, and it has been the same in all them I had been.

2006/3/29 18:54Profile

Re:

Each one is autonomous. I think I spelled that right. I've been in some that were cold, some that were hot. The CMA seems to attract a much older crowd. We visited a CMA church locally about a year ago... and when we walked into the sanctuary it looked like a cotton field... little puffs of white everywhere (white hair).

The CMA is much more alive in other countries. Very vibrant churches all over the world, but in the US they do need to change their approach or they could die out.

But then, God is working much more around the world than He is here in America. We've turned our backs on Him, while the rest of the world is embracing Him. We've chosen worldly riches.

Krispy

2006/3/30 7:54
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

thanks guys,

I pray we can have a spritual awakening that has long been needed in America. Join me today to just pray for people to have more of a hunger for Jesus in the U.S.

We can be such an example to the world, but look at us, I feel we all take things for granted.

You all have a blessed day

Matthew

2006/3/30 8:43Profile
groh_frog

Re:

In the town I'm originally from, the three largest churches in town are the CMA, SDA, and LDS. I didn't spend too much time with the CMA church, but I respect them. They were well know for the fact that they "tell it like it is" in regards to exposing mormonism, Jehova's witnesses, etc. Also, they were pretty active in hosting large outreaches to the community using events based around the holidays or other special days.

2006/3/31 11:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy