Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : a thought-provoking read

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
nacl

Babylon

a thought-provoking read

Hey guys.

Here's a book I recently came across that I think that at least some of y'all would really enjoy reading.

It's a fictional work relating the story of a pastor who encounters a stranger who shatters his perception of church, Christianity, and even God Himself.

In their succession of encounters, the stranger brings out a hunger for God in the pastor. In the five chapters which I have read, we are seeing more and more that God wants to be our very life (Colossians 3:4). He is all in all (1 Corinthians 15:28). We are encouraged to seek to live in the love of God.

I am not much for fiction, but I would certainly recommend reading this book, called "So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore?"

You can find it at http://www.jakecolsen.com

May God's blessings be upon you!

D.

2006/3/29 14:52Profile
nacl

Babylon

Re: a thought-provoking read

Let me take back what I said; this is more than a "thought-provoking book," although it is that. This is a searching, potentially paradigm-busting book.

For some reason I just can't stop reading it.

I wish I had started to keep track of the powerful quotes contained in the first nine chapters. There are many, and now I seriously doubt I could go back and find them without rereading the whole thing.

Here are a couple from chapter 10:
"Discipline holds great value when your eye is on the treasure. But as a substitute for that treasure, obligation can be a real detriment when it gives you satisfaction just for completing a task."

"It’s not about teaching, Jake. It’s about living. Learn to live this life and you’ll have no end of folks to share it with. Teach it first, however, and that will be your substitute for living it."

"Does trusting God to do what you think is best really sound like trusting God to you?"

Deep, right?

By the way, the main premise of the book is not "quiting church," as the title might suggest.

Anyway, not to sound too overbearing (or corny) but I will once again recommend this book to my SI brethren. I believe you'll enjoy it, your desire to live in God's life will be increased, and I can almost guarantee that you'll ask yourself questions you never have before.

Shameless promoter of a stranger's book (http://www.jakecolsen.com),
D.

2006/3/30 0:54Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy